Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla pays $700 million in interest annually? That does not sound right. Can someone with more knowledge than me correct or clarify this?

Just go look at the financial statements, it is right there under “Interest Expense” - was $685 million for 2019 year.

With a $775 million 2019 annual loss, the company was essentially almost breakeven, within $90 million, by GAAP standards if we could exclude interest payments.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tim S
Frankly when I see the drawing a while ago I thought its a nice concept but many tried so why should Tesla be able to solve it with not theist track record in manufacturing.

How many people/companies tried to solve reusable rockets and said it wasn't possible? Elon throws the conventional wisdom out the window and just gets things done. So if anyone was going to make the casting work I would think it would be Elon/Tesla. Partly because he is willing to take risks that other people won't. (Some people say failure isn't an option, but the director where I work, not Tesla, says that failure is necessary because if we don't have at least some failures we aren't trying/advancing hard/fast enough.)

Last edited:
Love the thumbnail:

Throughout my life I have run freely under the radar of self-inflicted smarty pants. Am I brilliant, no, I just kept my eye on the ball every time I was or am T-Boned by the smarty-pants. That’s why I have a small footprint, and being height challenged.

What’s the name of that Tesla Short Expert? Shame on US?;)

Hell, in high school I could not spell the numbers or know where to put the zeros that surround me. But the view out over this lake, even in the rain, is exactly where I wanted to end up despite opposing views.:D

The car sells itself ~ period, end of story. Little boys, will buy the big old boys vehicles, until the little boy figures out he can attract the girl of his dreams with a CyberTruck. No difference than taking a puppy for a walk in the park.

The Tesla story is only just beginning; do you have the vision?:cool:

How many people/companies tried to solve reusable rockets and said it wasn't possible? Elon throws the conventional wisdom out the window and just gets things done. So if anyone was going to make the casting work I would think it would be Elon/Tesla. Partly because he is willing to take risks that other people won't. (Some people day failure isn't an option, but the director where I work, not Tesla, says that failure is necessary because if we don't have at least some failures we aren't trying/advancing hard/fast enough.)
Yeah, that “failure is not an option” has evolved into some kind of perceived universal truth when in fact it applied to a very narrow circumstance (get the Apollo 13 crew home or they will die).

Failure IS an option if the negative consequences are outweighed by the value of the lessons learned.

Yeah, that “failure is not an option” has evolved into some kind of perceived universal truth when in fact it applied to a very narrow circumstance (get the Apollo 13 crew home or they will die).

Failure IS an option if the negative consequences are outweighed by the value of the lessons learned.
Unless you are in one of the more "normal" large corporations, in which case it's very important to your career to not make any mistakes.

Is Gordon Johnson insane? After watching a couple of clips he seems very ...um...insane.
Classic spewing of "fact's" and stringing together many statistics in a oddly confrontational manner.

I think he needs help.

No, I think he is beyond help.
When he claims Tesla has cancelled Supercharging network nation-wide...
oh boy, delusional does not even begin to cut it.

Last edited:
High-pressure die-casting is a very high run-rate process (40 per hour per machine for a larger casting is not unusual) and is frequently used in automotive production: transmission case castings, instrument panel beams, etc. Unless you use the high-vacuum variant of the process, though, you end up squirting molten aluminum at 10,000 psi into the air trapped in the mold, and you end up with oxides and well-distributed porosity. It's the latter that makes the part non-weldable and non-heat-treatable. The parts typically would be made offline, either in a separate building or at a supplier, and trimmed and cleaned before they were brought in for body assembly in this case.

I would expect the high vacuum type. Porosity is hard to control and, unless there is some foamed plastic analogy that puts all the porosity on some neutral axis, risky for a million mile vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Just listened to IBD live

https://research.investors.com/ibdlive/

Key take always

up 9 weeks in a row
This is what we see in some of the monster stock moves coming off their first base, after this long consolidation

mike w
Only 13 % above its 10 day moving average which is reasonable

don’t get excited , it’s likely to form a high tight flag

but I still think it’s early on in its move

Take a look at AAXN to see what moves it might make and be ready for those pullbacks

H

In 1 week, we'll see how it spreads outside China.

On the flight back I transited through Korea. Several ppl from China were on board and many other nationals. Almost 1 out of 4 ppl were sneezing and coughing.

Looks like foreigners had a big panic and everyone who has cold like symptons were trying to get out before all of asia gets quarantined.

When I landed, there was no screening at all. The west seems to treat this like a joke.

The rest of this post are just my own opinion on how this will eventually play out. When the dust settles, the ones that will come out relatively unscathed are the ones who took a hard stance right away. Countries afraid to block all flights from china in fear of affecting tourism will suffer. So far, the one surprising fact is that the virus spread to Germany first and UK has no case.