Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, Tesla communications are an unmitigated disaster right now. The interal phone system isn't working and everything is being bounced back to the evil phone tree, where nearly every selection you make tells you to go online instead. Online chat isn't working either. And email just gets a mindless autorespond. The only way to reach Tesla today was to keep calling local service center phone numbers until I found one which was working -- and of course the person there could not reach any other department because the internal computer system was down.
While I find Tesla's phone tree to be mildly annoying, I've never truly had difficulty speaking with a live human being. My primary complaint is that, to ensure our issues get addressed, I usually find myself needing to follow up. I do agree that Tesla's overall communications are not befitting of a company that sells "premium" products. This is not a knock on Tesla's customer service staff; rather, it's a reflection of the chaos that seems to exist within parts of the company. I wouldn't go as far as to call Tesla's communications any sort of "disaster", however. At least Tesla's reps are generally pleasant, once you get them on the phone, and they seem to want to do right by their customers.

Wow, that was actually a respectful interview by CNBC

The tide had to turn eventually as the knowledge base spreads wider. Gone are the days where they can spout any old BS and be believed. Each passing day the media has to be a bit more honest to maintain respect from increasingly savvy readers and viewers.

Remember the made in China Model 3 price they quoted was higher than expected, so maybe they were figuring the cost of 0% leases into that.
I believe 0% was for LRs, which will not be made in China. So, this sounded like Chinese made SRs was not enough and they wanted to grab some more from U.S. too. Which is a respectable goal when you want a clean air in the cities.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The tide had to turn eventually as the knowledge base spreads wider. Gone are the days where they can spout any old BS and be believed. Each passing day the media has to be a bit more honest to maintain respect from increasingly savvy readers and viewers.
"There's a sucker born every minute."
-- Phineas Taylor Barnum, Senior Senator from Connecticut.

Last edited:
The U.S. defense budget IS a subsidy to fossil fuels.

People say we get cheap oil from the Middle East, but what does it cost annually to keep the US Sixth Fleet on constant patrol in the Eastern Med? What does it cost for a single 'sabre-rattling' sortie of a Carrier Group into the Persian Gulf? How much of the R&D budget pays for weapons that will only ever be used to protect oil-soaked medieval autocracies?

Yeah, it's not listed as a budget item. Hint: it's like HALF of the U.S. GDP. Not the Federal Budget; the G.D. GDP. :oops:

How embarrassing.

While I agree with the US military being at least partially an oil subsidy, our military spending is not half of GDP, it's like 3-4% of GDP (~$700 billion):

Military expenditure (% of GDP) | Data

The U.S. defense budget IS a subsidy to fossil fuels.

People say we get cheap oil from the Middle East, but what does it cost annually to keep the US Sixth Fleet on constant patrol in the Eastern Med? What does it cost for a single 'sabre-rattling' sortie of a Carrier Group into the Persian Gulf? How much of the R&D budget pays for weapons that will only ever be used to protect oil-soaked medieval autocracies?

Yeah, it's not listed as a budget item. Hint: it's like HALF of the U.S. GDP. Not the Federal Budget; the G.D. GDP. :oops:

How embarrassing.
You live with people from a certain eastern coastal province and the endless sounds of chainsaws and beavers flapping their tails and you're embarrassed by the US defense budget?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It's time to fight fire with fire:

Hey @elonmusk , can you please write an email to all of $TSLA employees refuting this latest FUD from Matousek?
Need to keep employee morale up
1f609.png

S Padival on Twitter

Reactions: AZRI11 and madodel
This is my personal opinion (so not as a moderator) and so was my previous post:

I appreciate the input by Neroden and think he is (you are) a valuable resource on this site, although on the subject of communications/service and robotaxi it is becoming very repetitive. I appreciate most of his (your) comments. But going on a serial posting spree about virtually every subject that was discussed today is in my eyes is not the right approach.

He doesn't monitor the thread on a daily basis so often has to catch up. That's why we'll get bursts of neroden followed by silence. Over all the posting volume is not high.

Thanks for that. Why is this case taking so long to go to trial? Is it normal?

Is there a normal for this type of case?
Last I saw, Tesla was supposed to get a bunch of communications between legislators and the dealer's association. The May 2 filing was for removal of deadline, so maybe that was delayed even more.

Perhaps Tesla is slow playing it to have a future demand lever and to reduce SG&A, if you can't be in a state, people can't blame you for not having good service/ delivery center coverage.

Super long shot, Tesla is looking at putting in a factory and doesn't want to stir the pot.

On the up side, Toledo is getting/ has a service center, so we've got that going for us.

This is my personal opinion (so not as a moderator) and so was my previous post:

I appreciate the input by Neroden and think he is (you are) a valuable resource on this site, although on the subject of communications/service and robotaxi it is becoming very repetitive. I appreciate most of his (your) comments. But going on a serial posting spree about virtually every subject that was discussed today is in my eyes is not the right approach.

He doesn't monitor the thread on a daily basis so often has to catch up. That's why we'll get bursts of neroden followed by silence. Over all the posting volume is not high.

Totally agree with @JRP3 : I believe most people feel that this thread is a 'catch all thread' and many times is hard to separate the 'wheat from the chaff'. I find that when Neroden posts I can often use his responses to get a summary of both and quickly weed out the important topics and the ones that just have little to no value.

I do not believe I am divulging any info that long timers don't know but I believe some medical issues keep him off the forum for days at a time periodically but he always finds time to read through all the 'chaff' for me and others and brings up much of the good posts made by others that he comments on.

<rant/off topic over>

Thanks for that. Why is this case taking so long to go to trial? Is it normal?

@Curt Renz : I just checked with a friend and former TMC poster about the trial/case. He says the 'wheels of justice' are moving slowly and the case has been moved from June 2019, then Sept 2019 and now to Feb 2020. ugh:(

Edit: He is a Michigan resident who actually helped Dairmuid with some fact finding

Um.. Really? You outright said that just a few minutes ago:
Hmmm … I said "likely" they have one dev branch. They could definitely have more than one branch, if they can manage the dependencies and retrofits. Doesn't change the basic idea.

As of May 4th they had a lot of updates to merge. Probably from a lot of different branches:

Who knows how far they have gotten on that.
Yes, who knows ?

It is likely (I definitely hope so) that the status in dev of various features is better than what we see in the hacked Tesla. It is possible that the hacked Tesla has code merged into main branch before the autonomy day on Apr 23rd, so ~ 3 months ago. How far has Tesla come in 3 months ?

On June 11th Musk said "not without any interventions". "Doesn't handle all intersections or turns". So, we can guess the state of City NOA quite well. My guess is it is still lower than the feature set or quality we see with Cruise/Waymo (which is how this conversation started). I'm definitely prepared to be surprised on the positive side, but won't be surprised if the quality/feature set is below what Waymo/Cruise has now, when Tesla releases the FC build to the fleet (except in one crucial way - Tesla's won't be so severely geo-fenced).

I.e. running Autopilot on HW2 cars is an ongoing development effort that the release of HW3-only FSD features is not going to obsolete. If they can squeeze red-light and stop sign detection into HW2 processing capacity then they'll happily add it. If it doesn't work out then those features might stay HW3-only.
I don't think AP will recognize and stop for stop lights etc. That will be FSD only. So, this reasoning on why they have thrown in the code that includes the entire feature set shown on autonomy day into production code is not very persuasive.

Earlier you wrote a lot of reasons why they shouldn't release FSD code to the entire fleet. That's not the point - the point is they have released the full feature set we saw in demo. Why ?

Could be something to do with shadow mode. This is actually a compelling case, if they are really using shadow mode to teach the NN. Without putting out the actual code & full NN - how can they train ? Or it could be just convenience … whatever the reason, they saw it fit to put the full feature set they showed on the demo day in production.