Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone smarter than me help me understand something. Assuming Elon knew Larry was going to invest $1B into Tesla, could he have done a bought deal with Tesla issuing Larry new shares in exchange for the money rather than buying shares on the open market? Assuming Tesla did infact need money this could have boosted the balance sheet quite a bit.

Reactions: Dig deeper
can someone smarter than me help me understand something. Assuming Elon knew Larry was going to invest $1B into Tesla, could he have done a bought deal with Tesla issuing Larry new shares in exchange for the money rather than buying shares on the open market? Assuming Tesla did infact need money this could have boosted the balance sheet quite a bit.

By all reports the balance sheet does not need boosting. Cashflow is exceeding all requirements for growth at max pace. So no need to dilute.

Yeah. That’s what the Saudis wanted to do actually. Elon told them to go buy on the open market.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Sudre and UncaNed

they could, but it would piss off their other large institutional shareholders as they would usually want to invest in a pro-rata manner

For one day? :) A storm in Atlantic ocean could have more impact.
Please be more innovative.

Actually, Elon decided to skip the finishing work being done at the harbor from now on to get the cars to the delivery centers more quickly. The strike contributed to the decision but there was now delay. (google translated the linked article from Belgium)

Until the latest release, to which vast numbers of older machines cannot upgrade to, for no good reason other than trying to force more sales of newer machines. We have a large number of Macs as workstations at my office (myself I am on a PC, and the developers are all running Ubuntu on their macs, though). Almost none of them can be upgraded. Which also means MANY apps cannot be updated, because they depend on the newer OS - this includes third party apps. Windows is doing a much better job of supporting older hardware at the moment.
You obviously don’t work with Mac much. The latest OS can run on systems that are six years old in most cases. For example I have a 2012 MacBook Pro which is running the latest release without any hacking. Also amazingly, the system works quite smoothly for a machine that old. It’s resale value is absurd compared to a six year old windows laptop.

The only case where your right is the lack of upgradability of 2016 and newer machines. The non-replaceable hard drive/SSD is unfortunately the reason that I’m moving away from Apple on my next purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Thank you Mr. President!

2tprrb.jpg

The strike is expected to cost tens of millions of euros to the Belgian economy, and they indicated that they would be prepared to organize more strikes before the coming elections if negotiations did not bring the expected results.

Yeah, they always say that.
A real strike (multiple days) could do some damage, but I doubt the unions want to spend money on that (strikers only get paid by the unions for strikes longer than one day).

they could, but it would piss off their other large institutional shareholders as they would usually want to invest in a pro-rata manner

So then
im pretty sure every single institutional investor would take hypergrowth at a cost 2% dilution

So then

im pretty sure every single institutional investor would take hypergrowth at a cost 2% dilution

This has been discussed. There are limits to growth rate other than money. No amount of money can clone people and the skills and knowledge they acquired since joining Tesla.

Bad service. Delivery issues. Stalled lines. All problems we’ve witnessed recently arising from growth. Grow fast, not stupid fast.

Musk has said more than once that cashflow already supports the desired growth rate.

Remember that growth is proportional, it will happen faster than you expect.