Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeeah, but it was called the 'Madoff Rule' for a reason. Look how that turned out for ol'Bernie... Indeed, the 'rule' is the only thing that survived Madoff's tenure on Wall St.

Expecting Wall St to act morally/ethically/properly is a wishful excercise, one full of counter-examples. ie: 2008 sub-prime and the rating agencies. Jus' sayin' ;)

Cheers!
There's a good chance that Madoff was at least partially behind the removal of the uptick rule (originally enacted in 1938 by the SEC "to protect investors from manipulative short-sellers"). The uptick rule was withdrawn by the SEC in late 2007. Bernie was arrested in December 2008. So, perhaps not the only "rule" that survived. Just sayin'.

TESLA analysts and shorts finally got it right: Tesla is indeed going to $300 again...it’s just that it took a 5:1 stock split!
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f605.png
1f4a9.png

I would have awarded this post with a "Funny" if the joke didn't already appear about 10 pages back. So I gave it "Helpful" instead.

I apologize. No ribbons for second place.

Can we knock it off with the personal attacks (I just removed a bunch). And can we pleaaase find someone who really knows, by profession, what this ‘dividend stock split thing’ means for naked shorting, taxes, etc. There’s way too much speculation, there must be someone who can provide the correct answers.

Calling @Curt Renz...1-800-CUR-TRNZ

Not if it's a dividend, no. That's the key difference from a regular split.

They are still short T-2 days from the registered date (Aug 21).

So there's gonna be shorts rushing to cover in the next ~5 trading days to avoid all this.

And then more of them rushing to come up with 4 post-split shares per borrowed share by August 28th.

I agree with most of what you said but there is not going to be any rapid short covering mainly because shorts can always borrow the newly created shares from market and pay the shares to the original holder of stock. It does not change the net $ amount of short position. IMHO Stock split or stock dividend split does not change anything for shorts or option holders but it grand scheme of things, it is bullish indicator because it signals that the company believes that either stock price is continue to go up or stay at this level for foreseeable future.

What if you have sell orders open? Do they also convert automatically? (using Keytrade & Binckbank)

You will have to ask your individual broker and/or check your account agreement.

Chances are, they do. Because brokers don't like chaos and mayhem at their offices. But they also like to protect themselves so they might not be contractually obligated to convert sell orders automatically (in case they make a mistake).

• Love
Reactions: Cobbler
Hey gang,

As a Belgian, I am against the announced stock split. If they did a forward-split I'd be fine with it, but TSLA is doing a stock dividend split, i.e. for each share held an investor receives 4 extra shares in dividend.

Enter the Belgian Tax system: all dividends - stock or cash - are income which are taxed at 30% income tax. ("roerende voorheffing")

So my current TSLA stock holdings will be taxed at (80% x 30%) = 24%

I asked my broker if there is no way around this and will get an answer before August 21st. If negative, it'll be way cheaper for me to sell my entire position and rebuy in September. (Which will be taxed too, albeit lower)

Or I'd have to convert everything to LEAPS but that's a risky play.

So for once the old "buy and hold" is definitely NOT the best investment strategey.

Any Belgians (@Lycanthrope @NicoV @Cohiba ) on this forum getting info from their accountants/brokers, please share. I will too when I hear more.

EDIT: just read the @StealthP3D post saying this stockdividend is a "no value" dividend. If this is true (and it feels that way, I mean I am holding shares of +/- $1500 each and they are being reduced in value equal to the amount of stock dividend I receive) and the Belgian Tax system taxes me 30% on 0$ I'm of course fine with it. Will update if I hear more.

EDIT2: @Boomer19 clarified some things regarding the terminology used in investing on the one hand and taxation on the other hand. I am less worried but am awaiting final confirmation from my broker.

To be clear: if there are no tax consequences I'm fully on board with the stock-split. I could buy LEAPS again frivolously!
It might help to understand the difference between the stock price and the "Par value" of the shares. Tesla shares were created at a Par value of 0.01c each (I think that's right, but some trivial price anyway). Tesla is actually issuing lots and lots of these new shares, and it is costing them about 4*196M*$.0001 ~= $78,400 that moves from their cash to their "paid up capital" on the balance sheet. The value of the dividend to you is measured in fractions of euro cents. There are also tax treaties in place that I think mean that you won't be affected. (Australia has similar tax treaties with the US, and I have had splits of US stock while living in Oz. Nothing happened.)

Thanks again for the many responses by @Boomer19 , @StealthP3D , @Lycanthrope , @NicoV , @ggr (and others) to calm my nerves.

It only seems reasonable that the stock split - even if it would technically be in the form of a stock "dividend" - is non taxable since the value of the newly acquires stocks is (relatively) zero.

That said, as @ByeByeJohnny said international tax issues can always arise, therefore I will seek more answers with my broker and/or accountant and post here if I get some details.

Can we knock it off with the personal attacks (I just removed a bunch). And can we pleaaase find someone who really knows, by profession, what this ‘dividend stock split thing’ means for naked shorting, taxes, etc. There’s way too much speculation, there must be someone who can provide the correct answers.
I am with YOU! I asked if anyone could get Hiero to do a Q&A with a group of YOUTUBERS/Ludicrous.

• Funny
Reactions: LN1_Casey
Don’t know, I always place orders that typically execute the same day.
<enter hundreds of TMC posters telling you to put in a sell order at $3.000 to prevent your shares being borrowed>

(note to those TMC posters: with Belgian brokers your shares can by default not be lent out. You have to allow your broker to do this explicitly and you receive some intrest fees for it)

i am, and i did, in repeated posts