Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morgan Stanley with Adam Jonas.
They’ll probably stop covering the TSLA stock, like Goldman Sachs* did. It’s the only way to get their head silently out of this and not being ridiculous. ;)

*GS-Style: It is one thing to keep a low price target. But if you’re lowering the price target more then once, with fictional arguments and then, when you’re finally proven wrong, you silently sneak out of the arena, instead of having the balls to accept your mistake, well that is a whole other story! I Wonder, why someone still give this institutions credit, or give them their hard earned money, if they’re not even following simple rules of good social behavior. Why would I expect, that they will treat me or my money with respect?

Well, Adam Jones could be a hero again if he moves his price target to $500 :D

Is it "basically an open field with some digging going on"? Linette Lopez wants to know.

Vincent on Twitter

How did you know :D
Not my pictures,, they were found on the local Tesla FB group
Lucid 1.jpg
Lucid 2.jpg

Latest NASDAQ short interest data just got released:
Code:
Date       TSLA shares short
10/31/2019 31,784,407
10/15/2019 37,186,793
 9/30/2019 36,058,919
 9/13/2019 38,883,688

On Oct 31 (when TSLA closed at $315) only about 5.3m shares were covered - which is a surprisingly slow rate of short covering 6 full trading days after Q3 earnings. Only 15% of the shorts covered on the jump from $254 to $315, 85% were still holding out.

From the $178 low in June this is a cumulative loss of 4.3 billion dollars in position value in just 5 months - that's going to hurt the trading power of the current shorts and reduce the influence they have on the stock price.

Ihor estimated 30.6m on October 31 - so his guess was off by about 1 million shares, but he got the magnitude of the move right.

I.e. the rally wasn't a short squeeze - 90%+ of the post Q3 buying was by new Tesla investors (!).

Personally I'm not unhappy that the Tesla shorts are this tenacious: may their journey be long, and may their losses be deep.

So on Oct 31 $314.92 X 31.8M = $10B short interest. Shorts didn't do enough covering to even reduce their exposure - it actually went up. On Oct 15 it was $257.89 X 37.2M = $9.6B short interest. It's probably around $11B now. It just keeps getting worse for the shorts.

SUVsTested.png

Norwegian business newspaper Finansavisen tested the current EV SUVs. Tesla Model X, Mercedes EQC, Jaguar i-Pace and Audi e-tron. Article is paywalled:

Source 1: Stortest: Nye Mercedes-Benz EQC møter konkurrentene for første gang | Finansavisen

Lots to choose between: The Mercedes-Benz EQC, Tesla Model X, Jaguar I-Pace and Audi e-tron electric cars are all appealing, but only one of them has the range you really want.

Consumption tests and sunday trips give some indication, but which EV should you get if you're not exceptionally patient, and at the same time appreciate the finer things in life?

Source 2: Some translation quotes stolen from Tesla Driver ‍♂️ on Twitter

Some people think Tesla interior quality is low, but they could not be more wrong. It has excellent materials ... feels futuristic and cool.

Audi e-tron: annoying sound of “noisy motors”, high consumption.

Jaguar i-Pace: charging issues, too much plastic, bad infotainment.

Mercedes EQC: EQC infotainment gives that Windows 98 feeling, at times so bad “... you want to punch it”.

Tesla Model X: not the most exciting ride feeling, but longest range, excellent infotainment, high quality interior, charging network. “Still the best purchase.”

Tesla (TSLA) short responds to Elon Musk’s invite with odd demands and side remarks

From the article:
Looking at Einhorn’s response, it appears that the TSLA short is not really taking an open-minded approach in responding to Musk’s letter. Instead, Einhorn seems to be doubling down on his allegations of fraud against Musk with his suggestion that the electric car maker’s finances don’t line up. With such a response, including snide, outdated references to GA4, it would not be very surprising if Tesla does not choose to go forward with Elon Musk’s initial invitation.

It just occurred to me a significant change in the car market that I feel pretty stupid about not realizing earlier (most of you I assume already knew this, but I haven’t seen it included here in black and white):

The premium EV car market should be substantially bigger than what the ICE Market is, due to the extra “premium feature” that is present in the EV space that isn’t present in the ICE market: range.

Now here I am not talking about the difference between a model 3 and a model S/X, but between the low end auto sector - under 30k new & used (that traditionally dominates the car industry from a volume & revenue metric) - and the premium 30k segment.

For instance I am one of the uncivilized masses that never ever considered buying a premium car, and in fact have always bought used cars (Japanese imports under $10k). I simply do not care about any of the extra premium features that have existed on ICE cars. I don't care about leather seats/trims and 0-60 performance, because in the end my el-cheapo lets me drive the same speed and distance around town (actually my el cheapo usually goes a bit further on a tank of gas than most premium larger engine cars). This behavior is repeated amongst all my friends and relatives, and its got nothing to do with financial means (we are all middle class or better - no one I know owns a car that was purchased new despite earning plenty)

However as our next purchase will be an EV (we are of course considering a Tesla) - there is a huge difference between a new/near new premium EV and a low end EV: one lets you drive 2-3x further on a charge than the other. THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I think the above scenario probably fits a 100 million+ times amongst other typical buyers around the world who will be foregoing the cheap end of the market and buying a premium EV that will cost 2-3x what they usually spend on a car.