Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking in tslaq twitter thread and found this:

Addition of Software Specially Designed To Automate the Analysis of Geospatial Imagery to the Export Control Classification Number 0Y521 Series

- this *may* affect FSD software being exported to other countries.

SUMMARY:
In this interim final rule, the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) amends the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) to make certain items subject to the EAR and to impose a license requirement for the export and reexport of those items to all destinations, except Canada. Specifically, this rule classifies software specially designed to automate the analysis of geospatial imagery, as specified, under the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) 0Y521 series, specifically under ECCN 0D521. BIS adds this item to the 0Y521 series of ECCNs upon a determination by the Department of Commerce, with the concurrence of the Departments of Defense and State, and other agencies as appropriate, that the items warrant control for export because the items may provide a significant military or intelligence advantage to the United States or because foreign policy reasons justify control, pursuant to the ECCN 0Y521 series procedures.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Its not clear what exactly you are saying. Can you give an example of what Tesla might do in 2020 that will reduce profitability - in 2020 ?
To repeat 100% of R&D and any new project that has either no revenue yet, or the revenue do not yet cover expenses outside of Capex. e.g development of cybertruck and many things we have no clue about yet, and some we will have any clue about.

At least he doesn't have an MBA...
One of the most financially sucessesful people I know was a fellow grad student in physics. After completing his M.S. in Physics he went back to a different university to get an MBA. He recently donated 1M$ to our university. The most I've ever donated was ~2000$.

To repeat 100% of R&D and any new project that has either no revenue yet, or the revenue do not yet cover expenses outside of Capex. e.g development of cybertruck and many things we have no clue about yet, and some we will have any clue about.
Tesla R&D has been flat over last 7 quarters.

I'm not even sure what the discussion is about anymore.

One of the most financially sucessesful people I know was a fellow grad student in physics. After completing his M.S. in Physics he went back to a different university to get an MBA. He recently donated 1M$ to our university. The most I've ever donated was ~2000$.
That's a good use of an MBA... it's actually meant for people who got a bachelor's in a non business field. My point was it probably would have been a waste for someone like Elon whose degree in econ would have given him a lot of the generalities he would have learned through an MBA. If one does get a BA in business and goes on to take an MBA, it's best to get it from a different University with new professors as you learn much of the same matjerial from other perspectives.

17M Goal Post is the entire US Market.

Not Ford. Ford US sales 2,422,698

BMW Group USA: 360,918 | Up 1.8%

Mercedes-Benz USA: 357,729 | Up 1.0%

Audi USA: 224,111 | Up 0.4%

Jaguar Land Rover USA: 125,787 | Up 3.0%

Volvo USA: 108,234 | Up 10.2%

Porsche USA: 61,568 | Up 7.6%

Other than Hyundai and Honda the Major OEMs were down in the USA.

It is funny to me that whatever the numbers are some want to interpret as utter doom for traditional brands.

2019 Sales analysis for multiple mfgs: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b.../2803321001/?utm_source=AMP&utm_medium=UpNext

fleet sales still over 20% for many companies....

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax and Yuri_G

There was a guy running a successful ponzi scheme down in Bermuda or someplace with lax securities laws. He donated a lot of money to children's charities, schools, Red Cross, etc.

It doesn't make ponzi schemes good. :rolleyes:

Bernie Madoff was also known as a large charitable giver. I guess I'm not seeing your point.

I was just in Fort Lauderdale and was surprised how there were very few solar installs and Tesla's. We still have a long way to go.

lol. You didn’t look real hard.

Tesla is VERY popular in SE FL. (Dania beach sales/service center has been there for many years). Solar less so particularly since major hurricanes hit frequently and that worries homeowners. However, power companies are building numerous solar farms.

• Informative
$17 EPS in the near future is extremely unlikely. This is not the way Musk operates. When the current operation starts to print money Tesla will use that money to start new products, features that initially will take time to become profitable. You should read the secret plan. it is not to make money as fast as possible, but to advance sustainable transportation, etc. Being profitable is important, some programs being very profitable is also important to help starting projects. This will not be a dividend play as long as Musk is the CEO.
I like this. I think if SP picks up some and media starts seeing Tesla for what it is, profitability can be shoved in the place where light doesn't shine and instead we can be building 3x new factories at a time. Borrow more money as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JusRelax and BBone
Tesla R&D has been flat over last 7 quarters.

I'm not even sure what the discussion is about anymore.
Amazing what happens when you don’t need a new transmission, engine and 100’s of other complex engine components for every new vehicle. One battery pack for SX, one pack for 3&Y, common cells for all new cars. Same motors for new cars and the semi. All focus on common components and new car, battery motor and AP and FSD Improvements. Laser wipers make all cars better. An improved 6 speed transmission may only be used in one or two of 20+ cars in GMs portfolio.

Like to see people focusing on learning to learn doing well. Isn’t there a physics major running a car company we follow?

Was looking in tslaq twitter thread and found this:

Addition of Software Specially Designed To Automate the Analysis of Geospatial Imagery to the Export Control Classification Number 0Y521 Series

- this *may* affect FSD software being exported to other countries.
No.1 Geospatial imagery “software” “specially designed” for training a Deep Convolutional Neural Network to automate the analysis of geospatial imagery and point clouds,

Looks like the software for training the nn can not be exported and that a trained nn is not effected.