Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In sold a $2500 two weeks ago :confused:. I am still wondering if I should take action.

It depends, I suppose. I have no need to buy my call back, since I need the cash by next month, and I'll probably head over to the Wheel thread and sell some puts after this call is exercised since I was not expecting a call that was $100 OTM when I sold it, and now I have lots of cash to twiddle my thumbs with. May buy a call too, to see if this rally goes up some more!

Just noticed that although the total of my shares at Merrill (BoA) is correct, I cannot correctly specify (pre-split) lots to sell. The pre-split lots are still at the original purchase size.

The neat thing is that I was tempted to sell a few, but couldn't do what I wanted. I was tempted to do the dirty need (sell), but was prevented by the invisible hand of a higher power. Hallelujah!

HODL-on, my friends, HODL-on.

Can someone please help me understand and find the hole in my logic on short-selling (not naked short-selling).

Before the split:
(A) buys 1 share in the market. Lends it to (B). (B) sells the share to (C) for cash (and hopes to re-buy later at a lower price).
(A) has 1 "synthetic" share; (C) has a real share.

After the split
(C) gets 4 additional shares.
(A) still has only 1 "synthetic" share but wants 4 more "synthetic" shares
(B) "makes profit" - yay - the one share owed is only 20% of the value - however, (B) also owes 4 more shares to (A) - to honour the split - so sadly "no profit". Normally that's not a big deal: shares are only 20% and you can buy the in the open market, right? - i.e. this is in theory a "neutral" situation. Unless you can't buy shares in the open market because all of a sudden there are so many shorted shares and the float is too little.

What we have right now might exactly NOT be naked short-selling but large scale short-selling and the effects of a significant reduction in float: the synthetic shares did not multiply, and of course people expect a settlement in shares not in USD. So if there are no naked shorts, this creates massive "ownership pressure" of shares which might contribute to the "buying pressure" we see right now.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yeah, can we discuss something easier, like quantum mechanics or the workings of the female mind?

In sold a $2500 two weeks ago :confused:. I am still wondering if I should take action.
I have some 600 covered calls this week. If they get called, I’ll sell 600 outs next week and hope to get them back. If not, I may keep selling puts, or diversify a bit. I’ve gone from 25% Tesla to 75%++ and am a bit old to have so many eggs in one basket. Glad I hung on last year when times were tough and wish I had dumped some 401k and redirected to Tesla. I wasn’t comfortable 100% Tesla when I’m within 5 years of retirement.
I’m blown away by the ongoing rally. I think the naked short thing may be real. I’m not a fan of the topic, but it seems real. That could also explain why S&P is delayed. Everyone on the S&P board would know who’s short and there’d be pressure to delay until they can get clear of their sinking ship. Will be interesting if we get another similar rise, or if post split we will stabilize.
Looking forward to some 1000 covered calls. There were 4200 covered calls 840 split adjusted. Those are now too close to market price.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Called my broker (in Ireland) today as number of shares has stayed the same, but value has adjusted to the post-split price.
Was told that they are waiting for the shares to come in from Bank of America in next day or so. Delay "possibly due to high volume."

That word "possibly" due to high volume is good cover for likely lawsuits. They are not saying it WAS high volume, just a loose speculation that maybe it was high volume without claiming to know the real reason. It seems likely the shares didn't exist and must be obtained on the open market to cover their shenanigans. Because it's normal for splits to happen on the hottest stock of the year and hot stocks have high volume.

And if you think Bank of America can be trusted, think again:

Bank of America 'systematically' misled clients about stock trades

Last edited:
Called my broker (in Ireland) today as number of shares has stayed the same, but value has adjusted to the post-split price.
Was told that they are waiting for the shares to come in from Bank of America in next day or so. Delay "possibly due to high volume."

BofA - also a long-time $TSLA bear, only recently "flipped" with a more sensible PT.

Seeing an emerging pattern here...

I'm not pushing for any theory. I'm just pointing out what I believe to be insufficiently backed up theories presented almost as if they're facts.

My Mother was a genteel southern lady. As a young man, whenever I would cuss or swear, she would say to me: “Swearing lacks style and grace.”

Particularly disdainful of hypocrisy, my Mother would almost never cuss nor swear herself; but when she did say *sugar*, you could almost smell it.

Tesla price target raised to $290 from $170 at RBC Capital

Breaking News: TSLA latest news. - The Fly

'RBC Capital analyst Joseph Spak raised the firm's price target on Tesla to $290 from $170 but keeps an Underperform rating on the shares. The analyst acknowledges that the company transformed the industry in terms of its push toward electrification and vehicle architecture, also generating a consumer perception that it is a "superior vehicle", which may lead to market share gains and higher margins through premium pricing. Spak warns however that Tesla's "quality and service" of operation are "below average" and must be improved, while noting that he still sees the stock as "fundamentally overvalued".

I think we're going to be entering a Tesla analyst replacement supercycle.

I have some 600 covered calls this week. If they get called, I’ll sell 600 outs next week and hope to get them back. If not, I may keep selling puts, or diversify a bit. I’ve gone from 25% Tesla to 75%++ and am a bit old to have so many eggs in one basket. Glad I hung on last year when times were tough and wish I had dumped some 401k and redirected to Tesla. I wasn’t comfortable 100% Tesla when I’m within 5 years of retirement.

I’m investing In TSLA to get within 5 years of retirement.

Tesla price target raised to $290 from $170 at RBC Capital

Breaking News: TSLA latest news. - The Fly

'RBC Capital analyst Joseph Spak raised the firm's price target on Tesla to $290 from $170 but keeps an Underperform rating on the shares. The analyst acknowledges that the company transformed the industry in terms of its push toward electrification and vehicle architecture, also generating a consumer perception that it is a "superior vehicle", which may lead to market share gains and higher margins through premium pricing. Spak warns however that Tesla's "quality and service" of operation are "below average" and must be improved, while noting that he still sees the stock as "fundamentally overvalued".

Makes sense. Some cars have panel gaps. Better get rid of $200B of market cap. /s