Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1:
  • Fremont 3 production: Probably somewhat higher than Q4. But they're probably no longer putting that much effort into squeezing more out of it. Maybe several thousand more than Q4. Possile ameliorating factor: Chinese supplier disruptions. During the Q4 earnings call, Tesla said that they didn't think they would have disruptions affect Fremont, but they needed to monitor the situation.
  • Fremont 3 deliveries: Relative to how accurately Tesla determined its need for market expansions and pricing this quarter. As an example of doing this poorly, see Q1 of last year, where they had already had to do two price cuts by this point in time (this quarter: zero). Inventory levels will adjust relative to how effectively they allocated vehicles and assessed local demand by model variant. Q4 did an exceptionally good job at running down inventory; this is unlikely to recur, and thus thus deliveries will probably lag production by thousands of vehicles (say, 7k or so, plus or minus thousands in either direction). The effects of the inventory drawdown can already be seen in the late RO-RO shipping start, where Q4 started shipping cars that were built in Q3, but in Q4 Fremont was building US cars for customers to pick up right at the factory on the last day. (Note that RO-RO is only part of international shipping and does not reflect destinations that use containers)
  • Fremont S/X production and deliveries: harder to say. Production and demand has been steadily growing every quarter after its initial cannibalization by the 3, but Q1 is a low, which is usually a bigger factor. But Q4 had to push off a lot of S&X to Q1 just like they had to with the 3. But they also need to rebuild inventory. I'd put it down a few thousand deliveries.
  • Fremont Y deliveries: Insert your own numbers. Don't make them large. Probably insignificant. Initial margins middling or negative, but improving rapidly in Q2.
  • Shanghai 3 production and deliveries: I've long estimated 5-20k, with a median scenario around 8-9k, accounting for the Lunar New Year, but not accounting for 2019-nCoV. The latter caused a 1-week full shutdown, and non-local workers are quarantined for up to 14 additional days, determining on when they arrived back in Shanghai. Local suppliers are also likewise effected. But that said, all parts and manufacturing steps are not equally bottlenecked. E.g. if some part from the US can make up for a local bottleneck, it might be partly ameliorating. Overall, I'd reduce the above numbers to say, 4-17k with a median of 7k or so. Margins should be positive, but lower than Fremont.
Factset consensus is a non-GAAP EPS of 0,8, vs Q4 of 2,14; the market expects a rather weak, but still slightly profitable, Q1. Production in excess of deliveries will hurt FCF but not profit.
Limiting factor for Model 3 + Y production is the Giga Nevada battery production.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
@Papafox

Looking back at the past week, your analysis was outstanding. The last week rise was due in most part by technical buying by shorts and delta edging but also by FOMO. The proof: a "normal" short or delta edging squeeze ends with a drop as important as the rise, or close to. The stabilization around $770 prouves that FOMO was an important factor.

As "Intl Professor", I played the last peak and re-enter at $730. I was going to wait that it drops further but my long position on Tesla won over my FOF. I don't have the guts yet to play the Friday to Monday recurring patterns.

Thank you so much Papafox for sharing so much relevant information.

Looking at the weekly options for the remainder of February, it looks like all of the strike prices (both calls and puts) that are close to ATM (+/- $50) are down significantly today while the stock price is relatively flat. Is there a particular reason for this? Or is this a normal adjustment to premiums after earnings and the large increase that occurred at the start of last week.

it's an IV crush

Judging by all the people who announced they were exiting TSLA at $550-$650 levels, I must assume there are a lot of people in the same position, hoping Tesla will go down so they can get back in.

Shame the stock wasn't low for most of 2019 so that people could have bought in then. Oh wait...

Please not. I have some cash left and I am counting on the Friday morning sales!
Don't count on Friday being down. If you want to buy more stock, do so. While no one knows the future, the price on Friday is not likely to be appreciably less than it is now and it could be appreciably more. There were people who were "waiting for the drop" at $500 and they're still waiting...

If you don't want to pay current prices for whatever reason, that's fine. For example, I decided I was too heavy on $TSLA and put money elsewhere. If the shorts/MM/whoever knock the price down far enough it will become a deal that is too good to resist and I'll sell the other and buy more $TSLA. But, for me, they'll have to reach for a nice big discount and I'm not really expecting it. (It helps that this is in an IRA so I don't have to worry about taxes on short term trades.)

In short, trying to time the market is foolish: if you want $TSLA buy $TSLA. Being flexible with your assets is fine, but keep in your mind that holding it as cash is an implicit belief that doing so will provide higher returns -- but your post seems to lack conviction in that regard.

From the article: "...it was decided to increase the existing environmental bonus for pure electric cars with a net list price of less than 40,000 euros from 4,000 to 6,000 euros – with a net list price of up to 65,000 euros, 5,000 euros will still be subsidised."

This language is confusing. The Model 3 starts at €44,390 in Germany, so does it qualify for a €5000 subsidy? Did that subsidy - for cars with prices between €40k and €65k - go up, or stayed the same?

Q1:
  • Fremont 3 production: Probably somewhat higher than Q4. But they're probably no longer putting that much effort into squeezing more out of it. Maybe several thousand more than Q4. Possile ameliorating factor: Chinese supplier disruptions. During the Q4 earnings call, Tesla said that they didn't think they would have disruptions affect Fremont, but they needed to monitor the situation.
  • Fremont 3 deliveries: Relative to how accurately Tesla determined its need for market expansions and pricing this quarter. As an example of doing this poorly, see Q1 of last year, where they had already had to do two price cuts by this point in time (this quarter: zero). Inventory levels will adjust relative to how effectively they allocated vehicles and assessed local demand by model variant. Q4 did an exceptionally good job at running down inventory; this is unlikely to recur, and thus deliveries will probably lag production by thousands of vehicles (say, 7k or so, plus or minus thousands in either direction). The effects of the inventory drawdown can already be seen in the late RO-RO shipping start, where Q4 started shipping cars that were built in Q3, but in Q4 Fremont was building US cars for customers to pick up right at the factory on the last day. (Note that RO-RO is only part of international shipping and does not reflect destinations that use containers)
  • Fremont S/X production and deliveries: harder to say. Production and demand has been steadily growing every quarter after its initial cannibalization by the 3, but Q1 is a low, which is usually a bigger factor. But Q4 had to push off a lot of S&X to Q1 just like they had to with the 3. But they also need to rebuild inventory. I'd put it down a few thousand deliveries.
  • Fremont Y deliveries: Insert your own numbers. Don't make them large. Probably insignificant. Initial margins middling or negative, but improving rapidly in Q2.
  • Shanghai 3 production and deliveries: I've long estimated 5-20k, with a median scenario around 8-9k, accounting for the Lunar New Year, but not accounting for 2019-nCoV. The latter caused a 1-week full shutdown, and non-local workers are quarantined for up to 14 additional days, determining on when they arrived back in Shanghai. Local suppliers are also likewise effected. But that said, all parts and manufacturing steps are not equally bottlenecked. E.g. if some part from the US can make up for a local bottleneck, it might be partly ameliorating. Overall, I'd reduce the above numbers to say, 4-17k with a median of 7k or so. Margins should be positive, but lower than Fremont.
Factset consensus is a non-GAAP EPS of 0,8, vs Q4 of 2,14; the market expects a rather weak, but still slightly profitable, Q1. Production in excess of deliveries will hurt FCF but not profit.
One of the things to watch for me will be February delivery numbers in Europe. Our working theory last year was, that the Netherlands were sucking up a huge chunk of production allocated for this continent, but once the year ends, Dutch deliveries will scale back, but the rest of the market will pick up the extra production capacity available. Shorts were saying, that once Dutch deliveries are done, European sales will collapse.

Moment of truth coming soon.

I had assume the IV crush would have come immediately after earnings, and that the continued high premiums was a result of continued volatility with increased volume...

Was anyone expecting this to happen this week? Did anyone sell options (puts) to capture the drop?

There actually was a mild IV crush for the two days after the earnings, and then rose dramatically as the stock price skyrocketed the beginning of last week:

upload_2020-2-11_9-19-31.png

Right now, we still aren't even at pre-Q4 earnings IV levels yet.

One of the things to watch for me will be February delivery numbers in Europe. Our working theory last year was, that the Netherlands were sucking up a huge chunk of production allocated for this continent, but once the year ends, Dutch deliveries will scale back, but the rest of the market will pick up the extra production capacity available. Shorts were saying, that once Dutch deliveries are done, European sales will collapse.

** With respect to ships that have gotten there. Remember that the inventory depletion of Q4 was reflected in a later shipping start this quarter.

Last edited:
(Note that RO-RO is only part of international shipping and does not reflect destinations that use containers)

Do you have an update to the RO-RO quarterly ship count chart you recently posted perhaps - is the 10 times late start relative to Q4 still present?

Fremont S/X production and deliveries: harder to say. Production and demand has been steadily growing every quarter after its initial cannibalization by the 3, but Q1 is a low, which is usually a bigger factor. But Q4 had to push off a lot of S&X to Q1 just like they had to with the 3. But they also need to rebuild inventory. I'd put it down a few thousand deliveries.

The interesting part here is that new U.S. orders of the Model S/X are currently marked as "Estimated Delivery: 5-7 weeks" - IIRC this was down to 3-4 weeks a year ago. While this might be inaccurate, as the website delivery estimates usually are, combined with the lack of price cuts this suggests the Q1 order book is "fine" for the Model S/X as well.

I also presume that Porsche's decision to delay the disclosure of their abysmal Taycan EPA range to the very last minute, and their lame attempts to PR it away disappointed a significant percentage of Taycan pre-order customers, who might be choosing a Raven now. There's very few rational reasons to buy the much more expensive yet less capable Taycan over a Model S.

Finally, the very nice Tesla ads during the Superbowl might have created additional demand. Compared to Q1 last year there's a lot less economic uncertainty in the U.S., consumer sentiment is decidedly optimistic.

Shanghai 3 production and deliveries: I've long estimated 5-20k, with a median scenario around 8-9k, accounting for the Lunar New Year, but not accounting for 2019-nCoV. The latter caused a 1-week full shutdown, and non-local workers are quarantined for up to 14 additional days, determining on when they arrived back in Shanghai. Local suppliers are also likewise effected. But that said, all parts and manufacturing steps are not equally bottlenecked. E.g. if some part from the US can make up for a local bottleneck, it might be partly ameliorating. Overall, I'd reduce the above numbers to say, 4-17k with a median of 7k or so. Margins should be positive, but lower than Fremont.

There's an interesting detail in Shanghai, the Shanghai government thought it important to single out LG Chem's factory with an exemption to resume work on February 10 already, to supply GF3 with battery cells:

It would be odd for GF3 and LG Chem both to restart work - just to be hampered by other, more trivial elements of the local supply chain.

I'd also guess that most of the GF3 parts supply is still external to China: in Q4 they announced the planned the localization of the supply chain, implying that this has not happened yet. Also, I wouldn't expect suppliers to go away - they'd simply expand their China production with a local supply chain - without upsetting the Fremont supply chain.

I.e. Tesla's exposure to "deep inland China" supply chains might be less severe than feared.

Last edited:

OOOOOH!!!
source.gif

There actually was a mild IV crush for the two days after the earnings, and then rose dramatically as the stock price skyrocketed the beginning of last week:

View attachment 510193

Right now, we still aren't even at pre-Q4 earnings IV levels yet.

Today there was a significant IV crush of most 02/14 options chains though - especially the $1,000 and higher lottery tickets lost about 80% of their value compared to the close yesterday, which went way beyond the accelerated theta decay these are normally exposed to.

I.e. we might be seeing a return to more normal implied volatility levels.

Last edited: