Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could we not simply orchestrate the inverse? Anyone up for some TMC coordinated manipulation, it's certainly not something the SEC is concerned about!

Seriously, don't we have access to enough media outlets? Cobble together $500k for a coordinated options buying attack of some sort followed by "Gigafactory 6!" and "700k guidance for 2020!" articles?

Perhaps I'll start a thread where we can brainstorm....
The Shortsellers Enrichment Community may feel like acting on that :oops:. Also buying 500k in options doesn't do anything to the SP. The moves you saw had billions of dollars worth of options bought over hundreds of spreads and dates. Apparently 250M in 2 minutes can move the stock though.

I've made similar charts but I have changed my viewpoint since learning from the gurus here that ~ in the 10 -15 million range short stocks are part of a hedge. It also helps to set the scales to a fractional change (percent, e.g) to gain a fairer perspective how how teslaq type shorts (straight gamble that TSLA will drop in value) have responded to the share price increase.

It is a lot more rational than we usually give them credit for. Which is not saying much, I admit.
Change the scales how you want. My point is the data and its easier to post a picture than construct a table. That was a pretty lazy picture, too.

What I think is relevant is the trend in net shares shorted, which is steadily dropping, but not fast enough to keep the value at risk from growing to points it has never reached before. The snapshots don't give any detail so we can't prove that the drop was instigated by manipulative shorting (presumably Andrew Left as he announced it, probably to give more weight to the fear he was trying to instill in longs).

I guess the one other point is this: as long as people insist on referring to S3's "data" I'll continue to post about the real short interest and how his data does not match at particularly important points where people would be the most likely to lean on it. I can't speak to the value of S3's service for other stocks, but for $TSLA it is dangerous.

I've got 35 @ ~225 average that I'm not selling until 10k [maybe]
I'm looking to pick up more to bring it to 50.

Based on everything I'm reading above it looks like this is not only just a dip but an artificial one at best.

Of course it's hard to time these things and I'm super long so it doesn't matter anyway, but, when should I buy this week? Before you laugh at me my more detailed question is, for the experts here, when do these things expire that we should expire the low point due to manipulation. Papafox said something about buying the last 20 minutes on Friday. Does this make sense? I'm such a n00b but I'm slowing learnings thanks to you all.

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene
I think you mean the numbers of options at various prices that expire on a given day. The experts may chime in but my understanding is that if there is a big chunk of calls at say 800 that expire that week and SP is somewhere in that range, the sellers can save money by selling enough shares to drive the price below that number so the options expire as worthless.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
I guess the problem is that a lot of people really actual believe that the electric car business is doomed. Not the future...

Tesla need to prove results over time, that’s the only way. Unless they do that the short will look only more tempting as long as the stock price keep climbing.

That the future is going to be primarily electric vehicles, and sooner than most people think, has already been shown to be true. Some people will never believe it even as the ratio of EV's to ICE sold passes 50%.

This is similar to the year 2000 when it had already been shown to be true that high CO2 levels cause the atmosphere to retain more heat and thus warm up. But even today we have, what, roughly half who don't believe humans are the primary cause of global warming.

"capping" is all the shortzes can do today due to the "uptick rule" still being in effect until end of day. Tomorrow, its shorting as usual.

So you would expect the stock to take a hit tomorrow?

Sorry I've learned a lot in the past few days but still only know enough to get myself into danger or say something stupid. :)

Reactions: Eugene Ash
So you would expect the stock to take a hit tomorrow?

Sorry I've learned a lot in the past few days but still only know enough to get myself into danger or say something stupid. :)
There are competing interests. MMs want to minimize their payout for Options expiries, but we have no visibility into what that number will be, and it may be different for various MMs. Then the Shortzes just want lower no matter what. Longs want lower too! if they're buying, they'll wait for higher prices later to sell.

But expect even more volatility tomorrow w/o the "uptick rule".

Could we not simply orchestrate the inverse? Anyone up for some TMC coordinated manipulation, it's certainly not something the SEC is concerned about!

Oh, no. The SEC would be all over that! Because that would threaten the world they are a part of.

They don't call them the "Shortseller's Enrichment Commission" for nothing!