Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd have to disagree. Tesla claimed 400,000 deposits on the M3 and I don't think they've sold that many to this day. I remember when the media reported that the refund rate was super high for the Model 3 and I figured it was more FUD. Turns out they were right on that one (apparently).

So, I think if they got bold with the MY deposit number, the media would use the M3 deposits to actual sales to make the MY deposit number seem meaningless and a desperate attempt by Tesla to impress investors.
Two points.

-Tesla has sold 3s as many as they could build.
- these are preorders and not reservation. The expected time of delivery, the price and config and even the whole experience is available to customers before giving orders

Reactions: neroden
Tesla claimed 400,000 deposits on the M3 and I don't think they've sold that many to this day. I remember when the media reported that the refund rate was super high for the Model 3 and I figured it was more FUD. Turns out they were right on that one (apparently)
What was the actual rate claimed ?

When Tesla takes 3 years to start deliveries what would actually be a reasonable rate ?

With China, if they can deliver even 2k/wk within a year, they will get a very high rate of conversation.

For comparison Leaf had a conversation rate of something like 15%.

I'd have to disagree. Tesla claimed 400,000 deposits on the M3 and I don't think they've sold that many to this day. I remember when the media reported that the refund rate was super high for the Model 3 and I figured it was more FUD. Turns out they were right on that one (apparently).

So, I think if they got bold with the MY deposit number, the media would use the M3 deposits to actual sales to make the MY deposit number seem meaningless and a desperate attempt by Tesla to impress investors.

And if gold coins fell into your yard from the sky, I assume that would also be bad? I mean, there’s all that effort in lugging it to the bank.

Edit: seems to be a misunderstanding. We were talking about China pre-orders. Model 3 SR.

My mama would spend $20 in gas to drive to a grocery store giving away $10 hams. And I ain't BS'ing you!

My mama made me drive her to 3 or 4 supermarkets to save a few cents per pound on various produce.

And she insisted I take her to Costco on Saturday afternoon, because that is when they had the most free samples.

And I ain't BSing you either.

4721BF85-5B74-4EEE-A4A9-72539AD6747C.jpeg

‎Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast on Apple Podcasts

My mama made me drive her to 3 or 4 supermarkets to save a few cents per pound on various produce.

And she insisted I take her to Costco on Saturday afternoon, because that is when they had the most free samples.

It's hard not to think of prices of things as they were in your childhood. I recall that a common wage table went from 30 cents to 80 cents an hour. A few cents per pound on produce was a lot of money.

Continuing off topic: My dad would drive 20 m minutes out of his way to save 5 cents on a gallon of gas. After my original questioning him about the merits of this.....I gave up. :rolleyes:

OT

Haha - nice. I think it's more the 40 layers of insane bureaucracy we have to wade through rather than ignorance, but it has exactly the same effect. You can't even buy a bottle of wine in Wholefoods (or any grocery store) in NYC and they recently bailed on legalizing pot.
The state's still going to legalize it, it's just taking a while to get through our infamous legislature (rated the worst in the nation for several decades, though it got better recently when the cabal of crooks who were gerrymandering it got tossed).

NYC... is its own thing. I substantially prefer living in Ithaca, and I actually avoid NYC due to a persistent bad attitude about disability rights, far worse than anywhere else I've been in the US.

OT
:) FC said " the gold standard brought us the thousand years long economic stagnation of the Middle Ages and the Great Depression and WWII after all."

That's some historical simplification you've got there.
Simplified, but pretty much accurate. (An important addition might be that the gold standard in the early Dark Ages was actually a *consequence* of the collapse of legitimate government at the end of the Roman Republic -- you can't convince people to use fiat money issued by an extremely untrustworthy source or a government which might be gone next week.)

I suspect the extensions with every referral aren't a mistake.

I think they meant for it to be that the expiration date would be reset to 6 months past your last referral. It makes no sense to extend it by 6 months with each referral. I think Bjorn has about 87 years to use his free supercharging credits at this point... Why have an expiration if you are going to let it be extended to 87 years?