Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I was expecting, but if the CyberTruck really is a good design like with the Model 3 then I think we can expect a sustained upwards trend over the following few months, as people digest it.

IMO there will be so many SP moving accomplishments in 2020 that "digestion" of the CyberTruck design won't rise above the noise floor of SP moving events.

Jeff Dahn works with Shirley Meng who works with Goodenough!
images
Well, we kinda know they are working on the stuff that is much better than today.

The question about battery investor day is the timing - are they going to tell us it will take them 2 years to build a new GF and make this live or that they are about to start manufacturing it.

Do they want to Osborne today's batteries? My hope is no. Although, if it's still far away, people would prob. buy what they have today. Anyway, it's better than what everybody else has.

Tesla supercharger ruled out as cause of N.J. fire

"A fire at a Wawa convenience store in New Jersey on Sunday afternoon was not caused by a Tesla supercharger; it arose from a nearby transformer, a local fire official said Tuesday.

Matthew Palmeiri, clerk for Parsippany-Troy Hills Fire Department District 5, told Automotive News that Jersey Central Power & Light representatives were on-site across the street when emergency responders arrived to the store on Sunday afternoon.

"No vehicles were involved; it wasn't the charging stations at all," Palmeiri said. "It was a separate on-site transformer that sends power from JCP&L to the charging stations ... Nothing to do really with the charging stations."

A report by CNBC on Monday linked the fire to the Tesla supercharger."

"A Tesla Supercharger station located at a Wawa convenience store ignited in Parsippany, New Jersey, CNBC confirmed after images of the fire were shared on social media."

Lora Kolodny and CNBC may face investor lawsuits over this. They claimed to have confirmed that a supercharger station ignited - which can easily be proven to have been a lie since no such fire happened at all. The lie about their confirmation caused a drop in the share price of around $5 - an $845 million loss for shareholders.

Well, we kinda know they are working on the stuff that is much better than today.

The question about battery investor day is the timing - are they going to tell us it will take them 2 years to build a new GF and make this live or that they are about to start manufacturing it.

Do they want to Osborne today's batteries? My hope is no. Although, if it's still far away, people would prob. buy what they have today. Anyway, it's better than what everybody else has.
Buy TSLA and all your wildest dream will come true*

From Elon (Q2 2019 earnings call):
"Yes, I think for Battery Day, we’re going to do a comprehensive review of cell chemistry, module and pack, architecture, and manufacturing plan that has a clear roadmap to a terawatt-hour per year. The time for this will probably is about six months like maybe February or March next year show and tell"
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/07/25/tesla-plans-massive-production-battery-cells-delays-unveiling/
Fred had better transcription than fool.com this time.

*not advice

Last edited:

From Elon:
"Yes, I think for Battery Day, we’re going to do a comprehensive review of cell chemistry, module and pack, architecture, and manufacturing plan that has a clear roadmap to a terawatt-hour per year. The time for this will probably is about six months like maybe February or March next year show and tell"
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/07/25/tesla-plans-massive-production-battery-cells-delays-unveiling/

*not advice
Still no extra clarity.
I understand the roadmap. But you don't know how many years to the final goal and when the first step will be done, i.e. when can you buy a car with the new battery.
Holding $TSLA is no question, buying cars is a bit of a question.

I think they are going to have a huge event Thursday.

Pickup truck reveal
Model Y starting production in a few weeks and specs are better then first announced.
More details on Berlin

Something else....?
...on that last note: supply of EV components (packs, powertrains, software for BMS, FSD, ,..) to German OEMs. I.e. not necessarily limited to VAG. :cool:

Still no extra clarity.
I understand the roadmap. But you don't know how many years to the final goal and when the first step will be done, i.e. when can you buy a car with the new battery.
Next year's car will be better than this year's, you can wait until 2200 :)

Still no extra clarity.

Pure speculation:
I'll go with both. They will show and tell about the equipment and processes they have on hand to enable 1TWh of production within the next year or two.

I don't foresee the battery itself as enabling a leap in vehicle performance, but rather a cost reduction (gross margin increase) due to fewer and/or cheaper cells and assorted housings/ manufacturing.

Cybertruck will have packs from the new line. That's the only benchmark I need. :)

Jeff Dahn works with Shirley Meng who works with Goodenough!
images

If this article is correct, then Tesla is working on a form of solid state battery.

Full Page Reload

"Is there such a thing as a battery whose capacity to store energy increases with age? One respected team of researchers say they have developed just such a technology. Controversy surrounds their claims, however, in part because thermodynamics might seem to demand that a battery only deteriorates over many charge-discharge cycles.

The researchers have a response for that critique and continue to publish peer-reviewed papers about this work. If such claims came from almost any other lab, they might be ignored and shunned by the broader community of battery researchers, the same way physicists turn their noses up at anything that smacks of a perpetual motion machine.

But this lab belongs to one of the most celebrated battery pioneers today—and one of the inventors of the lithium-ion battery itself. John Goodenough, who at 96 continues to research and publish like scientists one-third his age, last year joined with three co-authors in publishing a paper that grabbed headlines. (Spectrum had profiled him and his battery technology the year before, following an initial announcement about his group’s new glass battery.)

Goodenough and collaborators claimed they’d developed a non-flammable lithium battery (whose electrolyte was based on a glass powder) that had twice the energy density of traditional lithium-ion batteries. They also published a graph that showed an increase in capacity over more than 300 charge-discharge cycles. (This increase, however, pales in comparison to the cell's at least 23,000-cycle lifespan."

I don't foresee the battery itself as enabling a leap in vehicle performance, but rather a cost reduction (gross margin increase) due to fewer and/or cheaper cells and assorted housings/ manufacturing.
We saw Maxwell points on potential increase of energy density and 2x battery longevity (and all the talk about million mile batteries for robotaxis) - both of these are pretty important for performance and residuals.
It is possible that some goals are easier to achieve than others. For ex. dry electrode etc / new battery architecture to just make manufacturing cheaper happens first and the other points I mentioned planned as the next steps. Could be.
Whatever Gali speculates, he won't have the info on timing/roadmap, which are the real questions for the battery investor day.

From Elon (Q2 2019 earnings call):

*not advice

I would LOVE to hear your expectations as well as @KarenRei, @Fact Checking , @Doggydogworld , @Artful Dodger for what the powertrain revelations will be. I can conceive of battery improvements, that will be worthy of an event, but I am having trouble conceiving what the powertrain revelations will be that make that worthy of making a prime aspect of the event.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I would LOVE to hear your expectations as well as @KarenRei, @Fact Checking , @Doggydogworld , @Artful Dodger for what the powertrain revelations will be. I can conceive of battery improvements, that will be worthy of an event, but I am having trouble conceiving what the powertrain revelations will be that make that worthy of making a prime aspect of the event.
From the perspective of Tesla growth, battery performance improvements are not that important. Of course, scaling goes first.
From the consumer perspective, they are somewhat important.