Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will continue to buy as I did yeasterday. The lower it gets the more I can buy. The minifutures I bought on the way up have been washed out, I must admit. Optionswise still in the green with realised gains. I have to admit that I struggled initially with buying at these prices and thus rising my average entry point of below 200. Will continue to be interesting... GLTA

Could CV be the catalyst that sends ICE manufacturers into bankruptcy? Many were posting losses before the virus tanked sales numbers. Coronavirus causes Moody's to slash global vehicle sales forecast for 2020

I think it's a bit soon for bankruptcy, Ford, GM, and Chrysler hemorrhaged money for a while in before they threw in the towel (Ford scraped by) Also, many of these companies are too big to fail national champions, so they will get government assistance.

It may be the case though soon that Tesla becomes the *only* profitable major carmaker.

Earlier this month, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley sold shares of TSLA at $767. We watched how the stock price ran up to 800 then 804 and stayed there while the transactions were wrapped up. Those big dogs showed what their trading departments can do when they set out to make money.

Now Morgan Stanley's analyst Adam Jonas is trying to talk the stock down to $500, which is his base price target. In theory, the part of Morgan Stanley that sells stock offerings is not communicating with analysts such as Jonas, but I don't think many of us believe that. Still, it seems disingenuous for a big investment bank to be selling a stock at $767 while the company's analyst is trying to knock it down to $500. Many of us believe that TSLA took off before Jonas could get MS clients onboard and then announce a price upgrade, and so MS clients missed the boat and he's pissed. The trading room at MS might be able to gork TSLA sufficiently to eventually get it down to $500 with all this coronavirus disruption, where MS clients could then load up and Jonas could give his price target blessing for the stock to run higher. His trading room, working with that of Goldman Sachs clearly demonstrated an ability to hold TSLA around $800 for a couple of days during the stock sale. Is there any doubt they could also exert downward pressure with similar effectiveness?

The obvious counter to such a conspiracy theory would be that Morgan Stanley's clients who bought TSLA at $767 would be mad as "sugar" if they knew the company was now pressuring the stock to trade well below the stock's selling price.

We live in interesting times.

Thanks so much for starting my day off in such a blessed uplifting way. I can die a happy camper now.

A question I haven’t seen posed here but is worth asking, even if you still consider it tail risk. Where do people suppose TSLA would be trading if Fremont production went through a period of suspended production, as has been happening in major manufacturing plants across Asia (Hyundai the latest)?

Not relevant in any way, shape or form. Hypothetical is a cute ‘OMG! What if?’ game people play when they’re unwilling to accept reality: good or bad.

FACT: Tesla IS manufacturing cars in China today, yesterday, last week. (As well as in California - the place that’s been pumping out ALL of their cars until just recently - surprise!)

Tesla was the FIRST car manufacturer to start making cars again since the virus was discovered and factories were shutdown in China. Tesla, a company that prides itself on safety for workers and customers has taken precautionary steps for both, all the while producing cars.

FACT: Tesla has taken MANY steps over the last 12-18 months to protect itself, and thus its long term shareholders and investors, against a recession regardless of what may trigger said recession. Indeed, the only OEM to do such.

So yeah, I’m going to call it what it is; a ridiculous, straw man, non-starter, drama queen, bs, et al question. Which is perhaps why nobody here has bothered to propose it in the first place.

A good time for everyone to think about things clearly for themselves and not get swept up in either perma bull mode or mass hysteria.

Great advice. Too bad we can’t follow our own advice, eh?

Last edited:
it should be at limited capacity. “Return to normalcy” in China starts Monday, but only for work that’s not in populous areas (eg.movie theater, shopping mall, etc.)

No, it's not at limited capacity to the extent we can tell - GF3 and all local Chinese suppliers of them got permission from the Shanghai government to start up on February 10th already - i.e. they had three full work-weeks in February already.

Here's a video that shows the GF3 production lines humming, reportedly at full capacity, a week ago:

The report mentions that Tesla hired 600 more workers - very likely the second shift. The Shanghai government also freed up several office buildings near GF3 with over 500 separate rooms so that Tesla can move in and isolate workers better, as a precautionary measure.

They also mentioned that the district GF3 is in didn't have any coronavirus infections. The last new infection reported in Shanghai was reported 8 days ago, on February 20.

Last edited:
No, it's not at limited capacity to the extent we can tell - GF3 and all local Chinese suppliers of them got permission from the Shanghai government to start up on February 10th already - i.e. they had three full work-weeks in February already.

Here's a video that shows the GF3 production lines humming, reportedly at full capacity, a week ago:

The report mentions that Tesla hired 600 more workers - very likely the second shift. The Shanghai government also freed up several office buildings near GF3 with over 500 separate rooms so that Tesla can move in and isolate workers better, as a precautionary measure.

They also mentioned that the district GF3 is in didn't have any coronavirus infections. The last new infection reported in Shanghai was reported 8 days ago, on February 20.

CHINA (2ND Largest World Economy) is 1st In, 1st Out of the Corona Queue.
Market's will lag to understand this ...

Wait for high 400s low 500s imo. Tesla has a history of dropping at most 50% from its previous all time high. If you’re a super long term investor then it doesn’t really matter
that was my original plan but pulled trigger today ....

I don't know why but that GF3 video gave me goose bumps ... just think a little over one year ago this is what was going on at that location