Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you waiting for? Sell. I’m certainly not going to tell you otherwise, I’m still sitting on my shares from 2012 and not selling now. I got 7 islands, 2 yachts, a CYBRTRCK and Roadster to buy. Also now 7 drag strips to build.

At least @Lycanthrope is building my walls for me.
@Lycanthrope is building secret entrances through the walls. I’ll always be basking on one of your islands that you’re not.

What is important is to maximize profits. Buying a stock at a good price, missing a sell point and having to wait a year for it to rise again is a poor way to make money. I bought at several prices including on the way down (about what I thought might be bottom and I was about right). Now all my purchases are well up, as I said about 75% which is more like 80% now. I can capture profit now with larger tax payments or take the risk of the price dropping and waiting another quarter to be able to take advantage of long term capital gains tax rates. Even if Q4 and Q1 sales and profit numbers are good, unless they are great (which I think will be unlikely) the bubble can't continue.

OK, it sounds like you know exactly how to play this.

It makes me wonder why you were asking for advice in the first place since you're so good at this game. :rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know how it goes.;)

We can't predict what will happen on a narrow short term basis. If you're really that freaked out about FUD, take some money off the table. At least you'll be able to sleep at night. You have to do what's right for you. We can't decide.

Not sure why you think I'm "freaked out" and I never asked you to decide anything. I pointed out the decision I need to make. My concerns are,

1) Q4 profit numbers
2) Q1 quarter results, production and profit
3) anything else that might tank the stock in the next 5 months.

Not likely, but something could happen in China that would stop or slow production. Even if it has little impact on anything real, the stock price would likely drop a lot.

Musk could get back on twitter saying something incredibly stupid... well, maybe not. He wouldn't do that, would he?

It only would take one quarter of lower model 3 deliveries and the world will panic that demand for the model 3 is dropping with commensurate stock price drop. That one is a real concern. For me it would take three or more quarters of lower deliveries to believe model 3 demand is slowing which may just happen when the Y comes out. But that won't be by the end of May. :)

Not sure why you think I'm "freaked out" and I never asked you to decide anything. I pointed out the decision I need to make. My concerns are,

1) Q4 profit numbers
2) Q1 quarter results, production and profit
3) anything else that might tank the stock in the next 5 months.

Not likely, but something could happen in China that would stop or slow production. Even if it has little impact on anything real, the stock price would likely drop a lot.

Musk could get back on twitter saying something incredibly stupid... well, maybe not. He wouldn't do that, would he?

It only would take one quarter of lower model 3 deliveries and the world will panic that demand for the model 3 is dropping with commensurate stock price drop. That one is a real concern. For me it would take three or more quarters of lower deliveries to believe model 3 demand is slowing which may just happen when the Y comes out. But that won't be by the end of May. :)
Sorry your short now

So I saw that Claudia Assis had penned an article and as she is always good at finding the cloud of a sliver lining I had to take a look.

Claudia Assis said:
Tesla’s stock rally got a boost last week when the company reported above-expectations fourth-quarter deliveries, its proxy for sales.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-after-deliveries-top-expectations-2020-01-03
That is a strange thing to say and, given her coverage of Tesla, she knows what this means. By using "proxy" she is weakening perception of the strong sales had during the fourth quarter.

But that is the best she could muster. The closer must have really hurt. It wasn't that long ago that she was able to point out that $TSLA's gain was less than the others.

Claudia Assis said:
Tesla shares gained 37% in the past 12 months, compared with advances of 27% and 22% for the S&P 500 index SPX, -0.12% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average. DJIA, -0.25%

Even reliable negative coverage is having a hard time. It is not only investor sentiment that has improved.