Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just getting up with the thread after my foolish nap, and lo and behold; I DID pull a @wipster!

Since then I pulled up my cost per share list, and realized the dip today was still higher than all except the last few shares, so there's that! ;)
Damn @Joe F you came up with a new saying! Hope it eventually means a good thing. And yes, for all those who think the sky is falling, seriously, it's now just a reset to Monday morning!

I've noticed whenever there is a headline about an EV manufacturer it invariably begins "Tesla rival xxx.....". They can't help themselves. They have to bring Tesla into the story. It's particularly noticeable when reporting on the Chinese EV manufacturers. On the other hand when GM announces its results or any other news, the headline is never "Ford rival GM...."

In some ways it's irritating but looking at it the other way, maybe we should welcome it. Tesla has become the benchmark for electric vehicles, the gold standard. It's impossible to report any news about electric vehicles without a comparison to the leader of the pack.
The only thing worse than them talking about you...is them not talking about you.

I've noticed whenever there is a headline about an EV manufacturer it invariably begins "Tesla rival xxx.....". They can't help themselves. They have to bring Tesla into the story. It's particularly noticeable when reporting on the Chinese EV manufacturers. On the other hand when GM announces its results or any other news, the headline is never "Ford rival GM...."

In some ways it's irritating but looking at it the other way, maybe we should welcome it. Tesla has become the benchmark for electric vehicles, the gold standard. It's impossible to report any news about electric vehicles without a comparison to the leader of the pack.

Indeed. It's becoming something like people referring to any brand of facial tissues as "Kleenex". Outside of this message board, it seems that people now tend to use the word Tesla, when they more generally mean EV. :cool:

I don’t buy the Baillie Gifford line about their rule concerning a limit of what they can hold.

They will not have a limit against having money. So, they could have sold it more gently. plus, in a very short time there will be plenty of buyers interested in those chairs,
Unless the idea was to keep as many chairs as possible. Then dumping a bunch in one go helps to make the remaining Chairs less valuable, meeting the rule again.

Who said they dumped it in one go? All we know is they filed for a holding below 5% at the end of the quarter. They've been incredibly supportive of Tesla and Elon through all the ups-and-downs. Most likely they've been selling nice and slow on run-up days in order to maximise their returns.

Because you shouldn’t try to time the market..?
I seriously hope you aren't suggesting that buying during the COVID drop is "trying to time the market". Trying to hit the bottom would be, but plenty of investors bought on the way down. And it wasn't a momentary drop like today, it was an extended buying extravaganza. And it isn't like I was asleep the entire time. I didn't buy on the way down even though I had cash to do so.

I'm no advocate of trying to time the market. I have tried to do some dollar cost averaging and I did go to great lengths to get some dry powder during the great short seller give away in 2019. But, as I've said before, my buy during that drop was reasonably close to the bottom due to luck, nothing else.

Timing the peaks and valleys is a fools errand, but buying during a dip just makes sense.

Put another way, the reason I didn't buy today was that I'm so concentrated in $TSLA it will take a great buy to get me to go in further. The decision had nothing to do with timing the market, it was all about managing risk. For me, going to >95% $TSLA is too much risk without it being a great buying opportunity. For some being 95% in would be too much risk, while others would say it is too little.

To each their own, but that is risk management, not market timing.

Well I bought at 488 and 484. Got one limit order for a lower amount. I'm gonna grit my teeth and hang in there! :D New investor nerves!

Trust me. Been holding for over 8 years, so I speak from experience. Your money will be fine and it will grow as if coming from a tree, if you just stay seated with arms and legs kept inside the ride as you were instructed.

Words of wisdom from Ross Gerber...

Tesla fans. Don’t be alarmed. It’s called profit taking. All of us responsible institutions do it. Even tesla sold tesla stock at $500. This is all normal. Now it has to find a price level it’s happy at before it can move higher again.

https://twitter.com/GerberKawasaki/status/1301178671437238273

Today's chart
u-g-P7TJS80.jpg

Get off my mountain!

Trust me. Been holding for over 8 years, so I speak from experience. Your money will be fine and it will grow as if coming from a tree, if you just stay seated with arms and legs kept inside the ride as you were instructed.

I do hope you post when you finally sell. If I haven't sold at that point, that will likely be the bright blinking sign for me.

Reactions: mickificki
https://phys.org/news/2020-09-small-self-organizing-autonomous-vehicles-significantly.html

Summary: we don't need 100% autonomy to fix traffic. Just 5% clustered AVs can dramatically improve flow provided they act as flow leaders.

I chuckled at the thought of trying to hold back a coal roller but I am very hopeful about the 5% part.

How can people be against any type innovation that attempts to improve life especially traffic. We need FSD to succeed! Better if this is all done in a few months before I have to start getting back on the freeway please.
Got me thinking... Once Tesla autonomous vehicles reach a certain proportion in a city, they'll have unprecedented data and computing capabilities that, if given access to traffic light controls, could certainly use Tesla's superior live data and algorithms to greatly improve a whole city's traffic flows.

Last edited:
The price action today is fascinating. This is my interpretation of what has happened so far.

Firstly, if you look at the shape of the TSLA and NASDAQ charts, they are very similar, but show clear evidence of what @Papafox calls "Dip on Steroids". That is, when the price is dropping, someone piles on to make the dip go down as fast and as far as possible, which is stupid behavior if you want to get the most out of selling lots of shares. But it isn't stupid if you're shorting the stock. It looks to me like they tried to halt this behavior before triggering the uptick rule.

Then something happened that was either really stupid, just coincidence, or really smart, depending on who did it. A minute of heavy selling triggered the uptick rule, and the stock immediately started climbing again. Coincidence is possible, it corresponds exactly to the same drop in the NASDAQ. If it was a short, it was stupid to trigger the uptick rule. If you are really sure that the S&P500 announcement is coming tonight, and you're long, it would make a lot of sense to dump some shares, trigger the rule, buy back, and watch the fireworks overnight.

TL;DR -- I have no idea. But the trading chart looks very different after 13:43EDT than before it.

I want an ‘interesting’ button!!!

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-small-self-organizing-autonomous-vehicles-significantly.html

Summary: we don't need 100% autonomy to fix traffic. Just 5% clustered AVs can dramatically improve flow provided they act as flow leaders.

I chuckled at the thought of trying to hold back a coal roller but I am very hopeful about the 5% part.

How can people be against any type innovation that attempts to improve life especially traffic. We need FSD to succeed! Better if this is all done in a few months before I have to start getting back on the freeway please.
That video was, I am sure, valueable to some; to those of us who are color-blind and unable to distinguish the red cars from the green cars, it was useless.

Story time. This morning I helped my school with student electronics pickup. One of the other Dads had been asking me about Tesla so we were chatting. I also have a rattle in my dash that I had scheduled a mobile appointment to have fixed next week. I guess they had time so they wanted to change it to today. So, I had the tech come to the school parking lot. Everyone thought mobile service was amazing. The conversation then turned to Tesla/TSLA, and other stocks. One guy mentioned the FUD about Tesla not being profitable without credits, but as I explained he said he actually saw it as a positive. Having your competition pay you because they couldn't make their own clean cars.

After the tech wrapped up (didn't have the part unfortunately) I used smart summon to have the car come get me. It did a a perfect job at navigating the parking lot and moving around cars in a very smooth manner. Then I gave the other Dad a drive.

Elon, you are welcome for the free advertising. ;)

By using Tesla for years as clickbait they have inadvertently pushed the company into the public's consciousness.