Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question though. If Level 3 FSD becomes ready, what happens to EAP? Is that package now redundant?

Even if Waymo stays ahead (or pulls ahead?) of Tesla with self driving tech, they still have to get that technology into cars somehow. That means retrofits or licensing that tech to auto makers. So even if Waymo has a 2 year lead that would probably still be a wash by the time their product can actually reach consumers.

Not redundant, just more limited. That could mean any of a few things:

1. EAP has hands-on nags while FSD doesn’t(likely)

2. EAP only does lane keeping/lane change on non-freeways(pretty certainly the case) while FSD works everywhere

3. EAP nets go to code freeze, while FSD continues to improve(likely)

consumerreports.org, logged in as a subscriber.
The fine print possibly explains it... they are penalizing Model 3 for past reliability issues with Model S and Model X.

To see how the model that's currently on sale is likely to hold up, look at the New Car Predicted Reliability in the model Overview. For this rating, we averaged a model's Overall Reliability Verdict Score for the newest three years, provided the vehicle did not change significantly in that time and hasn't been redesigned for 2019. We have found that several model years' data are a better predictor than the single most recent model year. We also we include a prediction for a model that has been redesigned or is new, based on its reliability history, the manufacturer's track record, and our expert knowledge of similar models and/or one that share components.

Edit: If this is the reason Model 3 is not recommended, CR should change their methodology, or at the very least explain it clearly in the story "6 Cars Lose CR's Recommendation Over Reliability Issues". The story implies the Model 3 rating is completely based on surveys filled out by Model 3 owners.

Last edited:
This is CR's chart of Tesla Model 3 reliability. It is above average in every category except Body Hardware where it is average. How can it possibly be below average overall? I will be contacting them to ask.

View attachment 379686

So @RobStark you "Disagree"'d twice on my posts outlining criticism of Consumer Report's methodology, such as this one, but you didn't rebut my arguments.

If the CR reliability data for the Model 3 above is accurate then I think un-recommending the Model 3 is just not defensible, under any circumstance - and I'm being extremely polite there.

Attachments

• B5DDC1B2-2F40-4DD5-B11A-3E8EB5DB80A2.png
    B5DDC1B2-2F40-4DD5-B11A-3E8EB5DB80A2.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 111
I agree, the weighting on that is weird. Out of all the things that are important, I place transmissions, brakes, suspension, drive system, engine, etc, WAAAY above "Body Hardware." Seriously, it leads to concerns on what they were thinking?

It is not even a question of weighting, but some next-level alternative math! How they come up with an average value of ~2 from a bunch of components most of which are 5, two of them 4 and only one 3. So not even a single value is below average, so how can they get the total to be below average ???

It's like if they were using horse and buggy criteria to evaluate the first model T's. They might not be expected to know any better...

Um...ignorance is not a valid excuse for a business that is supposed to be ‘the authority’ and that a big enough portion of the population thinks its ‘the authority’ enough to cause a not insignificant decrease in market cap of said product manufacturer.

It’s CR’s job to know a product and the manufacturer of said product well enough to devise an appropriate and accurate testing and analysis system so that consumers are well and properly informed. Otherwise what’s the point of CR? I’d be better off asking a complete, random stranger at a Supercharger if they’d recommend buying said vehicle and why or why not.

None of us gets to use ignorance of the law to get out of a ticket or jail time, why should CR get to use ignorance of Tesla’s business model to get out of criticism for not having implemented a proper testing and accurate data gathering platform AND getting that information to consumers in a timely fashion with appropriate references to the fact the data collected became essentially worthless the following day/week?

Would it have killed them to say; We caution our consumers when purchasing Model 3s built between July-September 2018 as they may contain one or more of the following cosmetic issues.

Not redundant, just more limited. That could mean any of a few things:

1. EAP has hands-on nags while FSD doesn’t(likely)

2. EAP only does lane keeping/lane change on non-freeways(pretty certainly the case) while FSD works everywhere

3. EAP nets go to code freeze, while FSD continues to improve(likely)
I'm kinda wondering too if that means I paid the 7k for EAP for nothing if I wind up buying FSD. Or does FSD require EAP purchase?