Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I speak from China, our president cannot afford a recession (maybe more than Trump). Ever since the two met at G20, it looks a secured deal to me.

Could you please expand on that?

I remember an old movie taking place in the Soviet Union. They made an experiment- in isolated village, they provided all the goodies the modern capitalist countries had (microwaves, etc). After people got used to this better life, the authorities confiscated everything and the people were back to their "old" life. The result- revolt. The authorities had to kill them and understood that there is no way back (totalitarian regime), once people are exposed to "normal" life.

Just a note on the Munro video - recommend to watch it on YouTube so you get the chat replay too; Dan Neil is making come comments there, for instance:

photo.jpg
22:25Dan Neil it amazes me, people act like Tesla has been twiddling its thumbs since 2012.

Honestly, I'm not complaining too much (although I do want them to open up, so I did tweet to Tesla). So long as I get mine by early summer so I can do summer road trips with it, I'll be fine. :) As much as I'd love to have it sooner, getting it later opens up the possibility of new features (tow hitch, air suspension?), price reductions, and general improvements. Also lets me keep more money in the stock for longer.

This tweet is a lie, or at least an overgeneralization. You still can't configure from Iceland - reservation or not.

Steady on Karen, that's a bit harsh... unintentionally incorrect, the word "most" before "European" was needed.

Does Tesla currently sell MS/X in Iceland, doesn't seem to be on tesla.com and they weren't present there as of mid 2018 AFAIK?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Steady on Karen, that's a bit harsh... unintentionally incorrect, the word "most" before "European" was needed.

Does Tesla currently sell MS/X in Iceland, doesn't seem to be on tesla.com and they weren't present there as of mid 2018 AFAIK?

There are S and X here, but they were all imported. There used to be a company that specialized in such imports.

That said, they did take 3 reservations from here directly. Hence mine.

I think they're starting with countries that they already have good delivery infrastructure in. For example, there's no stores or service centres in Slovenia either. But they need to be clear: you don't want to tell everyone that you're opening up to "European RHD countries", when you're not actually doing that.

It's unclear if Tesla would invest in doing so with the current 18650 cells, since Supercharging speed limits is definately NOT limiting sales of the S/X.
However, increasing Supercharger speed on S/X would reduce the amount of time they spend at a SC stall, improving SC throughput, which has multiple knock-on effects.

But us lowly 3 owners have lower expectations - compared to folks who spent 100k+.
There was always the old narrative (possibly a short narrative) that it was going to be the other way around - someone who spent 100k+ to early adopt is more willing to deal with problems and just use their other ICE luxury car while the Tesla's in the shop, whereas lower-priced cars may go to people who only have one car.

However, as long as Tesla can make sure people have loaners, it's a non-issue IMO (other than on the warranty cost side of things, but that's demonstrably low).

Getting really pissed with this “stock”. The last time I felt this angry was in October. Guess it’s time to load up more... definitely need to learn to take profits
Don't hate the game, hate the players?

There are S and X here, but they were all imported. There used to be a company that specialized in such imports.

That said, they did take 3 reservations from here directly. Hence mine.

I think they're starting with countries that they already have good delivery infrastructure in. For example, there's no stores or service centres in Slovenia either. But they need to be clear: you don't want to tell everyone that you're opening up to "European RHD countries", when you're not actually doing that.

Sure, they should take more care with such announcements.

I would think they'd need at least one Service Centre in a country in order to start officially delivering cars.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but the thought occurred to me that one reason the Wall Street ‘analysts’ screwed over TSLA with their over-optimistic fabricated Q4 production and delivery numbers is because Tesla was too vague in their guidance.

Tesla probably learned their lesson. Instead of saying “more than Q3” they probably should have said something more firm, like 60,000. That was probably a challenge for Q4 as it seemed they weren’t sure on timing regarding when production would improve.

Hopefully they’ve got more visibility on that and will give a more specific, achievable, and slightly sandbagged target for Q1.

As for Munro’s comments about the body being overdesigned, I’m just not 100% sure. He talked about the piece of steel above the battery pack (floor of the car) being overkill. But I suspect that the main reason for that is to act as a better fire barrier than as a structural member to help protect the pack (though I agree that would be a secondary benefit).

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but the thought occurred to me that one reason the Wall Street ‘analysts’ screwed over TSLA with their over-optimistic fabricated Q4 production and delivery numbers is because Tesla was too vague in their guidance. Tesla probably learned their lesson. Instead of saying “more than Q3” they probably should have said something more firm, like 60,000.

Good point. Tesla had been repeatedly hammered for being too specific in its guidance, and thus giving out opportunities to miss their guidance when they didn't need to. But here's the other side of that coin: if you don't give out guidance, someone else will make it up for you :Þ