Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT

Yes, I know that was a fun concept at when it was first revealed, but I'm guessing they will still have a some buyers although I expect it to look different. And because it's built on the Semi platform, it should be relatively quick and easy to make.
What do you mean built on the semi-platform? The semi is a massive GVWR dual rear wheel drive frame. Pickup will be four wheel drive. Other than reuse of the same motor core (derived from the 3), I don't see anything that would carry over well...

Shall we change venue to one of the pickup threads? Just quote or tag me @mongo there.

Ended up writing a long missive to Gali over on his latest Hyperchange video. I think it bears repeating:

------------------------------------------
Sigh... no, no, no.

I agree that Tesla could have communicated this better. But if I may - your understanding on this is completely off.

First off - and this can't be stressed enough - Model 3 is not available in all markets yet . Any talk of "demand" when not everyone can buy it - including me, I should add - is pure and unadulterated nonsense. Tesla is doing a good thing by matching market availability to production rates so as to maintain steady, low wait times. I'll repeat: this is a good thing .

Next, about the SR mix: Americans almost always do this annoying thing where they forget that there's a world outside America. Only Americans and Canadians can buy SR . Tesla controls the percentage of the mix that's made of SR by controlling which markets can buy it. This is something which Tesla has full and complete control over .

Third is the reason. Look at past InsideEV deliveries. Note the seasonal trends. Note how low the first two months of every quarter generally are, but how the last one is high. Do you know why that is? I mean, do you really grok it? You need to. Here's the answer: Tesla focuses on overseas deliveries early in each quarter, then domestic deliveries late in the quarter, in order to minimize inventory in transit. If Tesla wants to do this again this quarter, it needs a surge in domestic sales late this quarter. How do you do this? You introduce the SR.

Fourth: Yes, SR is positive margin. Read the leaked reporter call transcript. Musk repeatedly uses past tense to describe reaching profitability on it. The exact figure isn't stated. ReflexFunds has done some very good calculations that I tend to agree with arguing for somewhere between 1-7% margins. SR appears to be a software-locked SR+ and SR+ appears to be significantly more popular than SR, so that's a margin boost on all of those (before you start adding options, which are big margin boosters... e.g. EAP is pure margin, and seems to be getting a 30-40% take rate on the SRs. from anecdotal reports).

Fifth: Look at the VIN registration rates. Compare how fast they've grown compared to last quarter. VINs don't directly correspond to production, but they relate to it, and the registration rate is rocking it. Production is huge. Think back to the very first days of the Model 3 unveiling. Do we all remember the presentations? "There's global demand for 10k/week when the $35k car is in the mix" right? Perfectly reasonable numbers then, and still reasonable today. So what does this mean? The closer we get to 10k/wk, the larger the portion for the mix needs to be SR . We can't keep putting this off. SR must be built , because we're on the upper end of the S curve. This is something to celebrate .

This is a complicated topic. Doesn't fit nicely in tweets or reporter paraphrases of a brief call. It really could use a presentation (I tried to help by making an infographic - https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1102712466813976576 ). But it is critical that investors understand the topic, or they're going to be wandering around like chickens with their heads cut off for no good reason. This is essential and good for the company, and as per the plan .

A couple more things.

Sixth: I can't help but shake my head whenever I hear anyone describe this as some sort of "sudden decision". Really, a sudden decision? They developed capacity to mass produce a bunch of new model variants, suddenly? To mass produce new interiors, suddenly? The new website, suddenly? Federal approval of new vehicle models, suddenly ? Is that what we think is happening here? It's nonsense; please, people, think through these arguments before you make them . Tesla had to introduce it now, first off in order to get a surge of March domestic deliveries so that they can defocus from Europe and China and reduce inventory in transit, and secondly, it should be noted, because who would trust their Model Y pricing numbers if they hadn't met Model 3 price numbers yet? Should they have delayed Model Y? Of course not.

Seventh: About stores. And here's something I'm going to hate to say, but I'm going to say it: the shorts were right last year . Remember one of their constant criticisms of Tesla? "SG&A is too high." And it was. SG&A is wasted money. Even worse, there were long lead times - E.g. Tesla started building some stores over a year ago that are only getting completed just now. Tons of tied up investment. SG&A really needs to pay itself off. So... does it? We don't have that data - Tesla does. And they clearly think that they simply don't need this store SG&A except in the busiest of areas - that they'll drive a lot more sales by cutting prices 5-6% across the board (because savings help S&X as well as 3!) than they drive off. And honestly, I can't argue with this. Forget about Tesla's 7-day return "test drive" - who wouldn't choose to ask a friend or rent a car on Turo for a day as a test drive of a car they're interested in, if it means that the car is vastly cheaper? Yes, some people will be driven off. No question. But far more people who've been waiting for a low-cost Tesla - or even just a good affordable electric car in general - will now have the chance to jump in, when they didn't before. And if for some reason this situation needs to change in the future - say, half a year to a year down the line? *Tesla can start stores and/or traditional test drives back up*. And while they bear shutdown/startup costs, they've saved 6-12 months of operating costs, which is more than worth it.

Eighth: BREATHE, Gali. :) You do this manic thing where you oscillate from super-thrilled to freaking out. That's not good for an investor. If there's something you don't understand... step back and talk to as diverse of a crowd as you can about it.
----------------------

Dear @KarenRei,

If you are not actually an AI then I think you should set up a Hyperchange interview and explain everything Tesla.

PS. On reflection, I think you should go regardless.

@RobStark,

Per the quote below courtesy of @Artful Dodger, Elon already has suggested Tesla will build a more conventional pickup if only a small number of people like the “futuristic” version.

I agree with you that they should be targeting F150-type volumes (1M/year) and see no reason why they can’t get to those numbers eventually with a compelling design, whether that turns out to be futuristic or more conventional. We’ll see how it all unfolds.

Excuse my ignorance, but is a F150-type vehicle typically used for road trips and similar long distance driving?

(I am trying to imagine what kind of range and battery the Tesla version would have).

Ended up writing a long missive to Gali over on his latest Hyperchange video. I think it bears repeating:

------------------------------------------
Sigh... no, no, no.

I agree that Tesla could have communicated this better. But if I may - your understanding on this is completely off.

First off - and this can't be stressed enough - Model 3 is not available in all markets yet . Any talk of "demand" when not everyone can buy it - including me, I should add - is pure and unadulterated nonsense. Tesla is doing a good thing by matching market availability to production rates so as to maintain steady, low wait times. I'll repeat: this is a good thing .

Next, about the SR mix: Americans almost always do this annoying thing where they forget that there's a world outside America. Only Americans and Canadians can buy SR . Tesla controls the percentage of the mix that's made of SR by controlling which markets can buy it. This is something which Tesla has full and complete control over .

Third is the reason. Look at past InsideEV deliveries. Note the seasonal trends. Note how low the first two months of every quarter generally are, but how the last one is high. Do you know why that is? I mean, do you really grok it? You need to. Here's the answer: Tesla focuses on overseas deliveries early in each quarter, then domestic deliveries late in the quarter, in order to minimize inventory in transit. If Tesla wants to do this again this quarter, it needs a surge in domestic sales late this quarter. How do you do this? You introduce the SR.

Fourth: Yes, SR is positive margin. Read the leaked reporter call transcript. Musk repeatedly uses past tense to describe reaching profitability on it. The exact figure isn't stated. ReflexFunds has done some very good calculations that I tend to agree with arguing for somewhere between 1-7% margins. SR appears to be a software-locked SR+ and SR+ appears to be significantly more popular than SR, so that's a margin boost on all of those (before you start adding options, which are big margin boosters... e.g. EAP is pure margin, and seems to be getting a 30-40% take rate on the SRs. from anecdotal reports).

Fifth: Look at the VIN registration rates. Compare how fast they've grown compared to last quarter. VINs don't directly correspond to production, but they relate to it, and the registration rate is rocking it. Production is huge. Think back to the very first days of the Model 3 unveiling. Do we all remember the presentations? "There's global demand for 10k/week when the $35k car is in the mix" right? Perfectly reasonable numbers then, and still reasonable today. So what does this mean? The closer we get to 10k/wk, the larger the portion for the mix needs to be SR . We can't keep putting this off. SR must be built , because we're on the upper end of the S curve. This is something to celebrate .

This is a complicated topic. Doesn't fit nicely in tweets or reporter paraphrases of a brief call. It really could use a presentation (I tried to help by making an infographic - https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1102712466813976576 ). But it is critical that investors understand the topic, or they're going to be wandering around like chickens with their heads cut off for no good reason. This is essential and good for the company, and as per the plan .

A couple more things.

Sixth: I can't help but shake my head whenever I hear anyone describe this as some sort of "sudden decision". Really, a sudden decision? They developed capacity to mass produce a bunch of new model variants, suddenly? To mass produce new interiors, suddenly? The new website, suddenly? Federal approval of new vehicle models, suddenly ? Is that what we think is happening here? It's nonsense; please, people, think through these arguments before you make them . Tesla had to introduce it now, first off in order to get a surge of March domestic deliveries so that they can defocus from Europe and China and reduce inventory in transit, and secondly, it should be noted, because who would trust their Model Y pricing numbers if they hadn't met Model 3 price numbers yet? Should they have delayed Model Y? Of course not.

Seventh: About stores. And here's something I'm going to hate to say, but I'm going to say it: the shorts were right last year . Remember one of their constant criticisms of Tesla? "SG&A is too high." And it was. SG&A is wasted money. Even worse, there were long lead times - E.g. Tesla started building some stores over a year ago that are only getting completed just now. Tons of tied up investment. SG&A really needs to pay itself off. So... does it? We don't have that data - Tesla does. And they clearly think that they simply don't need this store SG&A except in the busiest of areas - that they'll drive a lot more sales by cutting prices 5-6% across the board (because savings help S&X as well as 3!) than they drive off. And honestly, I can't argue with this. Forget about Tesla's 7-day return "test drive" - who wouldn't choose to ask a friend or rent a car on Turo for a day as a test drive of a car they're interested in, if it means that the car is vastly cheaper? Yes, some people will be driven off. No question. But far more people who've been waiting for a low-cost Tesla - or even just a good affordable electric car in general - will now have the chance to jump in, when they didn't before. And if for some reason this situation needs to change in the future - say, half a year to a year down the line? *Tesla can start stores and/or traditional test drives back up*. And while they bear shutdown/startup costs, they've saved 6-12 months of operating costs, which is more than worth it.

Eighth: BREATHE, Gali. :) You do this manic thing where you oscillate from super-thrilled to freaking out. That's not good for an investor. If there's something you don't understand... step back and talk to as diverse of a crowd as you can about it.
----------------------
Thank you.

So parts of Australia is getting hot. Too hot, like close to 50c for long periods in the summer and the coal and gas plants keep failing partly because of the high temperatures and partly because of the strain of millions of ACs all running at full tilt. Who knew that trying to keep cool by burning massive amounts a coal and gas would be a mistake...

Almost all of their politicians are more or less bought by the coal and gas industry but that doesn't matter anymore. The advantages of cheap renewables and battery storage are enough to make them the only viable alternative.

As for EVs there are extra taxes of 33% on imported cars with a value of over 53000usd. Charging network is basically nonexistent. Even Tesla superchargers only cover densely populated areas and will do so for the foreseeable future. Taking a road trip around Auastralia in an EV is time-consuming and almost impossible. Total EV fleet in Australia is about 7000. Half of them are Teslas so good market penetration. Model 3 will be an attainable car for many in Australia after the price cuts.

It was snowy winter in Sweden today so I watched a Fully Charged episode from sunny Australia. Hense the interest above.

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden
While I agree with everything you wrote, I believe your ending line hints at a second reason, i.e. that Tesla is currently sacrificing profits in order to maximize their market share.

In time people will want to verb "Tesla" (as in "Amazoned") - in relation to e.g. auto makers and dealers.

So for investing in TSLA one needs to remember Elon Musks statement, that if you don't like volatility, then don't buy TSLA. I think that will hold for quite some time.
Agreed.... I was thinking along similar lines.... the Silicon Valley pace of innovation wherein market share > early profitability is how they are executing.

Reactions: lklundin
Market Share BEVs Feb 2019.png

While Tesla had only 16 days for people to pick up cars in the DeC all other manufacturers did have 24 for the 3 that started at February 13th.

Also we can fairly assume that you have had a ramp up curve with slow start of deliveries and that was what I experienced tracking those.

In other words now as the DeCs are almost fully equipped and rolling, the average delivery rate per day is much higher what it was mid of February.

March should give us even better numbers likely above 2k.

I presume this was part of the international delivery issues mentioned by Elon on Thursday that impacts profitability in Q1.

It doesn't look like Tesla model 3 sales are actually halted in China, I think sales are just paused to allow inspections, but I presume if the inspection is clear the car can be sold. "As a result, GAC issued a notice forbidding companies from selling any Tesla Model 3 already in China, for the purpose of further inspection. Any additional Tesla models entering China will also be rigorously checked."

Kelvin is normally accurate, but I haven't yet seen a source that Tesla's fix has been accepted.

Anyone have an idea what the "wrong motor nameplate"/ different " real motor capacity" means? Is this LR AWD labelled as Ps etc?
so what exactly is the difference between "halted" and "paused" again?

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
Kelvin Yang on Twitter

Falcing Reuters.. Anyway, Good night. All the best FUD busting - I suspect there will be a deluge today.
Turns out yesterday’s rumors were legit, but they intentionally left out the severity of the issues.
China is Currently Holding 1,600 Teslas at Customs - Caixin Global

Keywords are “some cars have English labels on brake fluid tank instead of Chinese”, and “some demonstrated a real motor capacity that differed from the one on the label”, not all of them, means they should have correct Chinese labels at factory that they can just overnight to China and paste on. Nothing burger.

EDIT:
Chinese version of the same news report is slightly different:
http://m.companies.caixin.com/m/2019-03-05/101387914.html
It claims all cars has English labels on brake fluid tanks.
But still not big issue, it’s in China, where you can get any label in a few hours.(pun intended)

Another detail is the report is done by reporters in HK, not mainland, you can try reading tea labels in the cups on that.

Last edited:
So is there gonna be an event for tomorrow's SuperCharger v3.0?
Also can S/X batteries handle v3.0 max specs? ...
Osbourne or Refresh?
cheers!!

*Max* specs? no, but all cars across the fleet will see charging speed increases. How much depends on the battery. If you look at the charts on this page:

Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

i believe the flat lines at the top of each graph imply where gains will be made by each battery.

i don't know if the new charger would allow completely different charging curves, or if those are set firmly by the physics of the capacity and chemistry.

View attachment 383160

While Tesla had only 16 days for people to pick up cars in the DeC all other manufacturers did have 24 for the 3 that started at February 13th.

Also we can fairly assume that you have had a ramp up curve with slow start of deliveries and that was what I experienced tracking those.

In other words now as the DeCs are almost fully equipped and rolling, the average delivery rate per day is much higher what it was mid of February.

March should give us even better numbers likely above 2k.

What are the chances of having end of quarter surge, similar to what happened last quarter in US?
If Germany/Norway just continue at current rate .. no way Europe will consume the 8(ships)*3K volume for this quarter ...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: avoigt
OT

When everything else is constant, current is proportional to average charged carrier velocity.
True
However, the original example was comparing two different chargers with two totally different connectors and cables. Their "A" terms were totally different, so the speed of the charge carriers between the two do NOT let you compare the currents between the two.
True, but my original response wasn't to the original example but to this post, which stated:
Except that current is not speed. Electrons travel at the same rate through annealed copper regardless of current level (ignoring zero).
(...)
..which I think we both agree is false when talking about electron particles. (Electromagnetic wave propagation is a different story, but poster was talking about electrons.)

The factor n in your equation depends of many things, not the least of which is the temperature of the conductors which will also be different between the two chargers.
False, here n is just the number of free electrons per m^3 in the conductor. Which is dependent on the mass density, molar volume, free electrons per mole. What I think you are referring to is electric resistivity, which is a function of temperature.

/OT
On Barclay's writing this is Tesla's 'un-iphone moment', who remembers this letter?

Apple - To all iPhone customers

To all iPhone customers:
I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T;, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
Apple CEO​

It's as iPhone as it gets, I would only hope Elon starts communicating better! :)