Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depreciation is working much harder on Tesla's competition, used BMW's, Volvo's, etc. While every new car takes a big hit when you drive it off the lot, Tesla's have been depreciating much more slowly than their gasoline and diesel counterparts.

And no need to apologize to Elon, obviously the products will not appreciate unless and until FSD is legal. No rational person misunderstood that obvious point.
I need to check again but my Model S took a pretty big hit after 2 years on KBB ... likely due to Model 3 cannibalization... but we can agree to disagree on this one ... Teslas are continually improving making older models less desirable... any way my experience is normal depreciation...not sure i agree with your statements on gasoline counterparts either my 2007 4 runner cost $30 K new and Kelly BB still has it a $10K 12 years later ... pickups and other SUVs are also holding value .... I am long TSLA but trying to be realistic ...this thread has some reality check ...After low ball offers by Carmax and Tesla, sold it myself - Huge Difference!

fire away !!!

However, the calls you sell that then end in the money results in losing shares that your intention is to hold for a long time. This can be stressful.

Tax implications aside, this should be no more stressful than watching the stock skyrocket while you’ve chosen to tie up your buying power with short puts rather than long shares. That is the equivalent scenario.

I see this argument for using a portion of your investment to trade in/out of said investment. But it never holds up to scrutiny. If the investment is so good, just put your swing trading money in there too. That way you don't have to settle for only capturing 70-90% of the capital appreciation when it really pops.

Or maybe you're worried that the stock won't go anywhere, that it'll just bounce up/down forever without really appreciating. Then I would suggest you're in the wrong investment or you have too much in an investment that is too speculative by your own analysis. In that case, take the money you have allocated to swing trading and put it into another stock. Or start a small business. But swing trading a company you believe to be a good long-term buy and hold just doesn't make a lot of sense. Particularly when you account for all the time and effort it takes. How much is your time worth?

This has something to do with bankroll management.

It is prudent to hold certain amount in cash. In today's wolrd, the interest on cash is negligible but at the same time, the cash hoard is significant to do something about it.

On top of that, it is sort of stupid with the current interest rate not taking out a portion of your house capital HELOC and invest. And I also have a line of credit from illiquid assets I own which all pool into a large cash pile. Yet you can just go long term risk on with these as some of these are demand loans. So selling short term puts has been great.

The other part is selling puts allows you to control tax events better. Since getring exercised in a short put means the purchase of stock. Whereas getting called in sold call means a sale of stock, generating a tax event. For those of us with core holdings in yhe $20 and $100. That capital gains tax can be large. Note that in canada, we can not designate which lot of stocks we are selling.

Nice fan made commercial:
Came across an article that I think may have some relation to what is happening and why this video exists.

A Conversation With A Conservative American About The Green New Deal | CleanTechnica

Actually, the more applicable one is the older one referenced from the one above:
Climate Change Deniers Are Getting Angrier, & Here's Why | CleanTechnica

This could potentially explain Supercharger ICE-ings, Coal Rolling, and scratches too.

I'm somewhat relieved to see that 70-80% of Republicans are not on the extreme positions.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
You are correct about what was said. But I and many others are expecting a surprise on the model Y. It is not needed as all batteries are still accounted for. Tesla will sell every 18650 car they can make.

Tesla has been building the Y line for some time , and now with some test cars coming out, I think we will see some cars in Q1. They will be trial production first and then maybe 1000 a week. These will be expensive variants and improve margins.

if this is all wrong it does not matter to me. I will continue to be long. It’s just “extra credit”. Tesla’s biggest struggle is to get more batteries.
Normally I don’t quote myself but, this aged well.

Looks like the tweet is just an embed link to their youtube:

There's an interesting blurb there about the front passenger airbag having a clever design to prevent/reduce occupant hitting the interior, which I had never heard of previously.
This has been discused somewhere... I remember reading it is designed to minimize contact with the screen.

Reactions: replicant
I'd love to read stories of these buy and hold millionaires, you know of any?
I bought 1000 shares of AAPL 18 years ago. Bought another 1000 shares about a year later. My broker kept calling me telling me I had too much AAPL since it kept going up no matter how many shorts kept saying Jobs was dying. Eventually I sold the second batch for about a $50-60,000 profit. What a stupid decision and I never take calls from the guy. Had I held on to that second 1000 shares I'd have twice as many millions as I have in AAPL now and be getting double the dividends. I'll ride TSLA as far as it will take me and I believe that will be further than AAPL. But I can afford to lose it all. No one should be investing in TSLA more than they can lose.

I really don't think this was an accident.

View attachment 466518

"Oh, gee, we just "accidentally" (really briefly) showed that we started crash testing Model Ys in September...." ;)

(Just to be sure though.... is that actually a Y? Looks rather 3-ish, although I'm terrible at telling them apart - apart from the chrome delete, which is easy to fake. But it explicitly says Model Y and has a recent date...)
Fourth digit of the VIN is a 3 so the Model is a 3, but 5th digit (body type) is E which is not currently defined nor is the 8th digit motor code of B.
Y may be classed as an 3 variant.
Edit: assuming the last digits are 457689, it is a valid VIN.
SmartSelect_20191015-183256_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I had one additional thought, Tesla is building a new crash test and QA centre at Kato Road... I'm not sure how that is progressing.
Where those Model Ys coming from, or going to Kato Rd?
Because for checking the consistency of paint coverage, all the same color is a good idea.

What the heck, everyone else is doing it :) *waves to the friendly smiling shorts*