Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Added 100 shares to adjust to the new dilution. :D

Good idea! To partially adjust, I'm trying to add 25 shares limit at $481.43 after contributing $7K to my Roth IRA and selling the BIP (Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P.) position I had in there. Who needs dividends anyway? ;)

I'm really sorry some of you do not have access to your share dividend yet or options. That really sux and the brokers involved have no excuse for their incompetence!

Same here. Who is your broker? I rang mine, Equiniti and was told the new shares would appear either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I made exactly the same point to them that I am unable to trade. Their explanation was half-baked so I have raised an official complaint. This isnt the only problem Ive had recently with Equiniti. I am on the look out for a a new UK broker.

With Share.com .. until I complete transfer to Schwab. This should then allow me to trade as if based in USA including pre and after market, and access to CFD's and the like without any of the daft UK time restrictions on trading US stocks.

Quite a lot of Banks/Brookers in Europe mine in Germany is one of them, do show the correct after Split Stock price but remain the pre split amount of shares.

IOW, my deport is now about 80% down :eek: if I would believe what they display to me. Even worse there is no proper information but just that they can do it earliest Sept 2nd.

It's incredible and unprofessional and that from a large Bank like BNP Paribas I am otherwise actually quite happy with.

I just wrote a letter explaining my dissatisfaction with their service and communication.

Any chance that is Cortal Consors? Same here. But some of my shares are at Smartbrokers and they were fine yesterday. Correct amount of shares with correct price. And guess what. Both share the same BNP Paribas holding company...

I already expressed my strong disagreement with this behaviour and will switch all my depots to Smartbroker and IBKR. later this week.

I haven't had any caffeine today so am a little slow. The number of shares made available are about the number of shares the naked shorts need to acquire post split, right? So is Tesla saying pay your fines directly to us for your bad behaviour?
No, only about 1/4 of the known pre-split shorts, and there are some number of naked shorts but we don't know how many.

I wrote this comment here on Aug 22, 2020 (10 days ago). Not a single tag or reply. How's it aging so far? :p

Next week is Aug 24-28. The OP is talking about not having his dividends in place by Sep 3rd and no guarantee of that date either.

Do you understand the implied/potential issues for UK beneficial owners of TSLA?

Do you have any evidence to back up this theory? It's a pretty wild claim to say that the reason extra shares haven't shown up in accounts at some brokers yet is because these brokers were naked short their clients' assets. This is a really wild theory, that I'm extremely skeptical of.

I have to say that I've lost quite a bit of respect for you over the past few weeks, because of how many theories you've thrown out here with little to no evidence to back them up.

I do appreciate your action reports, and the attention you've brought to likely illegal abuse of naked shorting, but I personally don't think your wild theories with little to no evidence from the past few weeks are helpful.

Those of us that were ahead of the market on Tesla by a number of years (I started buying in 2015) needed to act on "wild theories" with "little or no evidence."

In order to make our investments when we did, we needed to make judgements that were, to an uniformed observer, very risky and based on wisps of information seen hazily through smoke and mirrors.

You wish to be presented a case, just as management in a company would. This is useful sometimes, but is necessarily limiting.

There are other times when it is useful to be able to be the blind man that perceives the elephant with the fewest touches. Sometimes the trick, as in the situation under discussion, is getting the touches at all.

For the record, I respect both you, @FrankSG, and you @Artful Dodger. I find your interchanges interesting and informative. I also hear the differences in your ages and amount of life experience.

Last edited:
It's too bad for you guys being on the sideline because of bad brokers.

It's not a US vs Euro thing since my Scandinavian broker shows the correct price and number of shares.
Hearing about these problems I did a small sale for $502 at open and then later a buyback around $490. Both executed fast without a glitch.

My broker is Nordnet.no which has a Swedish HQ. How options are handled I do not know since I stay far away from those.

So, if we were really seeing manipulation from Naked Short Selling, would this be happening in US accounts as well? I just read a half dozen pages in this thread, and ALL the complaints are from non-US broker accounts.

So, smells more like issues with handling foreign stocks than from brazen Naked Short Selling. But, heck, I know nothing.

View attachment 583221

Several UK-based shareholders (including myself) have reported we can’t see the extra 4 shares for each one held pre-split in our accounts, and we’ve been informed we won’t receive these shares until later this week (my broker, specifically, mentioned Friday the 3rd as the earliest we’d be provided with these extra shares).
Which means that regardless of what the stock does these days, I can only buy more or sell a maximum of 20% of my actual TSLA holding at post-split share prices until Friday at the minimum, but possibly until next week. No way around it. And we’re supposed to be fine with that.

See my comment earlier :-
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

I was *unable* to place a sell order earlier today. I cannot sell. The sum involved would have been 7 figures. I am not a happy bunny and have taken the broker to task on this point as to who is responsible. They have not responded.

Quite a lot of Banks/Brookers in Europe mine in Germany is one of them, do show the correct after Split Stock price but remain the pre split amount of shares.

IOW, my deport is now about 80% down :eek: if I would believe what they display to me. Even worse there is no proper information but just that they can do it earliest Sept 2nd.

It's incredible and unprofessional and that from a large Bank like BNP Paribas I am otherwise actually quite happy with.

I just wrote a letter explaining my dissatisfaction with their service and communication.

Many people here have said they they themselves where unable to trade on their assets during this period.

I'll admit the conspiracy theory sounding stuff with naked shorting sounds questionable but it's also well beyond my understanding of how the markets work. And @Artful Dodger is a person on this forum I don't have confidence to place much doubt in.
No. Just a few with foreign accounts who go through proxies and warned their customers in advance. Point to any US customers who have been unable to trade. There are none.

Reactions: generalenthu
It's too bad for you guys being on the sideline because of bad brokers.

It's not a US vs Euro thing since my Scandinavian broker shows the correct price and number of shares.
Hearing about these problems I did a small sale for $502 at open and then later a buyback around $490. Both executed fast without a glitch.

My broker is Nordnet.no which has a Swedish HQ. How options are handled I do not know since I stay far away from those.

Likewise, here in Belgium with Keytrade Bank I received the extra shares before main market yesterday. I did have to wait until today though to get options regularised, so I couldn't trade my existing portfolio (not that I wanted to), but I was able to sell a call yesterday with the new options-chain and could buy some post-split shares too.

So despite not sending any information on what was going on, they did everything in good order - same for all others I know what use the same bank.

I'm a happy camper. Offering was small....seems like Tesla is dictating all the terms on the offering....and that S&P inclusion should be happening this week.

I'm so tired of S&P inclusion speculation and what effect it'll have on the stock, etc...

It'll be nice to get all the speculative items out of the way and see where the share price settles instead of waiting on so many "what if's" that are completely out of Tesla's control. We can finally start speculating on Tesla's actual business again :)

Well on the bright side you no long need to worry about German capital gains taxes. /s

Cheers!