Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hubba hubba hubba!

upload_2019-2-27_22-2-58.png

Quick anecdote: I'm getting a new 12v battery in the BGC (OMG! It's the second time in 7 years this car has told me it needs something done! Too much maintenance! ;-) ). Car told me on Monday, booked in to the Oceanside service center, they're doing it while I wait and washing the car too. Nice. But here's the anecdote: The screen in the waiting room is showing the biggest chargers in the world, and number 3 is Westminster, CA, just off the I-405 San Diego Freeway. I didn't even know this one existed, and yet it's extremely convenient for my frequent trips to LA. How did Tesla sneak an entire supercharger that I didn't know about?

Probably because you're a dopey old git?

I asked this before, but I’m curious what would happen if he tweeted just the first two parts without checking with anyone. At that point, it was only potentially Tesla news, but also could have been totally unrelated.

My first instinct was that it would depend on whether the news actually was re:Tesla behind the scenes, but that doesn’t actually make any sense, since it has no impact on potential stock price effects.

Logically the answer should be “no”, because it’s externally not relevant to Tesla. But in practical reality, it certainly will affect the SP.

When I first saw how they were split up, the thought did cross my mind that individually, they mean nothing:

California
Thursday 2:00PM
Some Tesla news

The first two were sent around the same time, with the last one being sent like an hour later. Of course, when I read it, I assumed they all went together.

But saying "Some Tesla news" is a truthful statement since there is always "some Tesla news" in the media.

"California" and "Thursday 2:00PM" could be where he has a podiatrist appointment for all we know.

At say $290 conversion price it would have diluted existing shareholders significantly with ~3.1m shares, well above the ~2.55m maximum number of shares converted under the $360 conversion factor - which dilution would only have been partially offset by the cash income, right?

Time will tell. I did not check your calculation, but the hypothetical you proffered implies addition dilution of 550,000 shares while the 10k showed 172.7 million shares outstanding at 2/12/19, so about 0.32% additional dilution. No cash income offset (other than relatively inconsequential interest income on short term investments, possibly more than counter-acted by additional interest expense on borrowings ). The conversion value reset primarily would have affected the Balance Sheet.

As Elon said they are trying to slow down, not speed up, the "less is more" and KISS principles. Wherever they need high capex they take local loans, like in China, where they are on path to 3k/week at the end of this year and total capacity of 30k cars/week in a couple of years.

Tesla has stated it needs "sufficient capital"

We need sufficient capital to fund our ongoing operations, ramp vehicle production, continue research and development projects, establish sales, delivery and service centers, build and deploy Superchargers, expand Gigafactory 1, ramp production at Gigafactory 2, build and commence Model 3 production at Gigafactory Shanghai and to make the investments in tooling and manufacturing capital required to introduce new vehicles, energy storage products and solar products.
GF-1 is generally accepted as 30% complete, plus

We have also announced that we will likely manufacture Model Y, which we intend to produce at high volumes by the end of 2020, at Gigafactory 1.
Where does that capital come from? Free Cash Flow?

Loans, like in China, might provide much, but definitely not all, of the capital needed to begin production at Gigafactory Shanghai by the end of 2019:

We expect much of the investment in Gigafactory Shanghai to be provided through local debt financing, supported by limited direct capital expenditures by us. Moreover, we are targeting the capital expenditures per unit of production capacity at this factory to be less than that of our Model 3 production at the Tesla Factory.

The time will tell remark relates to whether minor dilution or "alternative financing sources" would be better for funding investment expansion:

Considering the pipeline of new products planned at this point, and consistent with our current strategy of using a partner to manufacture cells, as well as considering all other infrastructure growth and expansion of Gigafactory 1, Gigafactory 2 and Gigafactory Shanghai, we currently estimate that capital expenditures will be between $2.5 to $3.0 billion annually for the next two fiscal years. Moreover, we expect that the cash we generate from our core operations will generally be sufficient to cover our future capital expenditures and to pay down our near-term debt obligations (including the repayment of $920.0 million for our 0.25% Convertible Senior Notes due on March 1, 2019), although we may choose to seek alternative financing sources.
Highly leveraged Balance Sheets work wonders in times of expansion--they juice the Income Statement. Not so much in times of contraction--they have the opposite effect (as does vertical integration). First principles of risk management require competent evaluation of the relative probabilities and severities of both scenarios.

I wonder if REVIVE on his profile picture is referring to on old Mars mission. The location on that map could maybe refer to something of importance. One of the tweets that he liked a while ago -- Elon Dusk one -- was him looking at a deserted place, saying something like 'Oh, hi'(as far as I can remember). He is trying to reach ET with no success -- I don't know the movie reference here, but maybe ET refers to a rover that's long been forgotten. He is saying 'hi' to that. Will Tesla make Mars rovers?

In all likelihood, stock continues up tomorrow, but I booked my gains on the 325 weekly calls. The IV (implied volatility) shot up near the close. Was able to sell 'em for 2.50 (bought a couple yesterday for 15c and this morning for 45c). Not gonna be greedy, 5x gain good enough. But I'm pissed that I didn't wake up right at open. Both the 320 and 325s could have been had for under 20c -- would have bought more at that price. I just didn't think it would move up that quickly and I thought that the gap at 297 would be filled first. This was easy money. Almost certain to go above 320 by Thursday or Friday.

Last edited:
Upon seeing Elon’s Twitter poll on establishing the “Mars technocracy“, I did a Google search and came up with the following article. Elon’s grandfather was reportedly the leader of the “technocracy“ movement in Canada in the 1930s before becoming disillusioned and moving to South Africa.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

CNBC plans to do a bond payment scare story some point after the commercial break.

It blows my mind that there's people out there who take this seriously. Can they not do basic math re: Tesla's cash reserves?
Did I mention how SICK AND TIRED I am of all the DAMN FUD?!!

I never thought I could hate the news media this much. And I'll say something else too. I'm as liberal and progressive as they come and not a Trump fan, but can the media not find one nice thing to say about Meliana or Ivanka Trump? This just shows their bias. Same thing with Tesla and Musk. Whether you're a democrat or republican or a Tesla bull or bear, think for yourself, research and analyze for yourself. Don't let the media and news tell you how to think. F' em!!

The IV (implied volatility) shot up near the close.

That's generally normal: when there's a period of expected volatility of short duration (Elon tweeting overnight, news leaking), then the Implied Volatility of the next ~22.5 hours until options trading opens again will be "backwards imported" into the price of the final few minutes of trading.

I'd expect IV to go down on open if there's no overnight news clarifying the nature of the event - then rise again in trading, leading up to the event when IV shoots up again.

(Presuming nobody large enough is trading this natural pattern, in which case the pattern can weaken or even reverse.)

Did I mention how SICK AND TIRED I am of all the DAMN FUD?!!

I never thought I could hate the news media this much. And I'll say something else too. I'm as liberal and progressive as they come and not a Trump fan, but can the media not find one nice thing to say about Meliana or Ivanka Trump? This just shows their bias. Same thing with Tesla and Musk. Whether you're a democrat or republican or a Tesla bull or bear, think for yourself, research and analyze for yourself. Don't let the media and news tell you how to think. F' em!!
My general opinion of the media is, if they say it's up, it's really down and visa versa. From WMDs in Iraq, to Tesla going BK...

I believe it would primarily depend on Elon's intent, he has to follow both the letter and the spirit of the settlement contract - and I believe he does, despite justified contempt for the SEC.

The 500k tweet is simply a disagreement over whether the tweet was material or not. I don't for a minute believe that Elon wanted to tweet material news that violated the settlement agreement in any way. He doesn't have to, it would be stupid, it would be pointless and it would be harmful to the mission.

And the fact is that if we examine the context and the public record, Elon indeed didn't tweet material non-public information: he simply tweeted information relying on already public information, with no intent whatsoever to tweet material news.

So the SEC's complaint is erroneous, borderline frivolous, but it takes some time for Tesla to prove this to the judge who is the ultimate adjudicator of the SEC's complaint.

I don't think "intent" will be heavily weighted. The point of the oversight is to review Musks' tweet just incase he ACCIDENTALLY tweets out something material again. So I think the SEC's case is flagging Tesla for not having oversight on Musk's tweet, and this 500k tweet is awfully close to being material and not reviewed. This is why they put all that 60min drama in there to build the case that Tesla didn't, and probably on purpose, have a strict safeguard put in per SEC's mandate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fact Checking
A thought re:Model Y/Truck...

People have noted that they usually want press, etc at the event. But I’m wondering if that would still be the case. Model 3 completely overwhelmed them, to the point that it became a negative. And Elon has 25 million followers on Twitter. Seems to me even just a Twitter announcement of one or both would generate more demand than they’d know what to do with.