Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget Tesla's Delivery Number -- Here's the Number Investors Must Watch

Go Beyond Tesla's Delivery Number -- Here's the Number Investors Must Watch
"
Gross Margins

Here's the number inside the number. Tesla sold more of the lowered priced ($35,000) Model 3's than expected, at 79,600, versus Wall Street expectations of 78,500. The rest of the sales were the higher priced Model S's and X's, which go for $75,000 and $81,000 respectively. The higher-priced deliveries did not beat expectations.

With Tesla selling a heavier mix of the lower gross margin Model 3's, its gross margins will be hit. Tesla's gross margin is a key profitability metric investors constantly monitor, as it allows for more flexibility for operating and net profits.

The lower gross margin and the fact that Model S and X sales grew at negative rates year-over-year makes one analyst wonder about Tesla's path to consistent profitability. "Given the decelerating revenue growth in 2019 and ongoing gross margin pressure, we expect net losses to exceed the losses in 2018, placing more pressure on what we see as an already expensive valuation," Needham & Co. analyst Rajvindra Gill wrote in a note. Tesla's 2018 adjusted net loss was $1.33 per share. Analysts polled by FactSet do currently expect 2019 loss per share to be $4.20.

Earnings are on October 23, when investors will see Tesla's gross margin and net profit result. "

Explains the unusual SP drop.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/jmp-securities-downgrades-tesla-worried-this-may-be-a-demand-issue.html

JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha said in a note on Thursday: “To put it another way, yesterday’s announcement was the first time since covering the stock that we found ourselves wondering whether demand growth for TSLA’s cars might be leveling off.”

So Joseph Osha thinks demand growth for Tesla cars could be 'leveling off'. Apparently he is unaware that the Shanghai gigafactory is about to unleash massive new demand in China, or that Tesla will be introducing the Model Y next year. People pay good money for his research and he has less knowledge than even a casual Tesla observer.

He kinda forgot about the coming Model Y & not to mention remaining locations where M3 still hasn't launched.
Q1 2020, I think we will start seeing more info on MY, since Q1 is seasonal anyway.

Let's hope the recently spotted MY is a good sign.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This is so OT, but whatever. Had a dual motor M3 24hr test drive yesterday. It’s just not nearly as nice overall as my three year old MS. I don’t get why everyone says the 3 is better. It’s just not. The Raven is a far superior car. People just aren’t aware of what a great deal it is.
They are ALL great deals. The MS is “nicer” but I like that the 3 is smaller, simpler, more nimble, and is $50k less for the P.

Note also macros are again negative today, especially FAANG stocks. Another buying opportunity.

PSA: TSLA is a long term hold. I fail to see how you can lose money in the approx. 5 year timeframe. C'mon short-term investors, join the long-term camp. The water is warm :).

Yeah, sounds convincing, but:

upload_2019-10-3_16-28-58.png

Simply amazing to still be hearing demand worries when Tesla had 110,000 orders and growing exiting Q3 and heading into Q4 which is the strongest quarter of the year.

One thing being a Tesla investor has made me realize......I chose the wrong career. Man I should've been an analyst. Hardly do any research, get paid well, no liability for what I say, and on and on

So...are we going to be profitable for this Q3 or no? If yes, I see SP surging back up post earnings call. If we don't hit profit / break-even as Elon expected, then worried we will see lower. Ugh, I hate the SP for the past year while they are growing exponentially at the same time :(.

I don't blame Electrek in this case.
Maybe not this case. But if I was a short, near the end of December I might anonymously send Electrek a fake email “from Elon Musk” telling the troops that they have a real chance to deliver 125,000 cars if they just push a little harder.

I sure hope Fred is super-careful with anonymous sources...

Maybe not this case. But if I was a short, near the end of December I might anonymously send Electrek a fake email “from Elon Musk” telling the troops that they have a real chance to deliver 125,000 cars if they just push a little harder.

I sure hope Fred is super-careful with anonymous sources...

I don't think Fred goes by emails, he has boots on the ground and sources that can be trusted...
if it were this easy, I'm sure tslaq would have already tried.