Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: there's credible seeming leaks on Twitter reporting that a select group of Early Access testers has the HW3 City Streets driving code activated:

3rd Row Tesla on Twitter

"So the big surprise this week is this:

Even though only a select few Early Access users will have the code that actually stops the car enabled...

EVERYONE with Hardware 3 gets to see the full self driving visualization."​

Would be great to get another source that also states early beta users are in fact running code that does FSD and not just the visual cues. If it is true, I have a hard time seeing something not leaking before the end of next week.

Reactions: Fact Checking
Would be great to get another source that also states early beta users are in fact running code that does FSD and not just the visual cues. If it is true, I have a hard time seeing something not leaking before the end of next week.
For people speculating the significance of visualization VS. stopping. Perception is the key, path planning when you have good perception is order of magnitude easier.

Translate to English:
Stop sign/traffic light and other road user visualization means everything for FSD progress. Doing a actual stop and turn is piece of cake after that(relatively speaking)(to not offend path planning engineers).

These guys are never going to give up. Now they are convincing themselves that all this means is that Elon has more capital to raise before it all comes crashing down.

Screenshot_20191223-123400_Twitter.jpg

For people speculating the significance of visualization VS. stopping. Perception is the key, path planning when you have good perception is order of magnitude easier.

Translate to English:
Stop sign/traffic light and other road user visualization means everything for FSD progress. Doing a actual stop and turn is piece of cake after that(relatively speaking)(to not offend path planning engineers).
100%. If the car can see it, that's the important part.

If to believe @greentheonly on Twitter seems HW2.X is able to render the FSD visualization but Tesla decided to not enable it for that hardware. Is it to push more people to buy the FSD option and upgrade to HW3?

A little bit confused why whould Tesla would do that (if greentheonly is right of course). My Model 3 was built March 2019 (bought FSD at order time) and got HW2.5. Even if FSD is still many months away, having the visualization is still a nice thing to have in the mean time!

I'm pretty sure @verygreen is wrong here: Elon disclosed it last year that the NoA neural nets already utilize about 80% of HW2"s GPU capacity.

Traffic cones were a HW3-only feature, I believe they were the test run for this week's "FSD sneak preview", which is uploading the new, large networks to HW3.

It was estimated end of last year by @jimmy_d that the new, much larger FSD networks could run on HW2 at around one FPS only. There's no way they could be run on HW2.

If Tesla was running stop sign and traffic light networks on HW2 then it must have been down-scaled versions to collect training data. Down-scaled networks would "work" on HW2, but with a far too high error rate. They are good enough to collect initial training data, but the networks would have to switch to HW3 before they are reliable enough to make actual driving decisions.

@verygreen is also basically assuming that Tesla is intentionally reducing their test coverage by switching to HW3, which is nonsensical on its face - why would Tesla do that?

This is very interesting. As someone who've lived in several different cultures and visited 1/4 of the countries in the world. It never occurred to me that people see these differences as weaknesses. Is this the norm?
I do not consider myself an expert on thus subject. I have lived in 16 countries and have graduate work in cultural anthropology among other things, so I do have opinions. That said, it seems to me that attitudes of ascribing inferiority to cultural differences are very common. Those seem to me to be inversely related to education and exposure. The tend to be directly related to doctrinaire religious and/or political views.

This issue relates directly to TSLA because adoption of new innovative technologies and science has the same set of correlations. Thus it is axiomatic that Tesla customers are better educated and more accepting of cultural differences than is the general populace. Specifically Tesla customers are almost universally technophiles.

To the extent that all this is valid Tesla might well thrive indefinitely without conventional advertising simply because the customer base has such strong affinity that promotion is largely by what was called “word of mouth” in pre-internet days, but now is majority through social media.

Traditionalists, of course, view lack of traditional advertising as a sign of weakness. We, as TSLA investors, generally know that to be a sign of strength.

so why this 422 stopover?
I believe there was furious capping today at $422 because after $420 there is no obvious psychological resistance point until $500.

Psychologically, once the SP goes over $422, the battle for $420 ends and the battle for $425 begins. It would have been much harder to bring the SP today back below 420 if it had convincingly risen past $422.

Step back and look at a one-month chart, and the longs are winning the entire war big time. BUT, it has still been a relatively organized (albeit relentless) retreat by the shorts. If TSLA blew past $422 in the same morning it leaped up and over the last major resistance, it may have triggered a very disorganized retreat this afternoon.

The day, however, ain’t over.

Tomorrow, the shorts may have to retreat further, but they might still be able to do so in a reasonably controlled manner.

Wow if true:

Pabst Street Capital Management on Twitter

"We believe the first Model Y vehicles ready for sale to the public have already been produced in Fremont, and we will see mass production begin very soon."

"Possibly this week or next!"
"$TSLA"

"To clarify - we don’t know the schedule! But our information points to sooner than we all expect."

"Answers to Questions:
We believe an initial run is possible this week or next even if it is not sustained until GA5 comes on line."

"We believe Tesla has ceased producing for Q4 sales and operations have changed accordingly."

"We could be wrong!"​