Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reliability and Durability is CR's Auto Survey raison d'être.

~25% of Americans consider CR when purchasing a car. If reliability and durability is not high on your list of priorities then don't pay attention to what CR is saying.

Not everyone picks the most reliable car. FCAU would exist if people did. Not everyone picks the cleanest car. VW Group wouldn't exist if people did. We know electric is the cleanest and we don't need surveys to tell us this Not everyone picks the safest car. CR is not IIHS or NHTSA . The chances of you getting into a near death collision where marginal safety matters is quite small and doesn't move some buyers.

CR Auto Survey is what it is: it tells us about how often we need take the car in for the shop.

Customer satisfaction encompasses every subcategory therefore it doesn't double count to have other categories.

What is your source for "~25% of Americans consider CR when purchasing a car." ?

I know literally zero people that have read CR when they were considering buying a car.

Honestly I’m over the CR thing, the only good thing that will happen is that Tesla will improve manufacturing. The only reason the stock price was impacted was because of a short attack. Too many bread crumbs lying around for it to be anything else.
Just think about the starting point for Model Y considering the number of parts that are shared with Model 3. I have fairly high expectations that they will do better with Model Y launch now that they are a relatively experienced volume car manufacturer.

There may be some minimal short term pain as Tesla has to push a counter narrative to CR showing how much improvement they have made to M3 production, but longs definitely have a lot to be optimistic about.

Reactions: homer214
Ark adds some TSLA
C8AE82CC-FB98-4051-8BE4-71092D952C9E.png

Just think about the starting point for Model Y considering the number of parts that are shared with Model 3. I have fairly high expectations that they will do better with Model Y launch now that they are a relatively experienced volume car manufacturer.

There may be some minimal short term pain as Tesla has to push a counter narrative to CR showing how much improvement they have made to M3 production, but longs definitely have a lot to be optimistic about.

Agreed, and since i'm one that generally throws water at the 'this time it's different' line of commentary, I thought I should say so. It really is different:

Roadster --> Model S: No comparison. Totally different vehicle, Tesla's first 'real' vehicle made fully in-house.
Model S --> Model X: Minimal comparison. Tesla originally said they were going to build the X off of the S platform but that... didn't happen. Much at all.
Model X --> Model 3: Minimal comparison. Tesla said they took learnings from the X and used them to streamline the 3, and I'm sure they did. But it was still a new platform, new cell type, new pack architecture, new software, new new new. And also intended for an order of magnitude increase in volume compared to either S or X.
Model 3 --> Model Y: The Y is said to share 75% of its components with the 3. It really is much more similar to the 3 than the X is to the S. It will likely use the 3's cell type, pack design, etc. It is intended for similar volumes as the 3. It will use the 3's software platform. Tesla will be unveiling it at a later stage of development vs the 3 on its development timeline.

This is not to say that I think Tesla will ramp up the Y as quickly as they'd like to. There will be issues. I just don't see them as being quite as numerous or severe as what the 3 went through, where it took 6 months from initial deliveries just to get any sort of volume going and another 6 to truly get things rolling.

I went ahead and tweeted @consumerreports. We'll see if they respond.
Yeah, I dropped them this e-mail on their website: "I am very surprised that CR no longer recommends the Tesla Model 3. I own a Model 3 and have found the fit and finish impeccable, the performance outstanding, and technology amazing. No offense, but withdrawing your recommendation damages CR's credibility far more than it does Tesla especially given the timing of CR's announcement."

I've been a member on-and-off over the years when I'm in the market for appliances and what not, though not a member at the moment.

I'd argue for Dune 2 battle for arrakis as the first rts. But ya, it probably failed the "popular" part.

Whatever reference to tiberium can be replaced by spice. Till this date I still quote "the spice must flow" to my friends when situations dictate that the best course of action is to let the transaction continue even though it is evil or immoral.

Waaaaaaaaaaa CHA!

That’s especially interesting on an up day for TSLA +1.19%. Those were modest purchases of TSLA, perhaps designed not to spike the price ahead of several days of accumulation. I own ARKK +2.39%, but no TSLA was added there today. The big ARKK contributor today was Z +26.37% (Zillow), even though at the close yesterday it was only 2.54% of that ETF.

It will be interesting to see if Cathie Wood allows TSLA to become significantly more than 10% of any of ARK’s ETFs, after the recent flack she has been getting about her portfolio rebalancing policy. She says she will not buy more of a particular stock for an ARK ETF, if it gets above 10% of that ETF’s holdings. But she recently has noted that getting above 10% does not compel her to sell. It is only if another stock that she still favors has dropped significantly in an ETF, that she sells a portion of a big winner for money to buy more of the fallen angel.

Last edited:
I was trying to pull alongside a lambourgini and I didn’t care about what trim it was.

My car which starts at 44K was a threat to an exotic which decided to turn left at last second than have a confrontation.

Think about how crazy the above is. How can one wrap any recommendation around that?

I don’t have the same pull as Comsumer Reports but I would not recommend a lambourgini.

The same money could be spent on S3X instead.