Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the Tequila industry sued. Hopefully it still comes to fruition.

Mexican Opposition To 'Teslaquila' Creates Headache for Elon Musk

South African wines and spirits had a rough ride with the European producers suing (or threatening to) for using 'traditional' names like Champagne; Beaujolais; Port etc a few years ago.

This resulted in some clever puns and silly names like "Goats do Roam" (Cotes de Rhone) etc.

Humour goes a long way to alleviate irritation...…….

“The electric vehicle (EV) tax credit, which offers car buyers up to $7,500 off the price of a qualifying car, applies to manufacturers that sell fewer than 200,000 vehicles in a year.”

Clearly, a well-researched article. Citing 2017 numbers when 2018 ones are now available is also a nice touch.
Not to mention, it is a tax break, not "off the price." If only it had been the latter I might've sprung for an M3P

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and wipster
>
> Glitch in Elon-time-space matrix

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.02.39 PM.png

This op-ed is laughably misleading. Disgusting

On the topic of disgustingly misleading information:

For a least a few days now, if I google TSLA I get the stock price and a plot of the intraday movements, followed by 3 links to 'News', all of which are consistently from 'Seeking Alpha' - and not even particularly new.

How is this possible?
TSLA - 02082019 - 09:15:42 PM-UTC+1.png

On the topic of disgustingly misleading information:

For a least a few days now, if I google TSLA I get the stock price and a plot of the intraday movements, followed by 3 links to 'News', all of which are consistently from 'Seeking Alpha'.

How is this possible?
View attachment 375617
Google's page rank is about relevance and from an algorithmic perspective they are relevant. My understanding is that they have quite a patch of hacks on top of the underlying algorithm to accommodate various interests, but I'm not particularly surprised. The trivial page rank was simply a measure of back links and although it is more sophisticated now the incessant linking to seeking alpha by mass media probably is the main driver for high ranking.

Charging is about to become annoying for non-Teslas, without the inverse happening; Model 3s will have their selection of Superchargers or whatever CCS chargers they haven't yet clogged up.
Sure 3s have a few more options, but if the CCS stations are full and there is a flood of 3s, won't the superchargers also quickly saturate due to Tesla overflow?

First off, a reminder of why tapers occur. Internal resistance rises as cells near fully charged. This increases cell heating.

Equivalent series resistance (ESR) only increases with increasing SOC in the region above 90% SOC. Increase in temperature reduces ESR far more than the impact of SOC. For a warm battery, the ESR at 100% may be equal to ESR at 50% SOC. From https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/10/9/1284/pdf
SmartSelect_20190208-150454_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The reason for taper is that if you exceed a certain voltage on the cell, you permanently damage it. Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V on a Li-ion designed for 4.20V/cell will plate metallic lithium on the anode. The cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The cell pressure rises and if the charge is allowed to continue, the current interrupt device (CID) responsible for cell safety disconnects at 1,000–1,380kPa (145–200psi). Should the pressure rise further, the safety membrane on some Li-ion bursts open at about 3,450kPa (500psi) and the cell might eventually vent with flame.

The pack/charger combination can have three regions, constant current (where cell voltage is below max), constant power (where the charger is limited), and contact voltage (where cell voltage is at the max). Once the cells hit max voltage, the charge current (and power) drop to maintain that level. For a multicell in series pack like Tesla, the first cell group to hit the voltage limit triggers the current (power reduction).

Tesla's charge profile can also be software adjusted from those limits for longevity.

Not to mention, it is a tax break, not "off the price." If only it had been the latter I might've sprung for an M3P
I agree completely... would be far more effective if it were a cash rebate or a direct price reduction. There are a number of potential buyers who could not take full, if any, advantage of a tax credit.

While there is little chance of the credit being revised now, perhaps it may be after the 2020 elections.

The ad is sponsered by Skynet Labs. Who are they you ask?

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
"Skynet Labs Limited provides cloud and mobile solutions for the oil and gas drilling industry. The company offers drilling unit calculator on Android for solving calculation problems for oil and gas drilling companies, as well as oilfield operators, engineers, planners, and technicians. It also develops information capture systems for the oil rig live drilling environment."

Feeling threatened much?

The ad is sponsered by Skynet Labs. Who are they you ask?

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
"Skynet Labs Limited provides cloud and mobile solutions for the oil and gas drilling industry. The company offers drilling unit calculator on Android for solving calculation problems for oil and gas drilling companies, as well as oilfield operators, engineers, planners, and technicians. It also develops information capture systems for the oil rig live drilling environment."

Feeling threatened much?

That's Informative! I can't vote on replies so I just typed it ;)
Btw, Why am I not able to vote on replies here?

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed