Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question If you buy a Tesla or any EV with cash you have made from shorting Tesla common equity are you a good person or a bad person Clearly you are fighting the climate issues, but you are profiting of the decline in the equity price

Also, while I agree with you I do not like hearing criticism of Wall Street only when the equity goes down, unless you can show praise of wall street when it was up

Go Tesla

First, I’m happy to criticize WS shenanigans when my SP is going up. Wait for it. Crooks be crooks whether I benefit or not.

Second, one good deed does not negate the bad deed.

Also with all the anti-Rivian talk earlier, I hope they succeed. Need more than 1 horse pulling the EV train.

I feel Rivian's situation is similar to NIO. Everything seems great, except one problem: how will they deal with competition from Tesla? Tesla spent 16 years to accumulate experience and knowledge in battery tech, drivetrain, chip, software, production scale, automation... If Tesla offers a great pickup truck at $50k, will Rivian sell well at $70k?

NIO did everything including lying to show they have been selling well with bright future, they can't change the fact Tesla will compete with them head on. The market can see that.

Watching Apple WWDC, you feel the stark difference between Apple and Tesla marketing. With Apple, you feel like there's a bunch of superstars at the company, whereas with Tesla, you feel like Elon is the only person doing anything at Tesla.

Autonomy day was a decent step departure from that, but it was a bit too geeky and doesn't connect with the layperson.
Apple are flogging "dark mode" as one of their main features this year. Last year it was AR emojis.

First lesson of stock investing, which most people never learn:
-- do not attempt to find a logical or sensible reason for short-term individual stock price moves, most of the time there isn't one which you can find

There's often something, like "T Rowe Price is selling" or "Tencent is buying", which you have absolutely no way of finding out until far too late to trade on it.

If I were to guess, I would guess that most of the traders right now are people paying no attention to Tesla's fundamentals. There's index fund outflows going on due to general panic. Momentum trading robots will pile on.

However, I will go out on a limb and say that the general panic and bear market in *all* stocks is *definitely* due to Trump's tariffs, which are wildly erratic and are freaking out every businessperson in the entire country (and world, probably).

GNW, which I am speculating in, is trading down with the market as a whole, which makes no sense because it's a cash merger play so it should be trading based on likelihood of merger completion... but it's in a lot of index funds, so index fund outflows drive it down. *Eyeroll*

Don't forget Technical analysis, which is technically nonsense... but sometimes it works because other people think it works sometimes.

I feel Rivian's situation is similar to NIO. Everything seems great, except one problem: how will they deal with competition from Tesla? Tesla spent 16 years to accumulate experience and knowledge in battery tech, drivetrain, chip, software, production scale, automation... If Tesla offers a great pickup truck at $50k, will Rivian sell well at $70k?

NIO did everything including lying to show they have been selling well with bright future, they can't change the fact Tesla will compete with them head on. The market can see that.

You're making the mistake that shorties do by segregating the EV and ICE markets.

Rivian doesn't have to be better then Tesla necessarily, just close enough, but better than ICE.... Something that will be easier and easier to do as time goes on and EV tech get better and batteries get cheaper.

Today I was on the highway, decided to stop at the Tesla SuperChager nearby; my spidey sense told me I could see a M3...
And I did!

Owners were a nice couple from Switzerland: we spoke about half an hour about Tesla, Elon, the car, the stock.
Interesting tidbits were:
* in Switzerland, in April, M3 was *THE* most sold car
* they told me that Swiss people are pissed with German automakers: they feel conned for Dieselgate. They are wealthy, tech-savvy folks, and Tesla is giving them what they want.
* they were also BMW owners, and understand people that are afraid to change. But Teslas are so much better, they kept saying "it's the future". They also told me: "Germans had a candle, and they improved it until it was perfect. But, at the end of the day, it was still a candle".
* M3 is great and all their friends and family want one.
* Swill people can't still buy Powerwall, for a difference in the electric system. They said Tesla is working on it.

In the short time I was there, I've seen 4-5 Teslas, which is a lot for that SC (and for Italy in general).

Last edited: