Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t sell yourself short. ..
I agree with your original sentiment, Tesla is the least risky stock in my portfolio, and it’s because I understand the company and enough of the competitive environment to roughly know its growth trajectory.
I am not very modest about my investment ability, but... I'm now entering my sixth decade as an active investor. I have made enough mistakes to be very aware of what I know and do not know. Thus, my investment process is painfully deliberate, but I rarely trade. After seminars with both Warren Buffet and Myron Scholes I suppose there is no doubt where I ended. OTOH, single seminars don't really do much other than allow for name dropping. That said, I'd be a fool were I to suggest that those were not exceedingly influential to my thought process.

Elon said retail investors knew the company better than did institutional analysts. He did not actually say we knew the company well. At this point I would not sell a share but I certainly will if the dip continues a bit more.

Well, that should have tripped the -10% curcuit breaker "uptick rule" @ $798.35

So, should be no more short selling allowed today and tomorrow. But Friday its back to shortcity...

I need to point out that this is not totally accurate. Maybe you know this, but shorting is still allowed, but only on upticks (hence "uptick rule")

In other words, you can only short TSLA if the previous trade was at least a penny higher than the trade before that.

So, one thing I noticed when looking at the max pain data: that nest of $900 weekly puts.

...I'm wondering if those things got exercised this morning. Seems like the kind of thing that would happen, and there's some scenarios where shares could be sold in response to the exercise.

Of course, also, the calls crashing in value probably caused changes in delta hedges, too, which accelerated the decline...

Thinking the FOMO investors and the weaker longs don't understand the uptick rule and are panic selling. Sadly many of them just lost money if they were getting in yesterday.
Today is precisely to shake out those last minute buyers who were finally convinced to buy yesterday.... But volume is also pretty high.. I think there's some shorting for sure.... ppl also don't want to miss the boat on the downside (if you're not a true long). Maybe safe to test the waters that this is a healthy pullback for continued climbing. BUT I wouldn't blow your entire load.

Allright. Looks like short squeeze is over. We are operating on non short shares market.
As an aside from today's market action (a correction which I think we all knew was inevitable at some point), and since I've been greatly disappointed with the terribly uninformative way in which the various coronavirus data pages have presented the information, I decided to generate my own graphs trying to get a sense of how effective the containment efforts for the virus have been - that is, new cases by location on each day.

View attachment 508144

Caveat 1: I had to remove all "zero" values because the vast majority of them were cases where a particular data source didn't update between datasets. But it's possible that in some of the low incidence rate areas, there were legitimate cases of zero new cases diagnosed that the graph leaves out.

Caveat 2: These graphs plot total cases, but cases per capita might be a more informative metric.

It's really clear from this how much this is very much a "Wuhan coronavirus" problem at present, and how China has effectively - thusfar at least - managed to contain it in that province (Hubei). It's tried to break out in Zhejiang and Guangdong, but each time the number of cases has gone back down.

That said, they clearly have a lot of work ahead of them in Hubei. I imagine that they're probably focused on compartmentalizing the province and trying to clear it section by section. I also imagine that they'll probably start letting life get back to normal in other provinces, but dialing the pressure back up whenever / wherever an outbreak springs up - compartmentalization rather than broad, sweeping actions.

Just my take, from looking at the data.

(For what it matters: Shanghai borders Zhejiang and Jiangxi)

ED: I just thought of a good way to deal with the "zero problem" listed in the caveats above - rather than plotting datapoints as they're reported, I'm going to plot them relative to time. Will take a few minutes.

It's probably the one thing I am eyeing the most.

It is still too early to tell how it plays out outside of Hubei.

Especially in other countries. USA and Canada has basically no screening. So testing isn't done to ppl who've never been to hubei.

In the few international cases we've seen, it is confirmed that asymptomatic transmission is possible for 2 weeks to the point of recovery. (or very mild symptoms) and then sudden onset of pulmonary failure requiring Intensive care.

Many cases of non chinese transfereing to non chinese starting, so This new batch should be showing up in the next two weeks.

Korea, Japan are the two countries to watch as they have excellent health care but still allow Chinese tourist. Taiwan is a good example of a country that doesn't accomodate China tourist and excellent healthcare. These are the paranoid asian countries who remembers SARS and the whole country is wearing masks.

Thailand is probably going to be hard hit but with excellent health care and being the cointry with most Chinese tourists. Philipines is too mindful of face to China to announce cases. Already 1 death wtf?

IMO, the worriesome ones are India and Africa. They have trouble just diagnosing the thing.

As for China, prepared for detected cases to increase expone tially as a new test kit with volume production is finally in place. 3000 was the max they could do due to shortagea of kit and manpower.

All indicators points to the fact that just being in an enclosed space like a taxi with a transmitter or airplane will get you infected. A cruise ship in Japan test 10/35 infected with ~200 more to go. The RO rate in developed country with active tracimg seems much higher than what china is publishing.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting data! Is this data/source validated?

Interesting to see on the Robintrack that there are many more less interesting stocks with much more users holding shares.

...I'm just a user? I think you might want to ask the fine folks that made the dashboard and api at Robinhood than a random member of the TSLA investor forum. My 2 cents. Thanks!

Look forward to hearing back on what feedback you get!

Today is precisely to shake out those last minute buyers who were finally convinced to buy yesterday.... But volume is also pretty high.. I think there's some shorting for sure.... ppl also don't want to miss the boat on the downside (if you're not a true long). Maybe safe to test the waters that this is a healthy pullback for continued climbing. BUT I wouldn't blow your entire load.
Now you tell me! I just may have prematurely blown my whole load!:)

Allright. Looks like short squeeze is over. We are operating on non short shares market.
TBH, I'm not convinced.

There was plenty of short sale activity reported yesterday, and the manipulations looked like classic short manipulations. I think they deflated a bull run (at least temporarily!), rather than getting forced out.