Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knows but I’m having a difficult time seeing Elon & the SEC coming to terms on this in their own accord.
Based on what I've read, I'm pretty sure the SEC does not want a ruling from the judge, and Elon just wants something reasonable that will keep the SEC from continuing nuisance suits. So I think they will come to an agreement. (IANAL)

Absolutely. In other words, Nissan would not have a business case to extend Leafs range if buyers were content with small batteries.

Now, if someone (Tesla?) offered a loaner for long trips on demand then case for longer range would diminish slightly , but right now people need a buffer, definitively.
Yet, Nissan someone weaseled some people into buying a small battery car. Most seem to love it and drive the heck out of it.

A very good point. Buy a 50 kWh Tesla and get to borrow a 100 kWh for a certain number of days per year. These drivers would be on < 55 kWh exposure and never skip a SC fewer than absolutely necessary. We are suppose to move away from the car ownership paradigm, per Tesla, right?

The defunct battery swap service would have come in handy here, seasonality or range desire the greatest downside perhaps. I wonder where Nio might go with their swap service.
Durable low cost batteries and 5-minute swaps, what's not to like? Tesla's SC network takes a lot of real estate and capital investment as well. Not sure which cells get more coverage, those in Powerpacks or those in batteries about to be put back into cars of travelers.

Toilet Boy's latest theory: institutionals only invest in Tesla because Musk's elite network of spies digs up dirt on them to blackmail them with:

View attachment 400543
View attachment 400544

what a grade-A db
i don’t get how there’s nothing else in life for these miserable bastards then to wallow in their own group hatred of, basically themselves, once you get to the core of it.

If the car can stay on the road a long time and distance (key to making BEVs work for the environment), it's less of a catastrophe. But that overpaid lease driver could have suffices with 75 kWh or 60 kWh has Tesla still offered those. And surely after 3 years someone would just as happily have bought that car used. Needless pollution remains just that, until the battery overcapacity is utilize better. Say, bring in you 100 kWh car, let Tesla extract 40 kWh and put it into a huge PowerWall for your mansion. Car still drives fine. No need to strain the environment with the "greenification" of your house. Heck, a Tesla battery module is worth good money and those who buy them for home built powerwalls or ICEVtoBEV conversions get great use out of them.

You are conveniently forgetting that charge and power rates are lower with smaller packs. Also you are increasing cycle rate so overall battery life gets shorter.

The only advantage to smaller battery is weight that you have to carry around, that is it.

Aren't we basically seeing the result of Tesla trying to manage a very challenging situation that they created by taking reservations for the model 3 combined with the loss of a huge portion of the tax credit in Q1? No doubt, they would love a do over for Q1 (which would probably require managing Q3/4 2018 differently), but it seems to me this was nearly inevitable, particularly when Tesla went so hardcore after the U.S. market in 2H 2018. The pull forward of demand in Q4 2018 had an absolutely brutal effect for Q1. To smooth the financial effect, Tesla would have been better off with 10,000+ in transit from Q4 rather than trying to take in transit down to an absolute minimum in Q4. All of this has created some unnecessary financial stress and seriously raised uncertainty about the sustainable demand levels. The stock has suffered as a result, and now they are seriously considering a capital raise with the stock near 52 week low? Elon deserves criticism over how he has managed the last couple of quarters. Apparently, he seems to like volatility.

Lol, you have an oddly selective view. Yesterday Elon said the stock market is manic depressive. I think this proves he reads this forum. o_O

Firstly, he deliberately focused on US deliveries in 2018H2 in order to maximize US residents access to incentives. I believe his words last year were "We will do the right thing". That was a choice, and was motivated by good will. Same as Tesla sending powerwalls on priority delivery to Puerto Rico. The man is altruistic beyond doubt.

2019Q1 was a good plan, with a reasonable chance of success. Biggest hiccup was Panasonic under-delivering bty cells. To remedy that, Tesla will buy Maxwell becoming the sole source of the world's most advanced lithium battery cells. But it'll take time. Elon's will take that time. Will you? He says 'Maxwell bty day' will be later this year or next. That's how long it'll take. For reals.

Second biggest hiccup was delayed deliveries. 1-time teething pains can be expected, but not planned for in advance. But now those extra Euros and Yuan are safely in the bank, and production, shipments, and deliveries will go forward in a steadier stream.

Tesla doesn't need a capital raise urgently, they started Q2 with $2.2 B in cash and guided for positive FCF in Q2. With GF3/Shanghai already funded from local ABS bonds, there's no financial pressure there either, just tremendous latent demand for the best EV in the world. Let's wait and see what capital requirements are for Model Y production. Should be decided in a few weeks. Then the capital requirements can be assessed.

As far as "seriously raised uncertainty about the sustainable demand levels", Tesla was working on a major S/X production refit throughout Q1. So the problem is just they didn't tell everyone in advance? Osbourne here often? Or is it supposed to happened overnight?

Look I understand you feel disappointed in Q1 but both Elon and Tesla are working in good faith as fast as possible. NOT ONE SINGLE other company on earth made even remotely similar progress in even the past 10 years as Tesla did in the last 2 quarters.

Tesla and Elon should be congratulated for their achievement, not micro-managed by Thursday-morning Quarterbacks. Elon also this has long-standing guidance for investors: "If you don't like volatility, sell our stock".

Cheers!

Only 2 % of cars were subject to lease accounting this quarter, so that is at best a rounding error.
The reference may have been to:

We adopted the new leasing standard, ASC 842 on January 1, 2019, which resulted in (i) recognition of right-of-use assets of $1.29 billion (as “Operating lease right-of-use assets”) and lease liabilities of $1.24 billion for operating leases on the consolidated balance sheet, and (ii) de-recognition of build-to-suit lease assets (from “Property, plant & equipment”) and liabilities of $1.62 billion and $1.74 billion, respectively, with the net impact of $96.7 million recorded to accumulated deficit.

Reactions: neroden
Nah, ppl just haven't seen the result of the damage. Once it happened, nobody will disagree with you

There were other quarters before where shitty earning report didn't cause an immediate drop like this quarter. I need to remind people that TSLA released ER very late. It was waaay past most AH trading time and only a very selected few brokerage can trade that late. Tomorrow morning we will see the real response to what this ER is like.

The institutions may wait until the 10Q, with more "granularity," is filed before re-assessing their positions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
So, 25 days into Q2, those 10K 'In-Transit' Model 3s should have been mostly delivered. We know know from the EC that the ASP is now close to $50K, so let's just use that as a round number, along with 20% gross margin also from the EC yesterday.

That's 10K*$50K*20% or 100 MILLION USD in FCF already in Q2.

Tesla doesn't need a capital raise to build a new Sprung Structure in Fremont for Model Y. Then they can share the Schuler Press too.

I like it.
If you count the other way around, without the shipping f-up, they'have $600M in stead of $700M loss. So where did the rest come from if they guided profits, maybe forever?

Or, it's what they can afford. Or it's from a manufacturer they prefer. Or it's a form factor they prefer. Or that's all that had been largely available until recently.

My observation is that folks buy the greatest amount of range they can afford.

Then apparently you are ignorant of (or deliberately ignoring) the fact they initially offered 40kWh packs.

The take rate was so incredibly low (something like less than 4% if I recall), that they discontinued them as it didn't' make financial sense to keep offering them.
Is it fair to compare the 2012 market for $60K, 40 kWh luxury sedans with today's?
The SC network, everyone tells me, has come a long way. And I sure see that with the various 50 kW networks.

If people still buy all the range they can afford, perhaps Tesla should try harder (again) to explain BEVing to newcomers. First the fight was to justify less range than on a tank of fuel. And these forums were very vocal about it. Now, with all those chargers and improved efficiencies, I see the likes of you defending needlessly long range cars. Don't we both care for the environment? A 100 kWh car only makes sense environmentally if it displaces a brand new high annual mileage petrol car. Say, you run a SF-LA transfer service and you don't want to stop any longer than a pee brake, even switch drivers to make that safe as possible. It's then a solid BMW/Audi/Merc petrol cars, or a Tesla, basically. In the case of a minivan, those kind of compete for footprint/person/mile in the same way planes and trains do, but I digress. For such a service, and I know they exist, 100 kWh seems warranted. These operators log crazy miles on Tesla and indicate that they may be halfway to the million mile car already, at least with this type of use.

Regarding the wave unwinding, I’ll believe it when I see it. Not the first time Tesla promised the same. But, for what it is worth, skabooshka (yes that one) reported that the factory was switching much faster between international and domestic production in Q2. So that does sound like undoing the wave. Was there any indication if they’d unwind gradually over multiple quarters of just take the full hit in Q2?
Definitely sounded like multiple quarters, but also like they were gonna do a lot of it in Q2.

For perspective, suppose they go full-out to 7K/week and unwind completely, and suppose average days in transit is 25 (as Fact Checking surmises). That would be *25,000* cars in transit, versus 10,600 right now. A buildup of 14,400 Model 3. At a 38K production cost, that uses $547 million in cash. I suspect they're going to do maybe half to 2/3 of that in Q2.

Well, I don’t know about you but I was expecting a Q1 loss. Especially since Mgmt specifically told us to expect a Q1 loss.

What’s clear to me is that Tesla continues to scale the business (lumpy) while paving the way for future growth. China, Model 3 RHD, Model Y and the Model S upgrades (& I’m sure that the X will be upgraded soon) are all growth drivers within the next 3 - 4 quarters.

The big issue for me is what multiple the above company deserves. It should have higher multiples than the rest of the auto industry but based on recent execution the multiples should be much lower than tech companies. The business above are very hardware dependent solutions to hardware dependent problems (transport) - high Capex investments, lower growth and lower margins vs tech.

Now FSD, Robotaxi & insurance stack is a much broader future vision that layers software solutions with low Capex growth and larger margins on top of the current business. The question with these are 1. Are they even possible and 2. Timing.

Until some of this is resolved I suspect multiples for the automotive business will stay flat and maybe even compress.

And the other big development this quarter was confirmation that Audi’s EV sucks & that Tesla’s lead in the transition to BEV has been expanding. This is pretty important and I think overlooked.

On January 30th, Tesla issued guidance of approximately 20,000 S /X deliveries in Q1. (said would come in slightly below Q12018)

My wife used to play this game called cake mania. In the game you play as a waitress and the goal is to serve the customers in the restaurant. There are too many things to order, where customers are waiting with different asks, they keep coming at different frequencies, and you have to ensure that the food gets to the right customer in right time. I tried it once but I sucked at it.

Last quarter felt like cake mania for Tesla. They had to deal with 2 new regions of customers, export and label issues, shipping / logistics, tooling for S&X, model 3 SR variants and associated order mix change. I am just impressed that they quickly found stability and are back to their 90-100k forecast.