Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there’s legitimate concerns about Tesla and their cars is when I’d be nervous. But knowing how rare that is for the car to explode following a crash and the fact that 0 deaths have been associated with Tesla fires leads me to be ok with these one off instances.

I think one death has been fire related. From when a teenager rammed a concrete wall at ~100MPH. Though he likely would have died from injuries even if the fire didn't cause it.

I have no problem beliving money is beeing poured into stopping Tesla and other EVs from taking over.

This has happened before. With sugar and fat.

Where scientists realized that it's sugar that give people heart problems, cancers and many other illnesses. But Big Sugar bribed and paid off people so that the official line became that fat was making people ill. This started the unhealty trends of eating margarine and not butter, eating anything low fat. And camouflaging the tasteless foods we got with even more sugar.

There is a movie about this called something like The Big Sugar Conspiracy. Or maybe something similar since I cannot seem to find a link to it online.

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

And don't ever mention Taubes or Teicholz or you should be immediately discredited and shamed :eek:

It's interesting to note that someone on my LinkedIn posted/shared the Motortrend found here: 2020 Porsche Taycan Electric Car Review: Should Tesla be Worried? - MotorTrend

There's over 150 comments from a wide spectrum of people(my work history goes across many fields and my network is about 900 people with lots of different backgrounds and locations) Practically all of the comments range from "No, just no" to "The more competition, the better" to "Misleading headline ignores Tesla's 10 year headstart".

My point being, I didn't see a single comment with the tone or negativity that you find on a yahoo finance article(although even there comments are lot more even verses a year ago when it was just Tesla bashers) and especially Seeking Alpha. Not a single comment of "Tesla's going bankrupt" "Tesla's explode", etc...It's easy to think there's a ton of negativity for Tesla out there among the general consumer base but I find comments on places like LinkedIn, Facebook, etc... to be more genuine and accurate of the general publics perception of Tesla verses Twitter and Seeking Alpha. Still needs to be lots of education amongst the general public, but I think the effectiveness of FUD has been greatly diminished......mainly from Tesla just shipping more and more Tesla's

Also it shows on places like LinkedIn and Facebook, trolls/bashers/shorts are not able to have the influence they have a something a comments board or Twitter, where it's a free-for-all. Reading through the comments on that guys LinkedIn share/post is startling to see how much noise and negativity is missing.

Last edited:
View attachment 440828 shorts are ridiculous. Blocking any criticism of their comments in reply chains to Elon's tweets.

On this note, I’ve started reporting any tweets by the obvious shorts replying to Elon or Tesla giving off-topic criticisms/conspiracy theories for targeted harassment. On-topic ones I leave alone(even if I disagree with the statements, I see the value in allowing such discourse), but the likes of Jake Tiley, replying to tweets on other topics just to constantly call Musk a fraud or other such nonsense clearly are targeted harassment.

I believe he makes a pretty good argument for Model Y production starting in 2020 Q1.

I disagree. The arguments are pretty thin:

1. Two people giggling in the first row can pretty much mean anything. An inside joke perhaps, or something along the lines of "oh no, another Elon prediction"...

2. Cash flow positive except when launching new products is a very general statement.

3. Here's what Toni Sacconaghi has actually asked (emphasis mine):
Yes, thank you. I was wondering if you can comment about whether you felt that Q2 benefited from consumers in the U.S. sort of rushing out to buy Model 3 in advance of the declining federal tax credit, a phenomenon that you sort of saw in Q4. And part of the reason I ask is, at least by my analysis it looks like maybe 70% of the Model 3 sold in the quarter were in the U.S., which is sort of higher than your normalized percentage of U. S. sales. And so, do you feel that that phenomena may have occurred in Q2? And are you still confident that Q3 deliveries can improve sequentially? And beyond the data point that you provided on the call that the orders quarter data are better than last quarter, is there anything else you can point to that provides that confidence?

Everything that Elon says after that is in context to the disappearing federal tax credit.

I think we will set ourselves up for disappointment if we start to expect any significant Model Y ramp from Q1 2020. It's good enough if they are going to do what they are saying they will do. :)

They have to treat owners of 1 share the same as owners of thousands of shares. Administrative costs, mailing costs, and program costs (annual reports) go up in proportion to the total number of shareholders. It's not uncommon for public companies to offer to buy back shares of small shareholders to reduce the total number of shareholders.
What are you talking about? I own a bunch of shares and never cost them anything for "administration", never received any reports nor anything in the mail from Tesla related to my stock shares. What are you guys getting from them that costs them anything and what good does it do you?

How might Tesla even know who we are?

What are you talking about? I own a bunch of shares and never cost them anything for "administration", never received any reports nor anything in the mail from Tesla related to my stock shares. What are you guys getting from them that costs them anything and what good does it do you?

I received an invitation to vote on Elon's latest contract. Probably only costs them $1 but like they say, "a Benny saved is a Benny earned".

Reactions: mongo

Tesla is legally required to know who all their shareholders are. I don't receive paper mailings from any of the companies I am a shareholder in because I have selected electronic communication with my broker. But, before I did that, the volume of mailings from various companies was substantial. That's why so many companies routinely buy out very small shareholders. One company, TravelZoo, who I got 6 free shares from almost 20 years ago, recently did a 1 for 25 reverse split which was immediately followed by a 25 for 1 forward split. Combined with the rules allowing them to cash out owners of less than one share, this resulted in going from 90,000 shareholders to around 10,000 shareholders. It was done to save on the administrative costs of having so many shareholders.

I would suggest this is not the appropriate forum to continue to question how having hundreds of thousands of 1 share shareholders would impact Tesla's administrative costs as these are routinely recognized by many of the largest public companies. If interested, you can learn more about the TZOO reverse split/forward split here:
Travelzoo's Splitting Headache -- The Motley Fool

Your broker may have signed you up for paperless everything, but they should be sending you information on the board meetings, upcoming votes, etc. (Though some brokers sign everyone up for "default" proxy votes and don't even notify shareholders.)

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
I think we will set ourselves up for disappointment if we start to expect any significant Model Y ramp from Q1 2020. It's good enough if they are going to do what they are saying they will do. :)

It's good enough if Model Y ramps on time. It's even better if it ramps early. A lot better. :cool:

That's why any investor (or short-seller) must consider all possibilities.;)

Headlines are awfully misleading...

Tesla in Moscow crashes into tow truck while on Autopilot

Should be:

Driver in Moscow crashes into tow truck

No it should be: Nothing to report from Moscow (where there were probably 152 serious car crashes yesterday, with 7 fires and 3 explosions)

From the article I just posted regarding small shareholders, some companies give incentive for small shareholders to increase their holdings to a larger stake:

Ford gives 100-share investors access to its "X-Plan," allowing them to buy Ford vehicles for just a little above employee pricing.

With Ford trading at $9 and change, purchasers of Ford vehicles can eliminate the normal stealership haggling and probably save money by investing less than $1K in Ford stock before making a purchase.

Too bad they no longer have any products that interest me!