Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep selling small pieces of my position on every major move up (which has been almost every other day in the last few weeks). I'm not doing that for the purpose of having dry powder when the SP goes lower, but to put the cash into safer investments.

TSLA is an amazing investment opportunity, but it is undeniably a risky asset. To me, the goal of investing is to make outsize returns on risky investment, and then convert those returns into safe assets.

Here are two things that couldn't be more obvious: 1) No single investment stays positive forever. 2) It's near impossible to time the top.

Given that, I think the prudent thing to do is not try to time the top, but rather take small pieces off the table as the investment rises.

I've been doing this for 30 years, folks, and there is only one thing I can say for certain: I have never regretted selling part of my winning position even when the SP continues to rise substantially, as long as I still have a significant stake to enjoy the ride. But I have deeply regretted the times when I failed to take some money off the table, and watched my entire winnings evaporate in front of my eyes.

Not advice, but this is what works for me.

Do you think the people buying pizzas with Bitcoin in 2011 regret it?

Anyway, I think rather than looking at your investments through the lens of how they psychologically make you feel, you should look at them mathematically and try to calculate the expected value, then marry it to your risk profile. Personally I am taking a lot more risk on TSLA than I would otherwise because of the extremely high EV I am predicting.

Also I regret profit taking at 330.

Last edited:
Why do some people buy very low strikes?
They are not getting any leverage for their money, but get a ton of risk compared to shares.
See the top and bottom.

These are 1/22s that still have 2 years to run.
Screenshot_20191226-095122_Firstrade.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed
i'm done trying to game the timing of the market. in the short term, it's too irrational and unpredictable, and too influenced by day-to-day inanities. where my vision is clearest, is in the long term: Tesla has positioned itself as an unstoppable juggernaut that's going to change the world and practically own the future. but the monthly or quarterly specifics of when -- let alone the "when" of when Wall Street is going to accept what's going on -- are impossible for me to determine. So i hold, and i wait. fundamentally, it makes more sense to me to make long term bets i have near-100% confidence in than to make a bunch of (let's face it) hunch-based, relatively low-confidence bets in the short term.
I think it's worth noting also, what to do with money you take as profit? The market is at all time highs, and we will hit a recession at some point. I could take some Tesla profit and stick it into index funds, only to see a 30% contraction in 6 months.

They are not getting any leverage for their money, but get a ton of risk compared to shares.
See the top and bottom.
View attachment 492952
I think those sales are generally part of larger bundles where you are buying calls and puts with the thought that the stock will stay in the same narrow range, or you expect it to go either way up or down but aren't sure. (Strangles, iron condors?) I'm sure one of our resident experts will chime in with a correction/clarification on that though.

I believe the next buying opportunity due to a stock drop will happen the first week of 2020 after the production and delivery stats come out. I think it will rise on the PD stats but then people will do some profit-taking in the new tax year with the next big rise coming after financial statement release at the end of January.

Definitely not advice...

But, in the end, I think it is up to each investor how they feel about their investments. Their individual situation, their goals.

I think that's exactly it since we have all taken a different level of risk. Use of Margin and percentage of assets at risk make some even more affected by the volatility.

I took a lot less risk since my shares are paid with cash and I have only put in a certain amount of funds that I am willing to lose. It's easier for me to stay the course and see how these quarters develop.

Reactions: Rb48888 and humbaba
That doesn't address the amount of FSD revenue that accrues each quarter from each quarter's sales. It's a moving target.

I also don't understand your usage of the word "accrue" in that sentence.

Accounting terminology can be a bit complicated especially since many terms are similar but not the same (expense, provision, reserve, accrual, deferral, etc.). This post if meant for non-finance members (finance members please skip)

To keep this post brief, I will cover only 2 of the terms that are very relevant to Tesla: Deferred Revenue and Reserve.
I will use the following example:
When Tesla sells an automobile for $57k ($50k base and $7k FSD) they have to defer the revenue on the FSD until earned and also record a reserve for warranty expenses (lets say $0.5k)

Here would be the entries:
FSD Deferral:
Debit Revenues $7,000 (reduces revenue on the income statement)
Credit Deferred Revenue $7,000 (a balance sheet account)

Once the FSD is earned, the entry above (or a portion) is reversed (Revenue goes up and balance sheet account goes down)

Warranty Provision
Debit Warranty Provision $500 (increases expenses on the income statement)
Credit Warranty Reserve $500 (a balance sheet account).

When this particular vehicle incurs warranty service, the expense does not go to the income statement but rather gets deducted from the Warranty Reserve that was set up when the vehicle was originally sold.

Summary:
Reserves
are usually expenses that have been recognized but not yet paid.
Deferred Revenues are usually revenues that have been collected but not yet earned.
Both sit on the Balance Sheet as credits.

When discussing the upside potential of FSD, we are discussing when the FSD Deferred Revenue will get released; however, if you say instead "when the accrual gets released" you're not technically right but it is understood.

I've been doing this for 30 years, folks, and there is only one thing I can say for certain: I have never regretted selling part of my winning position even when the SP continues to rise substantially, as long as I still have a significant stake to enjoy the ride. But I have deeply regretted the times when I failed to take some money off the table, and watched my entire winnings evaporate in front of my eyes.

I find this hard to believe. I sold about 5% of my TSLA last week at 400, and I already regret it. Maybe I'm just greedy. o_O

See the top and bottom.
View attachment 492952
Most of these would be someone happy to 'buy to close' their position matching with someone who doesn't have the money to exercise their option so they are selling it.

See the top and bottom.

These are 1/22s that still have 2 years to run.
View attachment 492952
A better question is, "Why would you NOT buy low strike LEAPs (vs buying shares)?"

The Jan 2022 $100 LEAPS sell at virtually no time premium. Their price will rise and fall dollar-for-dollar with the shares. If the shares have a major decline, the LEAPS will decline LESS (in dollars)!

What's not to like?