Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All taxi cars to be zero emission cars in Hordaland province in Norway from April 2024.

All taxis with up to 9 passengers must be ZEVs. Electric or Hydrogen cars are suggested. The province will invest in charging infrastructure. Charging stations in airports and town centres are already being funded.

There are already a few EV taxis on the road. In the city of Bergen 25 of 705 taxis were EVs back in January.

Hordaland recently joined the larger Vestland province on the west coast of Norway. And they are working to expand this EV policy to all of Vestland.

Source in Norwegian: Drosjar skal bli utsleppsfrie om fire år

If you want to become even more confused, but perhaps a little more enlightened as well, then I recommend you read this:

The Fallacy of Market Prediction | Macro Ops

This does a good job of explaining why those who think they know everything and can trade around a chaotic market are mostly fooling themselves. Why the human brain is not suited to this and did not evolve to deal with it. And why it wouldn't work, even if the brain was well suited to it. He does make an exception for very short-term trading using large amounts of data to inform the trades. But I don't think that is what you are talking about here.

Read and learn from wiser, more experienced people.
Interesting read. I have to admit that I am not trading on "first principle base" either. That would require a much deeper understanding of economy, market, etc. than what I have. Soros has written an excellent book about his reflexology method in his book "Alchemy of science" that I attempt to follow in my trading. He stopped teaching trading after that. All his published works, tweets, etc. are about policy, democracy, etc. issues. One can learn from these a lot, but not about trading.
I'd say what cost you a lot of money was selling TSLA, not the permabull mindset. If you hadn't sold, you would've lost nothing.

As someone may have mentioned before, paper losses are not losses (if you don't sell).
The only possible difference between losses and "paper losses" are tax differences. "Paper loss" does not exist only for tax purposes "unrealized loss".

If you are so deep in your own belief, why asked the question to begin with?

It’s a question of fact, not belief.

Two people have $9000.

Jane bought 10 shares of Tesla at $900.

Fred put $3k under his mattress and $6k in cash at Fidelity.

Someone breaks in Fred’s house and steals the $3k.

Fred says “My money’s not safe anyway, I’ll take my $6k in cash and this morning buy 10 shares of Tesla in pre-market at $600 each”.

Everybody would agree Fred had a $3k “real loss”, but he and Jane started off with an identical $9k net worth and both now own an identical 10 shares of TSLA.

So I don’t know why Jane’s “oh it’s only a paper loss” argument should make it superior or make her feel better than Fred with his real loss to theft.

They started in identical situations. They ended in identical situations. Tax consequences aside, there is no difference between a paper loss and a real loss.

Two people have $9000.

Fred says “My money’s not safe anyway, I’ll take my $6k in cash and this morning buy 10 shares of Tesla in pre-market at $600 each”.

Everybody would agree Fred had a $3k “real loss”, but he and Jane started off with an identical $9k net worth and both now own an identical 10 shares of TSLA.

So I don’t know why Jane’s “oh it’s only a paper loss” argument should make it superior or make her feel better than Fred with his real loss to theft.

They started in identical situations. They ended in identical situations. Tax consequences aside, there is no difference between a paper loss and a real loss.
I think you are correct. I think you should sell all you have now and wait for the SP to drop further and buy back.

Sorry, but tax consequences aside, the loss is just as real as any other loss, whether you sell or not.

Objectively that's simply untrue, unless you're leveraging the asset for something else requiring a mark. There is a reason the terms realized and unrealized gains/losses exist.

Like others, I am a bit puzzled in regards to your point on this.

Two people have $9000.

Contrived scenarios are just contrived scenarios. All you're saying is that hindsight is better than foresight.

Wait for it — :confused:

I actually did some Googling, and the conclusion was "Nobody knows for sure."

But some speculation was that since options are technically resolved after the market closes, they could be exercised if they were ITM at the time the circuit breaker tripped. So if a Level 3 circuit breaker is tripped at 12 PM on a Friday with the SP at 600, then a call at 590 could be exercised after 4 PM.

For the record, I think $550-$600 is good entry point, but not calling a bottom, just saying when I will start adding to position. This AM thus presented such an opp. Could be more downside though as our fav bug spreads more widely with the requisite effects on people and the markets/economy.

Reactions: Fobble
My IRA is looking quite green (at least for the moment) after buying back into TSLA at 615 this morning. I went to almost all cash 10 days ago as it became clearer that the Corona virus would not be contained. I'm prepared to cost average down on TSLA, as this purchase may have been premature. The overall market is going to be bleak for the next month or two, and even good stocks can get pulled down in such a market. For example, I remember seeing AMZN intraday at under $7 on the Friday a week after markets re-opened following 9/11.