Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the deal with Elon and a margin call? The guy who has billions in TSLA options is buying TSLA stock on margin? I don't get it.

It's not just theoretically BS - it was confirmed as BS during the capital raise. It was premised on Elon having borrowed over a billion dollars, when it turns out he's only borrowed a bit over half that.

It's also premised on Elon being required (for no reason whatsoever) to borrow no more than 15% of his shares that back his loans - half the maximum. And that he can't go to a higher percentage (why? no reason at all).

It's also premised on Elon not being able to back loans with any of his private corporate holdings (such as SpaceX).

It's also premised on the notion that even if something suggesting a margin call were going to happen, that Tesla's board would prefer Musk to dump stock on the open market and hurt the SP rather than just simply... you know... raising the maximum amount of his shares that they'll let him use to back his loans.

It's also premised on the notion that Musk would rather dump shares than sell personal assets.

It's a short fantasy with no bearing in reality whatsoever.

Last edited:
I'm looking at unit sales and building the structures necessary to support those sales. It's hard to do more than 50%. My comment is more about operations.

I have no idea what S/X will do.

A lot of people are buying the model 3, regardless that the form factor may not be most buyers ideal. That's a strength, not a weakness.
Volume then, not revenue, check. So, less growth still versus guidance through the past years. Thus grounds for lower SP.
With 3 in stead of 2 lines they've not gotten close to long terms Model 3 production targets.

While it's good to be able to sell an impractical showbo car to early adopters, it's not exactly a product strategy for the future, we're running out of hippy street racers at alarming rate. It was possible to sell lots in a market devoid of premium BEVs anywhere near its prive level. This is not an enternal situation, especially with in-house competition to arrive in a year.

Adding Model Y will happen 3 years late and likely cannibalize 2 out of 4 Model 3s built now unless they can achieve a very significant price cut on the 3. In my opinion, a much shorter range version should be considered with optional upgrades over time. Charge speed, connectivity, maybe even the whole FSD suite. At $4-5K difference, it's a bit silly to buy a 3. I think it's different than the S/X choice. The Model S is not impractical or uncomfortable, cargo space staggering considering under 30 cm shorter than the five years younger Model 3.

Hi guys,

First time poster, but have been lurking around this thread for a while now. Just bought 30 more shares, taking my total to 96, or 90% of my portfolio as the online account says (don't worry, stocks are play money). Anyway, I live in a country which doesn't yet have any public charging option, although the gov't offers a ~11,000$ grant to anyone buying a fully electric car (Leafs and Zoes are milking it).

There's a lot of demand for Tesla to open up shop here and I'm sure that's the case in a lot of other countries. Having the closest dealership/service station ~1200km away is not ideal and not a good solution for anyone that sees the Tesla as a daily driver and only car. Are there any models on how many orders a Tesla dealership/service station requires in order to make financial sense? Would like to use the sales data for compact sedans to see what kind of market share would Tesla get and how far away from the magical number we'd be.

On-topic, I was never able to see the case for the bears. Tesla has a product that customers love and essentially they can't make enough of. And, given that they don't rely on advertising, awareness outside California/US is still quite low. Not necessarily of the brand/Elon, but of the huge advantages an EV has over an ICE-powered car, TCO being a big one in Europe, where fossil fuels are significantly more expensive than in the US and an EV can easily save you thousands over the car's lifetime.