Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you completely turn an established industry on it's head you make a lot of well well funded enemies. Media outlets are all controlled by the 1%. They still have to appear valid to stay in business, unlike Consumer Reports that has pretty much ruined it's reputation trying to sully Tesla at the behest of the other automakers and oil companies.

5A3E26FE-D025-44D4-BCA6-5C59E218B5B5.png

Cheers to the crazy ones. This story and AAPL’s stock performance should help put things into perspective. The competition cannot compete with cars so they use media and other shenanigans to distort Tesla. Same thing happened with apple. Hang in there.

Consumer Reports says it can't recommend the iPhone 4

Last edited:
Are you sure you are not reading too much into it?
There are other explanations too you know...

tumblr_mb0xqqpAck1rsykmco1_400.gif

:p

I drive a Volt half the time and Model 3 Performance the other half on the busiest road in Orange County that has a speed limit of 60.

I assure you that same lambo was less yielding to the Volt.

The contrast on how other “performance cars” behave depending on which car I am is amazing. It’s like Clark Kent / Superman.

Last edited:
Indeed. Shortsville is still packed with people talking about Tesla's imminent need for a capital raise due to the convertibles.

I've also run into quite a few people over the past months in various contexts who have said that they want to wait out the convertible payoff before jumping into the stock.

What I am continuously frustrated at is how many car reviewers just take the car for a spin and talk about performance, handling, comfort.... but completely ignore comparative ranges and charge speeds. It's like, okay, if you only want a city car, fine, but most people actually want to be able to go a significant distance in real-world conditions, recharge quickly, and keep going. This latter aspect almost never gets reviewed. I don't know if reviewers just assume that it's the same for all EVs, or that EV drivers never go on road trips, or what.... but it's a huge problem.

It's not enough to just take the car for a spin around the block. Reviewers need to get this through their heads. Go on a half-day road trip in the car before you write up your review.

I think Tesla should sponsor a coast to coast road rally with a treasure hunt. You get clues as you hit each charging station. Prizes could be cash or bling and maybe winner gets a Roadster. It would highlight the charging system and could be a lot of fun. coordinate the whole thing over twitter.

Most cars don't leave you on the side of road in the first year.

Jaguar is one of the exceptionally bad. Jaguar sells less than 200k cars per year in market of 90M to 100M/year depending on how you count it. No one forced you to buy one of the the least reliable ICEv. Why did you? Priorities I guess. You could have easily purchased a Lexus instead.

Despite all the carnage on the roads the population still manages to increase.

Again, the chances of any one person being in an accident where they die in a Lexus and live in Tesla is rather small. Not everyone makes safety ratings their number one priority. If so look to IIHS, NHSTA etc ratings.

CR has a safety component but the purpose of CR Auto Survey is to gauge short term reliability and long term durability.

BTW IF you can't grasp why every organization doesn't rate Tesla the best thing ever and why anyone would consider buying a car other than Tesla and call anyone who does corrupt,stupid,crazy etc you are never going to grasp the stock price movement of TSLA.

Why your car needs to have oil change at all? My horse never asks for it. Based on our five thousand year rules on transportation maintenance, cars are not recommended.

Also, only cars constantly, super reliably pollute are recommended in CR I guess.

Talk about karma biting you in the ass. I’ve been vigorously defending Tesla against CONsumer Reports sham recommendation system. That the Model 3 is a new species and doesn’t deserve the same unreliability standard as prehistoric cars.

I now have a major maintenance issue that I am trying to solve.

I think I’m going to have to take some parts off the car and intubate.

CR can add me to the list of owners who ran into an issue. :(

7FD3F503-C2D6-4FE9-97B4-160460EB393D.jpeg

856EDD18-238A-4542-8340-F4107F4466D0.jpeg

Talk about karma biting you in the ass. I’ve been vigorously defending Tesla against CONsumer Reports sham recommendation system. That the Model 3 is a new species and doesn’t deserve the same unreliability standard as prehistoric cars.
You are not alone.

I had the exact same issue - it started when we had lot of snow here in Seattle. Had to spend time figuring out how to work my air pressure thingy.

Reactions: MXWing
First of all, that group of people has one foot in the grave. Their relevancy going forward is waning fast. The times, they are a changin’. If CR wants to remain relevant (and in business) they need to change as well, which means attracting a new demographic of consumers.

Secondly, though many people resist change, when push comes to shove they change...or die.

For the record, age wise I fall in that category but have never used CR as a product information source nor do I know anyone (family, friends) that has or does.

Finally, nobody in their right mind gets ‘incensed’ when their car gets repaired while they are at work (Ranger service), or they get a flat and the tow truck and loaner is on the way before their vehicle comes to a complete stop (future planned Tesla service), or they can book service appointments from the convenience of their lazy-boy on a Sunday afternoon during a football came via their APP etc., etc...

People need to get their heads out of their poopers and realize what’s truly important in life. Quit being so selfish and self-centered, thinking the world revolves around them. Understand that poo happens and it’s not the end of the world.

The whole idea of people going with 5 page check lists and being hyper anal retentive about panel gaps and such when picking up their Teslas is absurdly ridiculous. And yet here we are, holding Tesla to a standard no other OEM has ever been held to in the past or likely the future. Don’t even, I’ve seen plenty of high price cars and lower price cars with worse panel gapping than Teslas. It happens, a lot. If people were half as vigilant about their current cars when they bought them as they are with Teslas, they’d realize it.

Fyi, the price of my 3 is by far (10’s of thousands) the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and in no way did I go to pick it up with some sort of, ‘I’m paying this much money, it better be perfect’ attitude. I went eyes wide open; new, high tech product, rolling the dice a bit (maybe a lot) here, but this is the right thing to do. I expected and planned for hiccups because the situation called for that possibility. Like, duh!

Anyway, we’re pretty much in agreement on the major points.
So I took my Tesla in for service today -- which was scheduled through the Tesla app :) As the service center is 100 miles away we left early and, as there were no difficulties, arrived early. On arrival, the staff apologized that they weren't ready for us yet. Um, no, that's okay, I said, I'm early. The car was taken back for service before the scheduled appointment time. They made very sure that we were heard and that they understood the issues.

What thorny issues required me to take my car in for service about two months after I got it? The seals/gaskets on the insides of the passenger side doors had started bulging. You could argue until the cows come home if it is reasonable to have such a problem on a new car, but the bottom line is that was not only an essentially cosmetic issue but far and away the best automotive service I have ever had. I also hit them up with a variety of questions about different issues (non-critical to me, others might see differently -- things like infrequent headlights flickering, black screen, connectivity issues, backup camera) that boiled down to the same thing: known problems that will be addressed in a future firmware update. They were (apologetically) careful to say it was unknown when this would actually happen. On the service invoice it says "...should be addressed with new 19. Firmware."

I did have a suggestion that I hope finds its way to the right folks. Most issues revolve around the car's behavior and there are extensive logs. As anyone who has dealt with logs knows, the only thing worse than no logs is too many logs :D The point being, they need to have a specific time for an event in order to make effective use of those logs. To facilitate recording the time, I suggested a feature to generate a flagged timestamp, possibly as an option in the service menu.

I know Musk tweeted in defense of Consumer Reports and that their service of providing an independent review and comparison is important. But I think they are missing that Tesla is not like any other car company and that a Tesla vehicle is not like any other car. The issues that face Tesla owners are often not the issues that face owners of other cars. While something off in the firmware of an M3 can cause all sorts of problems (apparently all of those mentioned above), it also permits fixing all of those things without having to take the car to a service center. I'm not sure I'm onboard with virtualizing everything, but if Tesla keeps the actual hardware simple then they reduce the likelihood of hardware faults -- and those are the most difficult to fix at scale.

Do I have regrets about buying my M3 MR? Sure, I regret I wasn't able to buy an M3P instead :p

And, despite how much I despise CNBC reporting, I am enjoying the opportunity to buy stock at a rate lower than I had anticipated it would be. :rolleyes:

Some very interesting commentary on the 8.6K $295 2/22 puts that were opened here. Note that this predates the CR story, but follows the GC departure story. Four minute video. So were these positions opened on Wednesday at open? If so, this reeks of insider trading.

Tom White on Twitter
Everyone please report to SEC. What are the chances someone would buy million $ puts without some kind of information that is not public ?

The editor of the McClellan Market Report is my friend Tom McClellan. Tom’s 84-year-old father Sherman and his late wife Marian were the inventors of the McClellan Oscillator technical analysis tool in 1969. Sherm, who is still well, was a regular guest of mine on my TV show until he passed the baton to Tom many years ago.

This morning on CNBC, Tom presented his bullish macro-market case. I complimented him on his analysis, and he suggested that I let others know about it. So here’s a link: McClellan Financial Publications

Everyone please report to SEC. What are the chances someone would buy million $ puts without some kind of information that is not public ?
Or, we follow Tom White and make big bucks and take TSLA private ourselves... the last time I followed an unusual options activity play I made 20,000% profit in a few days... blew it on $420 Mar15 calls. Never again lol

• Disagree
Reactions: InDaClub
View attachment 379743

Cheers to the crazy ones. This story and AAPL’s stock performance should help put things into perspective. The competition cannot compete with cars so they use media and other shenanigans to distort Tesla. Same thing happened with apple. Hang in there.

Consumer Reports says it can't recommend the iPhone 4
The 4 was the first iPhone I got, somewhere between the 4 and 4s is when everyone was hopping on the iPhone. Same will happen for tesla

Or, we follow Tom White and make big bucks and take TSLA private ourselves... the last time I followed an unusual options activity play I made 20,000% profit in a few days... blew it on $420 Mar15 calls. Never again lol
Well, apart from being ... unethical, could be a one off tip. Should be reported.

Infact, I think if SEC opens a few investigations against shorts, their shenanigans will become less.

Well, whoever wrote those puts that were purchased Wednesday basically got paid $1.90/share to do a market buy order(assuming the buyer even bothered executing). (Possible) crime doesn’t pay.
If those Puts were sold at close yesterday, they earned $1.6M (not bad for a daze work).

That's calculated as 'breakeven price' - 'Thu Close price' * No. Contracts * 100 shares/Contract:

(293.1-291.23)*8600*100 - Google Search

Sometimes, crime does pay, especially when of the undetected variety.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden