Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard Tesla's cost $100,000 and more than that if you want one that's not slow! :rolleyes:
You say that as if it were a joke, but just yesterday someone asked me about my car (M3MR) and they kept coming back to the starting price being $80,000 to $90,000. They weren't trolling me: they were genuinely interested in Tesla but all of the various anti-Tesla propaganda keeps getting repeated so often that people end up thinking its true. (In the end I think I they left convinced to buy a Tesla in a few years -- their plan is for it to be a retirement vehicle. They don't like the looks of the cybertruck but it is very hard to argue with that price/performance.)

Why not?

Fed officials expect that coronavirus will 'weigh heavily' on the economy, minutes show

All stocks are showing the same drop. Algos at work, daytraders following. It isn’t always about manipulation.

TSLA went down -2.0% while the QQQ (NASDAQ-100) went down 0.6% over the same 20 minutes:

TSLA.chart.2020-08-19.14-21.png

TSLA share price at 2:00 pm (the 1-min VWAP) was $1,907.50 and the 2:21 pm share price was $1,869.61 which is just under a -2.0% drop, which is what I've been describing for months.

That's what 'manipulation' means. The fact that its done is plain sight doesn't change the meaning or the word. They trade 50 shares back and forth daily, usually in increments of 2% so they're constantly accumulating shares. You won't see it if you don't look.

Now, Marketwatch publishing a headling the 'TSLA about to go down' 10 min before the report comes out from the Fed Meeting? That's not 'manipulation'. That's a Securities violation. One which will never be prosecuted, since US lawmakers make money on their prior knowledge. Not the same as 'manipulation' though:

ma·nip·u·la·tion
/məˌnipyəˈlāSHən/

noun: manipulation; plural noun: manipulations
  1. the action of manipulating something in a skillful manner.
    "the format allows fast picture manipulation"
  2. the action of manipulating someone in a clever or unscrupulous way.
    "there was no deliberate manipulation of visitors' emotions"
These MMs are all of skillful, clever, and unsrcupulous. Sometimes manipulation is just manipulation. Its how they make money, similar to the hunting strategy of ambush predators.

EDIT:

For comparison, here's a chart comparing APPL (Apple, Inc.) to the QQQ over the same time period: (notice that the 'macros' actually moved slightly more than did AAPL shares)

AAPL.Chart.2020-08-19.14-22.png

I hope that after TSLA is a well-established component of the S&P 500 it transforms into a stable stock that resists the vagaries of daily tide cycles, instead of being battered about like a dinghy on a stormy coast.

Cheers!

Last edited:
For years and years, when checking SP, first digit used to be 3.
Then things started to change.
My familiar 3 got lost.
I could not get used to those rapid changing digits.
Staring at the ticker got me paralized.
Luckily is being paralized of form of HODL.
Split was announced, I got new hopes.
Would I be able to see that comforting 3 again?
Now it looks like I will miss out on my favorite 3.
What to do?
Just wait for the next split I suppose,
just buy a 3.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and bpjod
Can I just vent a little of my frustration with the Bay Area here?

First we have Covid so everyone is more or less stuck out home.

Then for the past days straight it's been reaching about 100 degrees here on the Peninsula (south of SF, north of San Jose). This area is known for having relatively mild weather historically, so much so that most of houses built mid-century have absolutely shitake for insulation and no AC. There's not even space in walls / ceilings to add AC - people either add it onto their roofs (very ugly) or during a full renovation.

But usually most people in this area don't even have it because the hot days were never that hot and too few inbetween. Now it's getting more frequent. And PG&E can't even handle the electrical demand so they are shutting off people's power again.

This is in arguably the most expensive market (outside of Manhattan) in the U.S.

Then Saturday night there was a totally freakish thunderstorm that came in (it wasn't even anywhere on forecast Saturday) and the lightening struck 2000 times in the Santa Cruz mountains, starting a whole bunch of fires.

Now that smoke is covering most of the Bay Area (trapped in by mountains) and the air quality is horrific.

So here we are, it's too effing hot with no central AC. Can't hang out outside. And portable / wall unit ACs will just pump in more of this trash air. Oh and the power might go out again.

The connection to Tesla is of course global warming, poor grid stability, and heck even not good enough options of AC systems / filtration.

Even the Bay Area needs Tesla.

Funny, not funny story. On my way out the door early this morning, I opened the balcony door about 4” so the cat could go out on the ‘enclosed’ balcony (no, the cat isn’t loose wandering the neighborhood, peeing in people’s shrubs — he stays on the balcony) so he could get some fresh? smoky air.

I return home a few hours later and my spouse is informing me that shortly after I left all the smoke alarms in our home started going off. Oops.

Yeah, the smoke is as bad, maybe worse, than it was from the Paradise fire. :(

Funny, not funny story. On my way out the door early this morning, I opened the balcony door about 4” so the cat could go out on the ‘enclosed’ balcony (no, the cat isn’t loose wandering the neighborhood, peeing in people’s shrubs — he stays on the balcony) so he could get some fresh? smoky air.

I return home a few hours later and my spouse is informing me that shortly after I left all the smoke alarms in our home started going off. Oops.

Yeah, the smoke is as bad, maybe worse, than it was from the Paradise fire. :(

Time for an S or X if you don't already have one - for the Bioweapon defence mode. It really works.

If it got really bad - I'd go sleep in it.

I did some "thinking" and tried to sell a few shares at $1916 late yesterday, <5% of my position. SP never clicked back up high enough to execute. I think that's gonna be it for my adventures in selling, there's just too much chance of near-term squeeze.

Will revisit between Battery Day and the election. Have a feeling that even then I'll be hesitant to miss any day-after-election bump.
Come on Talking Mule. I mentioned yesterday when I went back and looked at the posts on Feb 4th that you posed the question about selling a large portion of your TSLA at $1400?:rolleyes:

Been a while since posting here. Just thought I would offer some perspective. This is what TSLA has meant to me and my wife. It has enable this dream for us. Not an island...just a mountain. Now we're working on the house to go on it.

Stay calm. Stay long. Use the money when it enables dreams to come true. That's what we did anyway.

Advice.

Dan

That’s a helluva mountain. Congrats!! Take care of it.

TSLA went down -2.0% while the QQQ (NASDAQ-100) went down 0.6% over the same 20 minutes:

View attachment 578342
That's what 'manipulation' means. The fact that its done is plain sight doesn't change the meaning or the word.

Now, Marketwatch publishing a headling the 'TSLA about to go down' 10 min before the report comes out from the Fed Meeting? That's not 'manipulation'. That's a Securities violation. One which will never be prosecuted, since US lawmakers make money on their prior knowledge. Not the same as 'manipulation' though:

ma·nip·u·la·tion
/məˌnipyəˈlāSHən/

noun: manipulation; plural noun: manipulations
  1. the action of manipulating something in a skillful manner.
    "the format allows fast picture manipulation"
  2. the action of manipulating someone in a clever or unscrupulous way.
    "there was no deliberate manipulation of visitors' emotions"
These MMs are all of skillful, clever, and unsrcupulous. Sometimes manipulation is just manipulation. Its how they make money, similar to the hunting strategy of ambush predators.

Cheers!

I will just add that the premarket and morning dip was supported by this article. I think most of the Tesla investors are smart enough to realize these tactics are getting very old.

2E8B0439-12E9-4AAB-A0CC-CA04BCECB3D8.jpeg

I will just add that the premarket and morning dip was supported by this article. I think most of the Tesla investors are smart enough to realize these tactics are getting very old.

View attachment 578353
When I saw that article this morning I took a look at Stock Option Max Pain

I don't know how accurate that is, but if so the market makers have their work cut out for them: knocking >$200 off the stock price by Friday. It will take a concerted effort to pull off under current conditions. I think they didn't anticipate the stock split (and resulting upside) and are trying to reel things back in.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Apparently new Toyota vehicles will upload driving data to AWS in order craft personalized insurance premiums. See this article. I wonder if this move was prompted by Tesla?

Article also notes they've been talking about doing these data enabled things since 2016 without actually doing any of it... which is pretty on-brand for Toyota who took 15 years too long to bring the Supra back and by the time they did it was largely a mediocre rebadged BMW

I did some "thinking" and tried to sell a few shares at $1916 late yesterday, <5% of my position. SP never clicked back up high enough to execute. I think that's gonna be it for my adventures in selling, there's just too much chance of near-term squeeze.

Will revisit between Battery Day and the election. Have a feeling that even then I'll be hesitant to miss any day-after-election bump.
Too bad you couldn't trade on the Berlin exchange... it was over 1920 USD there when I went to bed, that must have been why I slept so well (no comments BlackS... I know you've been waiting all morning).