Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the pricing is a little disappointing, no idea if there will be any subsidy.
Most people on China social network are not happy.

At least no Osborne for imported SRP right now.

Isn’t this just announced price also for the SRP though? Presumably less people will buy the current US made SRP available in China currently, especially as the China made SR+ release gets closer.

Yes, VAT included.

But there seems to be another 10% purchase tax (like most cars in China, except for some eligible new energy vehicles), no mention of cutting that 10% for Giga Shanghai Model 3 right now.

VAT is around 16% in China I believe? So that would make the price basically the same as US SR+ pricing (but doesn’t have AP)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Jovian and neroden
I am guessing that Total part content is not representative of total cost content. Also the total cost of parts may be much lower than total cost to build the car. I am guessing total parts cost must be in low 20Ks. Lastly some parts can then be locally sourced.

I think this is less about Tesla’s margin and more about macro which will affect demand slowdown. Good time to roll out model Y to generate new demand in case of any temp issues.

So strategy seems to be:

Selling US made SR+ in China at higher price, with included AP&FSD basically eating the cost of the import tariff (as in Tesla isn’t getting any money back from the AP/FSD inclusion).

Take orders for China made SR+ without AP/FSD for 49,000 lower price.

That seems like a good strategy to take, and once the China produced vehicles start delivering then the US produced SR+ model stops shipping to China, and the locally made SR+ with AP/FSD becomes much more profitable.

(I’m picking the 300,000 price point is being saved for the SR)

Isn’t this just announced price also for the SRP though? Presumably less people will buy the current US made SRP available in China currently, especially as the China made SR+ release gets closer.

VAT is around 16% in China I believe? So that would make the price basically the same as US SR+ pricing (but doesn’t have AP)

Imported SRP has been on sale since Q2, although SRP might have not been shipped to China yet.
The price is 377,000.

This just announced 328,000 is for locally built SRP, so not particularly cheaper, especially Autopilot is not included, which is an extra 27,800, which makes it 355,800, only about 20,000 less, about 3000 us dollars.

VAT for automotive industry has been cut down to 13% recently.

I do not think the tariff has any real impact. Most if not all other car makers have Mexican content that ranges (after a quick look using gooble "Mexican content of American cars", show that many have 44% Mexican content. Many have less but some may have more.

To put this in context - the locally made BMW 320 is priced at 339k.

So, 328k for SR+ looks like the right price.

ps :

BMW, Mercedes-Benz lower prices in China after VAT drop

BMW said it would reduce prices for both domestically produced and imported models, including the locally-made BMW 3 series and BMW 5 series, along with the BMW X5 and BMW 7 import models. The BMW 320Li M model will sell for a suggested retail price of 339,800 yuan ($50,620), a drop of 10,000 yuan from its original price.

Last edited:
Too high or too low?

I keep reading on this thread that Chinese buyers of premium brand cars prefer high prices for prestige. :confused:

BTW I think this is the right move. If they realize much lower cost in the future they can cut prices in the future.

I don't think it's a right move, By reading Chinsse Tesla M3 forums , i can see people are very disappointed by the price, they are switching to buy other brand, also they are lost the faith for tesla brand.

Chevron executive is secretly pushing anti-electric car effort in Arizona

A California lobbyist for Chevron Corp. is urging retirees of the oil company in Arizona to oppose electric-car policies here, saying the vehicles are too expensive for most people and should not be promoted.

A handful of people who either retired from Chevron or from Unocal, which Chevron acquired in 2005, have used the form letter to urge Arizona Corporation Commissioners not to require electric companies here to build electric-car charging stations.

Form letters are commonly used to lobby commissioners, but the secretive nature of this campaign has drawn criticism, including from a retiree who alerted commissioners to the lobbyist's effort.

The letters discourage electric-car infrastructure.

"Let the electric vehicle industry finance the construction of the infrastructure from which it will benefit, rather than burdening most Arizona ratepayers with the costs of supporting the electric vehicle market," wrote Sel Larsen, the president of the Arizona retirees group.
Where is the "Hate their lying guts" button?

China built Model 3 SR+ may not be super cheap but it should be eligible for subsidies/incentives, right? How much will that reduce the effective cost / increase the margin (I remember a mention of both manufacturer and customer incentives ?) ?

They could be making more margin on these Chinese built SR+ than the Fremont ones, even at the lower price, and as long as there's enough demand for them ... being cheaper than the locally built BMW 320 I don't know why anyone there is disappointed?

but why can't you guys see that this philosophy SUCKS for the vast majority of Model 3 prospects, who CANT charge at home or at work?
This is an insignificant number of people. About 10% of US households have no car at all. About 80% have an off-street parking space (i.e. they aren't mooching off street parking). What's left -- 10% of the population who have cars and no parking space. It's an irrelevance for years to come.

Renters who do have a private parking space and can't get their landlord to install a charger are a much larger and more meaningful issue.

how can anyone in an urban area, townhome, or apartment be expected to buy a Tesla if their only charging options completely suck?
For the most part, their charging options are fine. Install a charger at the parking space associated with their townhome, apartment, etc. For owners or condo owners, it's trivial. For renters, it's not trivial, but it is straightforward, it just depends on how obnoxious the landlord is.

I think that is for Europe only.

Pretty sure that is in fact for Type 2 CCS (mostly Europe, some other places). But it's existence does make a Type 1 CCS for North America happening eventually at least plausible. Many stated over and over that it couldn't be done due to rules set for by the CCS organization, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm hopeful we see one eventually, though perceptually a CHAdeMO adapter is more important to have now than a CCS adapter for North America I expect that will change over time.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Imported SRP has been on sale since Q2, although SRP might have not been shipped to China yet.
The price is 377,000.

This just announced 328,000 is for locally built SRP, so not particularly cheaper, especially Autopilot is not included, which is an extra 27,800, which makes it 355,800, only about 20,000 less, about 3000 us dollars.

VAT for automotive industry has been cut down to 13% recently.
377,000 plus (your) VAT is 426,010 total. (or is the 377K including VAT?)

355,800 (SRP plus Autopilot) which rumor is saying includes VAT is 70,210 in savings.
Lets call it 60K in saving to be sure VAT on Autopilot is included.

SO $9,000US in savings. That's quite a bit...
Altho I thought $3K in saving was nice too since that's around 7% off.

BUT I guess the bears will be along soon to tell us how it actually costs more some how. And since there is 7% in savings there is no way the Chinese version can be at profit because it's SO expensive to manufacture products in China.

I'd have to disagree. Tesla claimed 400,000 deposits on the M3 and I don't think they've sold that many to this day. I remember when the media reported that the refund rate was super high for the Model 3 and I figured it was more FUD. Turns out they were right on that one (apparently).
No, they were totally wrong.

About half the reservation deposits on Model 3 were from outside the US. Would you care to think about how many of those have been delivered so far? Answer: there are still a lot of first day reservation holders waiting. Including those in Australia and Brazil and Iceland, but even many in France and Germany.

This is strange, Tesla includes AP in all cars now except off the books "$35.4k". And I remember they used to throw in AP for free into China cars when in U.S. it was an extra charge.

So, minus 13% sales tax this is $42k or $2k more than U.S. and then AP is extra.

Maybe this is to account for initial inefficiencies for low volume production and factory depreciation? (They already had the building in Fremont, although not GF1) or maybe pricing adjusted for local market/competition.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Full Mexico tariff will potentially reach 25%:

“To address the emergency at the Southern Border, I am invoking the authorities granted to me by the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. Accordingly, starting on June 10, 2019, the United States will impose a 5 percent Tariff on all goods imported from Mexico. If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the Tariffs will be removed. If the crisis persists, however, the Tariffs will be raised to 10 percent on July 1, 2019. Similarly, if Mexico still has not taken action to dramatically reduce or eliminate the number of illegal aliens crossing its territory into the United States, Tariffs will be increased to 15 percent on August 1, 2019, to 20 percent on September 1, 2019, and to 25 percent on October 1, 2019. Tariffs will permanently remain at the 25 percent level unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory. Workers who come to our country through the legal admissions process, including those working on farms, ranches, and in other businesses, will be allowed easy passage.”

I'm pretty sure this is illegal. At some point Congress may clarify the tariff law to make it clear that Trump does not have the power to issue arbitrary tariffs. He's supposed to only be able to issue tariffs for specific purposes, and "threatening an ally over immigration from third countries" isn't one of them. This might even get enough votes to override Trump's veto. You can bet every single business owner is giving every Republican Congressman an earful about the business-killing tariffs.