Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very inspirational to see Minnesota's California-like Renewable Energy & EV Transportation push. The surge is growing. Hard to believe someone as 'bat guano' crazy as Michele Bachmann can be elected in MN

Dive Brief:

• Minnesota regulators on Monday stamped out manufacturing and petroleum groups' attempt to reverse approval of Xcel Energy's $25 million electric vehicle pilot program.

• The state's Public Utilities Commission (PUC) approved the program in July, and five large industrial groups, including oil groups Marathon Petroleum and Flint Hills Resources, filed a petition with the commission on Aug. 6 asking regulators to reconsider the decision.

• Those groups argued the commission did not have authority to regulate Xcel for behind-the-meter charging and raised general ratepayer concerns. EV and clean energy stakeholders were skeptical of the groups' involvement, noting that it may be the beginning of a longer fight between oil and electric power interests as EV adoption grows.
"Electric vehicles operating at 4 miles per kWh are 78% cheaper to fuel than the average gasoline-powered vehicle in the U.S., according to the Idaho National Laboratory. "

Minnesota shuts down oil, manufacturing groups' attempt to derail Xcel EV pilot

So much for that! Big sell order just dropped it down ~$257

Data point: My Sales Adviser contacted me yesterday. He knows I am hoping to time an M3 order to be delivered at the end of this quarter. Advised ordees for NA are taking up to 8 weeks right now.
Well, you heard they added 13k backorders this quarter, have you? No reason for them to get faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Also, it's strange to sell triple layer pearl white for free.

I think making Pearl White default was, beyond simplifying color management, also a "demand lever" that Tesla pulled to develop organic demand. It looks fantastic (it's the best color, in my totally not biased view), so it has indirect marketing advantages as well.

3D049CFC-9D37-4D26-96EC-58E29546CDF6.jpeg
Well the white paint has titanium in it !

I think making Pearl White default was, beyond simplifying color management, also a "demand lever" that Tesla pulled to develop organic demand. It looks fantastic (it's the best color, in my totally not biased view), so it has indirect marketing advantages as well.
Stands out more among regular black sedans.

Except for silver, which they discontinued.

It's not just cost. There's the "no getting into a car with some stranger". The potential for more reliable service (Uber sometimes never shows). The safety of a Tesla. The idea that your car is making money rather than just sitting around. If it works as planned, the reduction in overall car ownership.
No annoying driver to bug you (many don't like to chit chat), no body odor from random dirty guy, no weird music, and for me the biggest of all is no jerky driving. I traveled weekly for years, so many drivers make me nauseous by constantly hitting gas brake/gas brake. Uber is pretty fast in most places but robotaxis should reduce that time even further.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
Hard to believe someone as 'bat guano' crazy as Michele Bachmann can be elected in MN
Yes, Michele Bachmann made Jesse Ventura look like Arnold Swartzenegger Clint Eastwood Ronald Reagan I give up. ;)

But at least Arnold supports EVs, Tesla 3s, and Greta Thunberg (unlike some fossils).

EDIT: Big Boy're waking up now:
TSLA.gif

Tesla, Inc. Common Stock Real Time Stock Quotes
$258.27* +1.31 +0.50%

Reactions: Paracelsus
Success is defined by sales and putting butts in seats of BEVs correct?

Correct. Most of us would like to see other BEV manufacturers succeed in dramatic fashion. But they are only going to do it by putting out commercially viable vehicles that people WANT to buy (and CAN buy). You can predict the market will become bifurcated and that a substantial portion will forgo range and efficiency in lieu of an exterior shaped in a more "traditional" form and having a more "traditional" interior but until other makers are able to provide BEV's at prices and specs that people will buy in volume, it's just your claim that people actually want that. The market is the final judge of what people want.

My opinion is that the "traditional" inefficient shape you claim many people actually want is largely foisted on the public because cheap gas and the nature of how ICE's efficiency (inefficiency) curves work make it a viable option to ignore efficiency. While it's true that EPA rules have done a lot to encourage the adoption of more aerodynamic vehicles, the auto and oil companies were successful in getting them to exempt many types of vehicles (SUV's and trucks) from the fleet EPA averages. Thus we have the current situation, largely because the auto consumer is not composed primarily of sophisticated people who understand aerodynamics and economics. Specifically, the impact over time on a family's ability to save and become financially independent and doing it with a higher standard of living.

The nature of how an electric motors efficiency curve follows the power expended much more closely than ICE's makes aerodynamic inefficiencies stand out in a more obvious way. It is not covered up by the gross inefficiency of an ICE engine under very light loads. In contrast, an EV benefits hugely when it can travel at freeway speeds under very light loads. I'm sure the "average" consumer will remain relatively unsophisticated about aerodynamics and the impact on their personal finances over time but they will likely notice if they need to stop more often for a charge and if that charge takes more time. Because a BEV still needs to compete directly with ICE vehicles. Tesla gets this - I'm not sure other manufacturers do. And, so far, the market agrees with me.

But it doesn't stop at having to charge more often and for a longer time - the efficiency of a BEV affects the weight of the batteries required and, more importantly, the cost of the vehicle relative to its range.

It doesn't matter if YOU think they are inferior if actual customers are paying for non Tesla BEVs.

And therein lies the problem. Most of us would love to see every car on the road an electric car. But the competition is still cranking out millions of stinky gas cars and people are buying them. That's why it's so important for the EV's to be competitive with ICE in terms of cost and range.

None of the other Western Pure BEV companies have their product on the market yet. Tough to know what their success will be. Not asking for a pass. Said criticism of their strategy is fair. Delighting in their failures or perceived failures is stupid if you support Tesla's mission.

I think you are misreading valid criticism of EV's from other manufacturers as "delight in their failure". Most of us WANT them to succeed. But succeeding in the BEV market at this stage is like threading the needle through a very tiny eye. If your thread is all "fuzzy" it's not going to work. Everything has to line up correctly. So far, Tesla is the only manufacturer that has hit a formula that sells in volume. And a lot of that has to do with their high efficiency.

Maybe other manufacturers should take note rather than thinking they know better.

Again, Tesla can't manufacture all cars that will be purchased in the future and can't build every battery Gigafactory that will be needed to decarbonize the global economy. We should cheer on companies like Rivian and North Volt.

If they produce viable cars that sell in volume I'll cheer them on. But I'm not going to put lipstick on a pig and call it a "win". I certainly hope that part of Ford's plan of buying into Rivian and getting represented on their board of directors was not a strategy of delaying the transition away from their very profitable SUV and truck business. Because I WANT Rivian and other EV makers to succeed in a big way. But you need a desire to succeed in this business to make it happen.

Last edited:
No annoying driver to bug you (many don't like to chit chat), no body odor from random dirty guy, no weird music, and for me the biggest of all is no jerky driving. I traveled weekly for years, so many drivers make me nauseous by constantly hitting gas brake/gas brake. Uber is pretty fast in most places but robotaxis should reduce that time even further.
Since we're gonna talk about this right here....

There should be an infant/robotaxi variant of the the Model Y with a hose-washable rear interior. Rubberized seats, drain plugs in the floorboards. That's the only way I'm robotaxi-ing my new EV.

Reactions: SpaceCash