Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to wrap my head around your non-advice.. ;)

Isn't the biggest risk that your buyback order is triggered on the way down, and that the stock doesn't go up before the expiry date

Yes, that is the primary risk. But expiry is March 2021. If I need to roll in time I will, and that would be an adverse event, but IMHO I have little concern about that.

Loved today's voltility. 5 free +$50 rolls, at the cost (due to the lower SP) of slightly higher leverage (1 additional spreads converted to pure calls; the will convert back to a spread at an SP around $675-$680).

• Informative
Reactions: Dare
First of all, it's possible that selling certain amounts would move an individual up in marginal-tax rate. Why sell in 2020 when your income is $100,000 and have your profits taxed at the $100,001st dollar's rate, when you can wait until next year and have it taxed at the $50,001st dollar's rate?

Secondly, not timing the market because of tax absolutely makes sense. Every additional year you don't sell is another opportunity for those pre-tax profits to continue to grow. It's almost like a traditional IRA (but any withdrawal has a penalty).

Simple example:

Assume you own 100 shares with an average cost of 350, your tax rate is 30%, and the SP is currently 650. You sell for a total of $65,000 ($35,000 investment, $30,000 profit), thinking that we're not at the bottom, but then it's clear the market is recovering. Since you earned capital gains, you now owe 30% of your profit, or $9,000, in taxes and only have $56,000 to re-invest. Your 100 shares with an average cost of 350 have now turned into 86 shares with an average cost of 650.

Now we're in 2021, the SP is 1650. If you had held onto your original 100 shares, you could sell them for $165,000 ($35,000 investment, $130,000 profit), pay $39,000 in tax on your profits, and walk away with $126,000. But since you tried to time the market, you sell your 86 shares for $141,900 ($55,900 investment, $86,000 profit), pay $25,800 in taxes ($34,800 total from your first sale), and walk away with $116,100 instead. This effect is compounded for each year you decide not to sell.

Thanks for the lecture (I hope it was helpful to you to write it out), but that's not at all the point.

Would you decline a bonus at work (assuming you work for someone...) because of "too much taxes"?
Thanks.. very funny.. I enjoyed your reply. I already sold 303 for my short term needs. And keeping the rest for the future like most of us in this thread. Let's say I sell and try to buy back at lower price, I still need to pay taxes on that and on top that trying to time the market is not easy... so keep it, unless you can let me know exactly when the bottom of the TSLA range will be and I will sell right away. lol

Thanks for the lecture (I hope it was helpful to you to write it out), but that's not at all the point.

It's entirely the point. You asked:

Would you decline a bonus at work (assuming you work for someone...) because of "too much taxes"?

And the answer is a resounding YES if by declining the bonus now during a period of high income, you can let it grow and claim it later during a period of low income.

Yeah but it is now HAPPENING. When something amazing is announced it's interesting, when it happens it's news.

This is the delivery of what everyone knows will soon be the best selling EV of all time and likely for the next 5 years, at which point it may very well be the best selling car in the world. Day 1 of that is kinda worthy of a mention.

I expect headlines will occur on the day they actually start deliveries to customers, rather than now.

Just gonna put this here. lol. It's been a whole week since I could look forward to Monday.
ixic.JPG

Your point (would you decline a bonus?) is not the point. The difference is a bonus is free money (always take that regardless of the rate it will be taxed at) while a capital gain can be postponed. I don't know why you can't see the difference.