Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main Brexit question right now seems to be: which party is going to fall apart faster: the Tories or Labour?

Labour Party split: Seven MPs form 'Independent Group' and warn Jeremy Corbyn 'must not become Prime Minister'

The new anti-Brexit "Independent Group" is also trying to recruit rebellious Tories to their ranks.
I'll have to think about that one ---- Oh yes the answer is It doesn't matter, neither actually RUN the country. P.s. And contrary to belief in some areas the answer is not Rupert Murdock ;)

#China #Lux_Vehicle_Demand #2018
New-vehicle sales in China last year fell for the first time in the past 28 years.
But the luxury market continued to grow, with sales rising 8 percent to top 2.8 million.
Source [February 16, 2019]: How high-flying JLR lost its way in China

Someone earlier asked about puts on the legacy automakers. Here is a quote from the above article:

The reduction in book value of JLR's vehicles and plants came on top of a $354 million quarterly loss reported this month. The company is also cutting 4,500 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force, in response to declining sales.

#China #Lux_Vehicle_Demand #2018
New-vehicle sales in China last year fell for the first time in the past 28 years.
But the luxury market continued to grow, with sales rising 8 percent to top 2.8 million.
Source [February 16, 2019]: How high-flying JLR lost its way in China
Tesla has the benefit of extremely low market share in China. A compelling car at a reduced price will grow market share in worlds largest car market. Getting up to 2% market share in China would be enormous for tesla

Moderator Warning:
Do NOT use this thread to spread extraordinary claims.

If you care to post any extraordinary material, present references and demonstrate your reasoning as to why they are credible.

This goes for effectively everything: pollution claims, results of political shenanigans, rises and falls on the fortunes of old OR new auto companies.

Clarification requested, does it include shorts here too?

You seem to be far more optimistic about Rivian than many of us that have watched what Tesla has gone through the past decade or so. Why is that?

They will not replicate TSLA.
TSLA plays the role of Icebreaker (Tesla- the ICEbreaker). The companies, coming after, will not compete in the same way. Most probably they will be "boutique" companies, or will be bought by someone else.

OT except to the most generic thinking.

Courtesy of Google News which is doubtless generated using some level of AI:

AI is reinventing the way we invent

The article basically reports on the increasing difficulty and cost of innovation and how AI may help by analyzing data and generating new combinations not seen before which are worth investigating further. The goal is to better master the information available to cut the time and cost of innovation.

The review in the article of some research on new drugs has been done before. This piece's most interesting summary is with a Canadian materials lab. The idea is to extrapolate all possible combinations of atoms for a molecule, study how they might be constructed, what might be their expected properties, look for ways to construct them, examine the cost to produce them, and then try to make prototypes in the "real" world.

One takeaway that illustrates what Tesla might do to increase production is focus on the alien dreadnaught idea. Suppose you model production of a car, how each part might be made, all ways they might be put together, what might be its characteristics (performance, comfort, safety, etc.), how should you automate, when do you use people skills, then optimize each component and their relationships, then do alternative cost extrapolations, et cetera, et cetera. Of course I've conflated design and production with other considerations but that is the idea and it is a way to understand at least the complexity of the task of innovation and how it may be speeded up.

Then you could fire a whole bunch of engineers. Just kidding.:rolleyes: Or not.:eek:

Did we discuss this here before, or is Jack Richard the first one bringing this up (with a proof)?
If by "here" you mean in this thread, I'm unsure... but it's been discussed a number of times on this forum, notably in the several incarnations of the "When will the S/X get 2170's?" threads.

A number of us have maintained that it's the chemistry (and anode/cathode design) that dictates energy density, not the physical can... and that there's no reason the same chemistry and design can't be supplied in 18650 cells.

Nonetheless, there were a bunch of folks convinced that the 2170's had secret sauce despite early Model 3 pack estimates and specs suggesting otherwise. They were adamant the 18650 was inferior in density and that would mean the S/X would get 2170's soon, along with a significant change in pack capability.

While I agree that Jack's numbers could be a little off for the reasons other folks have mentioned, it's pretty clear the 2170's aren't significantly different form an energy density standpoint.

Last edited:
You should go work for Atlis and raise $1.4B, I am sure they will give you a good commission.

We know Jeff Bezos didn't do his due diligence. He gives out half a billion dollars like candy. Being a total fool with money is how you get to a net worth of $133B.

I’m sure he meant “easy” as “comparatively speaking”. Why do you think so many investors invest in MANY different companies. They assume most will fail and only need one or two hits.

Reactions: humbaba
Man, I'm still so thrilled with the EU getting Spotify rather than Slacker. I've been sitting here trying to stump it with obscure Icelandic band after obscure Icelandic band, and only succeeded once (Wesen, the short-lived side project between Júlía from Oyama and Loji from the defunct Sudden Weather Change). I mean, they even have asdfhg. - a band literally named by mashing keys on a keyboard.

I wonder if the US will be lucky enough to get Spotify at some point? Or maybe there was some sort of licensing problem?
I'm hoping as well, but I think it is just hope. I'm not sure why they chose Slacker, but my guess is cost -- Spotify is number one and they know it. They have no reason to cut Tesla any deal and Slacker is "good enough".

Now, I've been surprised at Slacker's coverage. I'm not as well versed as you on obscure groups, but they had someone I stumbled on, Bjorg Thorhallsdottir (pardon the missing accents, not on a mac :p). My main issue with Slacker is also a problem with Spotify: missing minor groups and licensing issues.

For example, neither have Jupiter Hollow (no, not that Jupiter Hollow, it was a midwestern band with AFAIK only one album published), nor Big Hat (no, not that Big Hat, this one toured in the midwest, I have all three albums and was lucky enough to see them live), nor Rondellus (no, close names don't count -- one album, Sabbatum, which is Black Sabbath translated into latin and played on medieval instruments). They only seem to have more recent songs from Muslim Gauze But outside of fringe examples, both have quite good coverage of even obscure bands.

The regional licensing bit is the other frustration as I rather like AKB48. There's one album that is licensed for the west and is all you can get on Apple or Spotify (well, there's the Candy Rush song from a movie -- at least the album has been added). That's quite a bit of material that simply isn't available: I'm up to something like 35 albums+singles which gives fair but incomplete coverage of their song catalog. In my Tesla I can search for and find AKB48, but it won't actually play anything. Plenty of K-Pop, though.

But for someone with less fringe tastes within their authorized region both give excellent coverage and acceptable quality.

Well, I'm Spanish, I live in UK, and the most feasible reason for the disappointing Model 3 sales, IMO, is the current price point. The % of people considering price more important than value/price is higher than in other European countries.

Yes, I think there are two main factors in determining a country's demand for new luxury cars such as the Model 3: median free disposable income and historic levels of unemployment.

Here's the ranking of European countries by median free disposable income:

Code:
Portugal:     €17,733
Spain:        €19,336

Netherlands:  €24,696
France:       €25,022
Austria:      €26,730
Germany:      €28,473
Norway:       €28,653
Switzerland:  €29,540

Euro-19 avg:  €23,609

€19.3k vs. Netherlands's €24.7k is a significant gap of almost 30%, which would reduce tail-end demand for €50k+ cars by more than 50% I believe.

Another negative factor for demand in Spain is that Spain is fresh out of a big economic crisis, a very deep and long -10% depression in the 2008-2014 time frame, primarily caused by the free capital flows and unbalanced "gold standard" property of the Eurozone that they are part of, which forced deflation on the country for ~7 years:

They exited that 6-year crisis only about 3-4 years ago, and it takes time for consumers to get back to 'frivolous' spending like €50k+ luxury cars after such a long crisis.

The "core" part of Eurozone saw mostly uninterrupted growth and economic optimism where 2008 was only an about 2-year blip:

Although last year's almost-recession in Germany, which could get worse this year, might play a role later this year. Right now it's not yet visible in unemployment statistics:

Which is the main transmission channel of economic uncertainty to consumers, and the main trigger of the feedback loop of reduced consumer spending and economic contraction.

Note how unemployment in Spain is around 14%, which is well off the peak of 26% (!) but still almost twice of that of the pre-2008 levels of ~8%:

All of this makes car buyers in Spain understandably cautious, an I wouldn't expect miracles in Model 3 sales - at least initially: until the fuel savings and Total Cost of Ownership advantages of a Model 3 are well established and the anti-Tesla FUD the strength of the Berlin Wall is broken through.

Last edited:
OT for president's day...

I love how the headline says “Bill Gates says no one knows how to stop bovine flatulence”. Bill is a major investor in Impossible Foods which makes a vegan burger that tastes 99.99% exactly like cow meat. So Bill already a knows the solution....

Right... Because people don't fart after eating vegetable starch...
To follow the ICE argument type: you're just shifting the tailpipe ;)