Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is will the RWD version be capable of much more than 250kW? The tri-motor design will easily be capable of 500kW since it is going to use two packs that are stacked. (According to MotorTrend.)

But where will it get that? Supercharger V4? Megacharger stalls used for the Tesla Semi? (Makes sense especially if you are towing in the Cybertruck.)

A double-thickness pack is not "two packs that are stacked". That would entirely double the pack mass. A double-thickness pack has two cells, one on top of the other - or alternatively, a larger format (taller) cell, and saves significant mass over two physical stacked packs.

As for why S/X is very unlikely to have double the capacity (let alone range).

1) S/X is not designed for that volume of cells. It'll be hard enough to fit in any more capacity, let alone double.
2) It's not designed for that weight. The last thing they want to have to do is reengineer the structure.
3) It'd reduce the number of cars Tesla can make by consuming twice as many cells
4) The incremental amount of sales increase would not justify #3. S/X already dominate the range market dramatically vs. the "competition".
5) As already mentioned, higher-end vehicles need to have higher stats to justify their higher prices. What's the point of the Roadster if you're basically giving S Plaid the Roadster's stats? Why would people pay $250k for it when they can get the same thing but with a lot more room for half the price?
6) Is S Plaid supposed to just stagnate for the next several years? No? So it's going to be even more range than the Roadster for half the price?
7) It's totally out of line with the historic rate of range improvement in Teslas.

It's pure wishful thinking. Just like the endless droning for the past three years about the "imminent 2170 S/X release". I had to spend years in this endless game of whack-a-mole against the wishful thinking crowd insisting that nobody should buy an S/X because it'd soon be obsolete due to some 2170 S/X superpack. Years of needless suppression of S/X sales. Is this going to be the new wishful thinking game now?

Yes, Plaid is now finally getting a new pack next summer.
No, it's not going to have 500 miles range and charge at 500kW. Sorry. That car will only exist in your dreams, at least for the next several years.

Plaid is a track-optimized version of S/X. That's all it's ever been presented as. It has A) a new 3-motor powertrain and B) a pack architecture designed for better cooling, along with C) fascia/radiator changes for better cooling, D) fascia changes for the wider tires, and E) some sort of spoiler / wing system in the rear (which I expect to most likely be retractable, otherwise it'll ruin the highway energy consumption).

Everything else is just people pushing their wishes into it.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, so the last column is the cost of the gamble, about $1000 total?

Could return bigtime in case of a short squeeze, or bad Q4 earnings.

The 2nd to last column is the number of shares or contracts. Thus the options cost:
$194.98 x 300 = $58,494.00
+ $279.00 x 70 = $19,530.00
+ $596.40 x 30 = $17,892.00
+ 274.85 x 40 = $10,994.00

Total option cost = $106,910.00, not a small bet.

Haven’t seen this yet - Tesla supposedly notifying Semi reservation holders that they intend to deliver a limited number of Semis this year.

Third Row Podcast on Twitter

Interesting. Tesla had said in the Q3 update that they were going to start limited production this year, but I assumed they were going to use it all themselves. This makes me think that they are going to produce more than I expected if they are going to start actually selling some to multiple companies.

But that also means that they will need to probably put in more Megachargers and only sell where there is Megacharger coverage for the routes or where they are going to be used with on-site charging.

Haven’t seen this yet - Tesla supposedly notifying Semi reservation holders that they intend to deliver a limited number of Semis this year.

Third Row Podcast on Twitter
That’s delicious intel - big if true!

To save you all a click - Tesla is pushing Test semis through tough real world conditions and finalizing charging standard.

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark and EinSV
I'm glad we can at least assume SOME semi production this year. Its getting kind of embarrassing that right now tesla have...
Model Y
Roadster 2
Semi
Cybertruck
Solar Tiles...
And you cant really have any of them yet. Plus they talked about betting the company on robotaxis...and we still dont have FSD yet either, even in a limited sense.
I do strongly believe in all of these products (especially the semi & solar)...but as investor I do really want to see items on that list crossed off as being actively in mass production. Tesla need to continue on this recent trend of delivering on promises.
I'll be noticeable happier as an investor when model Ys are being produced in the tens of thousands, and at least a few real customers have semi trucks and solar roofs... :D

I'm glad we can at least assume SOME semi production this year. Its getting kind of embarrassing that right now tesla have...
Model Y
Roadster 2
Semi
Cybertruck
Solar Tiles...
And you cant really have any of them yet. Plus they talked about betting the company on robotaxis...and we still dont have FSD yet either, even in a limited sense.
I do strongly believe in all of these products (especially the semi & solar)...but as investor I do really want to see items on that list crossed off as being actively in mass production. Tesla need to continue on this recent trend of delivering on promises.
I'll be noticeable happier as an investor when model Ys are being produced in the tens of thousands, and at least a few real customers have semi trucks and solar roofs... :D

You can get solar tiles now, at least in limited markets, and possibly with a waiting list. You'll be able to get Model Y soon (albeit with somewhat of a wait list early on). Semi, end of the year. Cybertruck was just announced. The only one that to me "still feels late" and which I'd like to see more movement on is the Roadster. I know it's not much of a cash cow for Tesla, but it'll be a serious prestige project and be a hard-to-overcome halo car. Halo effects boost your downmarket product lines.

Model Y
Roadster 2
Semi
Cybertruck
Solar Tiles...

My expectation is that Solar roof, FSD, Model Y and the Semi will be ticked off the list in 2020. That will make it a pretty fantastic year. If I can buy a Y (in the UK) with FSD late this year or early 2021 and a solar roof (in the UK) in 2021 I will be extremely happy :)

Model Y
Roadster 2
Semi
Cybertruck
Solar Tiles...

"Betting the company on robotaxis." Who said that? Elon sure didn't. In fact, he specifically stated he would never again bet the company, like he did with Model 3. I agree with your sentiment that it would be nice to see all these promising products reach market soon, but please stick to the facts.