Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I see India has corporate tax reform on the table. This might make a Tesla factory more attractive:

India’s government delights businesses by slashing corporate tax

[...]

The current base rate for the largest companies is 30%. But surcharges push this above 35%, on top of which companies are taxed on the dividends they pay. The recipients of those dividends may have to pay yet more tax. Another levy was recently imposed on share buy-backs. The new base rate will be 22% (25.2% with surcharges). The buy-back tax has been lifted for some firms, but the dividend tax remains.

A new discounted rate of 15% (17.2% with surcharges) is supposed to attract manufacturers. That is better than the overall rate in any other large country, and nearly matches low-tax Singapore. The average for all firms in Asia, says Mr Gajaria, is 21%, and for the world 24%. Manufacturers who take the plunge in India will be unable to accept any other incentives, such as accelerated depreciation, credits for research and development, or perks that result from locating in a particular place.
However:

Tax is only one reason why India has failed to capture a windfall as supply chains shift away from China. Restrictive labour and land-acquisition laws hamper hiring and construction. Changing these would require state governments’ approval.​

Maybe Tesla could turn that problem around, by getting the states to compete for a gigafactory.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I see India has corporate tax reform on the table. This might make a Tesla factory more attractive:

India’s government delights businesses by slashing corporate tax

[...]

The current base rate for the largest companies is 30%. But surcharges push this above 35%, on top of which companies are taxed on the dividends they pay. The recipients of those dividends may have to pay yet more tax. Another levy was recently imposed on share buy-backs. The new base rate will be 22% (25.2% with surcharges). The buy-back tax has been lifted for some firms, but the dividend tax remains.

A new discounted rate of 15% (17.2% with surcharges) is supposed to attract manufacturers. That is better than the overall rate in any other large country, and nearly matches low-tax Singapore. The average for all firms in Asia, says Mr Gajaria, is 21%, and for the world 24%. Manufacturers who take the plunge in India will be unable to accept any other incentives, such as accelerated depreciation, credits for research and development, or perks that result from locating in a particular place.
However:

Tax is only one reason why India has failed to capture a windfall as supply chains shift away from China. Restrictive labour and land-acquisition laws hamper hiring and construction. Changing these would require state governments’ approval.​

Maybe Tesla could turn that problem around, by getting the states to compete for a gigafactory.

Oh Oh .. look like "Howdy Modi" ... taking a page out of Trump ;)

Reactions: UncaNed
I'm pretty certain Bill drives a Model S...
Try again - article is from last year
Screenshot_2019-09-26-13-02-43.png

If Tesla does hit 100k deliveries, what production do people think this corresponds to?
Perhaps around 18k S&X and 82k Model 3?

In Q2 Tesla produced 14.5k S&X and 72.5k Model 3. They likely finished Q2 with around 9k S&X inventory and 15k Model 3 inventory (including in-transit cars which they will no longer report separately)
I doubt Tesla had much room to further reduce inventory in Q3 (perhaps some reduction in China plus some S&X reduction as Ravens were delivered). I also haven't heard anything about Tesla reintroducing a second shift for S&X.

It looks like a large step up in production this quarter and given the high orders rate it seems production remains the bottleneck to sales.
S/X - 15k produced, 17k delivered
Model 3 - 80k produced, 83k delivered

Just guesses. They could build more S/X with some OT, but we'd have probably heard rumors of that. Model 3 production could be a few K higher, but I don't see 90k as a few have said.

Got a call today, I can pick up the car tomorrow.

Unfortunately now way I can make it to Munich tomorrow (appointments all day). So Saturday it is.

They are really doing their best to get the cars out the door. The inventory shown on Tesla.com for Germany is 17 Model 3 cars. Delivery estimate for new orders is still at November.

My updated Q3 delivery forecast: 100,001 cars. (The 1 is mine)

I am picking up my Model 3 tomorrow. Yeah..:-D

I dropped by Tesla Drammen today to sort out the finalpayment, and the store was packed to the brim.. at 16:42 - long lines with people picking up their cars, must have been 25 waiting in line/on the couches/hanging around..at least. And the parking lot was packed to the brim with cars to be delivered.

Mine is still in-transit they said (?) so a new shipment arrive at Drammen harbor tonight? Cutting it a little close I would say. I demand to get my car tomorrow. :-D

I'm pretty certain Bill drives a Model S...
Grendel posted on the TMC site back in 2015 that Maher said he drove a Tesla.

But, Maher is a comedian and he'll make jokes about almost anything if it gets a laugh, so I wouldn't be surprised if he made fun of Musk related stuff in the past as well.

Regardless, tomorrow's show may be interesting...

it's annoying because
1) i'm an investor, not a day-trading speculator
2) fake news should not have equal weight as real news.

I’ve learned from experience with TSLA that you need to have a long position and trade on swings to make money in this stock. Not a day trader myself, but I do take advantage of the opportunities presented by the market.