Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you actually look at the end to end numbers you will find EVs are not much more efficient than ICE when the entire process from end to end is considered.

Again, you are wrong, if you look at proper peer reviewed well-to-wheel energy efficiency studies then even "worst-case" 100% coal powered EVs are far more efficient and produce far less local pollution than gasoline cars.

(A very short summary is that coal plants are, in essence, high efficiency (50-60% energy efficient depending on technology) steam engines with excellent thermodynamics, and average electricity transmission and EV drive train losses are more than counteracted by the 10% regenerative braking claw-back, while the crude oil extraction, transportation and refinery process combined with an inefficient ICE engine alone is less than 20% energy efficient even for econocars - and less than 10% energy efficient in performance ICE vehicles such as Porsches that Tesla is displacing.)

This is a simple scientific fact that has been rehashed here numerous times already, if you want to dispute it please take it to other forums.

Last edited:
This is a very uncommon gap up today. I'm playing the Monday gap up, but this time it was not up in Frankfurt the hour before premarket opens and it was up from the very beginning.

I typical Monday gap up starts in Frankfurt. Not sure what this means.

I was monitoring both Frankfurt (FWB) and Xetra (XETR) since they opened, and there was a partial gap-up on Frankfurt already from the $745 Nasdaq after-market closing price on Friday, to around $755 - a +1.3% increase.

So European investors probably already suspected that TSLA sentiment is possibly going to be positive today, but (which is the typical multi-year pattern) they under-estimated the magnitude of the move. Volume was low to average, just a couple of thousand shares.

Also note that the Nasdaq open coincided with improvement in macros by about +0.3%, which helped the rise. The first ticks on Nasdaq pre-market trading were around $755, very close to where Frankfurt and Xetra was at that point.

Then there was a big wave of buying and TSLA rose together with macros, but there is a distinct TSLA-bullish component (+5%) which goes well beyond the macro improvement.

There was no gap-up if you look at the raw Nasdaq data: the ticks were mostly continuous from $755 to ~$785, but it is strong buying pressure that might be misinterpreted as a gap-up when looking at coarse data sources such as the Yahoo Finance pre-market data feed.

My interpretation is that investors were waiting for the Nasdaq pre-market to open to make their move, both in a TSLA-bullish and macro-bullish fashion. Trading too early on European exchanges needlessly slips the price up due to low TSLA liquidity there - which is generally not the intention of bigger investors.

But yes, I agree that this is looking pretty bullish so far: and what is impressive is that all this TSLA price action occurred outside the busiest ~2.5 hours of Nasdaq pre-market trading, 80k shares traded in the first two hours of Nasdaq pre-market trading counts as high volume. Most of the pre-market liquidity will reach TSLA only in about an hour (7am ET).

Last edited:
That's wrong, I was monitoring both Frankfurt (FWB) and Xetra (XETR) since they opened, and there was a partial gap-up on Frankfurt already from the $745 Nasdaq after-market closing price on Friday, to around $755 - a +1.3% increase.

So European traders already suspected that TSLA sentiment is possibly going to be positive today, but (which is the typical multi-year pattern) they under-estimated the magnitude of the move. Volume was low to average, just a couple of thousand shares.

Also note that the Nasdaq open coincided with improvement in macros by about +0.3%, which helped the rise. The first ticks on Nasdaq pre-market trading were around $755, very close to where Frankfurt and Xetra was at that point.

Then there was a big wave of buying and TSLA rose together with macros, but there is a distinct TSLA-bullish component (+5%) which goes well beyond the macro improvement.

There was no gap-up if you look at the raw Nasdaq data: the ticks were mostly continuous from $755 to ~$785, but it is strong buying pressure that might be misinterpreted as a gap-up when looking at coarse data sources such as the Yahoo Finance pre-market data feed.

My interpretation is that investors were waiting for the Nasdaq pre-market to open to make their move, both in a TSLA-bullish and macro-bullish fashion. Trading too early on European exchanges needlessly slips the price up due to low TSLA liquidity there - which is generally not the intention of bigger investors.

But yes, I agree that this is looking pretty bullish so far: and what is impressive is that all this TSLA price action occurred outside the busiest ~2.5 hours of Nasdaq pre-market trading, 80k shares traded in the first two hours of Nasdaq pre-market trading counts as high volume. Most of the pre-market liquidity will reach TSLA only in about an hour (7am ET).

It's always dangerous to make large moves on Frankfurt regardless. It's a low-volume market, and trader sentiments are not necessarily reflective of the broader market.

Can somebody give me a list of the top 10 contributors of this forum (People who are very knowledgeable about Tesla/TSLA) The rest of the people on this forum I'm going to ignore. I don't want to waste my time going through pages with no helpful/useful information. Thanks
Sorry dude, that's the way it works around here. You want the @KarenRei and @Fact Checking types...you have to wade through the smart a**es like me. Builds character. LOL!

Dan

On Friday I was thinking about playing a weekly call this week. Ultimately decided not to. Kind of regretting that now, but one thing I noticed that I found very interesting was that both last week and this week there is a relatively large block of $900 puts expiring. I’m wondering if both last week and this week, if market makers who sold those puts are moving the market up early in the week, buying to close those put options they sold, then pushing the price back down?

If we do a repeat of last week (above $900 then quick drop back down), I’m going to be very suspicious that those $900 puts are a big factor.

We're back to the 8xx!

back to 800.jpg

Let's see whether we can go through it even faster this time. Last time was about 4.5 hours worth of pre-market trading iirc? So if we're at $900 by 11AM, we'll have beaten last time.

On Friday I was thinking about playing a weekly call this week. Ultimately decided not to. Kind of regretting that now, but one thing I noticed that I found very interesting was that both last week and this week there is a relatively large block of $900 puts expiring. I’m wondering if both last week and this week, if market makers who sold those puts are moving the market up early in the week, buying to close those put options they sold, then pushing the price back down?

If we do a repeat of last week (above $900 then quick drop back down), I’m going to be very suspicious that those $900 puts are a big factor.

See my options open interest analysis post here: this week's "put barrier" is significantly weaker than last week's, and the number of open calls IMO isn't that high either to trigger existential angst at the hedge funds and investment banks who wrote them - so the ... criminal energy to risk market manipulation might be lower this week.

Furthermore, this week is a "minor" expiry week, it's neither a monthly option nor a LEAP expiry. So like in most of the previous "minor" weeks this year the MM's might go with the delta flow: the resulting delta hedging expense was probably already paid for by the significantly elevated put and call premiums - may the price go where investors want it to go.

Not advice though. :D

Furthermore, this week is a "minor" expiry week, it's neither a monthly option nor a LEAP expiry.

Last week wasn't either of these either though. Do we know what open interest was at the start of last week? Is it possible that a bunch of people buying options on Monday will make it another massive expiry week? Would this be nullified by MMs having learned from their mistake and pricing options higher this time?

See my options open interest analysis post here: this week's "put barrier" is significantly weaker than last week's, and the number of open calls IMO isn't that high either to trigger existential angst at the hedge funds and investment banks who wrote them - so the ... criminal energy to risk market manipulation might be lower this week.

Furthermore, this week is a "minor" expiry week, it's neither a monthly option nor a LEAP expiry. So like in most of the previous "minor" weeks this year the MM's might go with the delta flow: the resulting delta hedging expense was probably already paid for by the significantly elevated put and call premiums - may the price go where investors want it to go.

Not advice though. :D

Thanks. I think I had missed your other post.

Despite the number of options being significantly smaller than last week, there is still a lot of money at play. I think the thesis may still hold, although perhaps not as dramatically as last week.