Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It didn't since I have them in a retirement account that is only taxed small amounts when you move money in or out of the account. There is also a very small quarterly tax on the balance but overall it's a lot lower then normal stock taxes. So no immediate tax on any profit.

Not an American obviously.
Thanks, appreciate it! BTW, love your moniker!

AAAaaand we're back down again. Man, that was an ineffective $1T!
That money is to prevent a liquidity crisis in the banking system and ensure no banks suddenly fail. It's not something that means a lot for the economy, nor is it meant to be. No one wants sudden credit defaults. The Fed only does what it can do, after all, and this is one of the few things they can do.

I have never seen such a sequence of terrible decisions by people in charge. Massive failure all around.
It is so bad I almost want to believe they had a plan to crash the economy rather than think they are so dim.
Sad. :oops:

I think I might start saying I'm Canadian, just visiting this crazy country.

My answer, though I realize you're not directing the question at me - this one looks significantly and qualitatively different from every other bear market during my life.

More like the big bear market that my parents (as children) and their parents lived through. Thankfully those don't come around often.

Yeah, kinda this. We might go down further but it's very unlikely a similar fall will happen again anytime soon. we'll need an insane uptick in a fairly short time for that to happen.

But even more what I wrote. I now have the shares I aimed for. For someone with little savings going 100% into Tesla and taking numerous chances that could have gone bad several times I have zero intention to try to time the market anymore. And having 'worked' this hard to get these shares I'm not gonna risk them again. I plan to sell one each month when I retire in 10 years or so. And if it passes $2000 before that maybe I'll retire earlier.

I'm 75 percent reinvested, perhaps prematurely. Saving the 25 percent cash to see what happens over the next week or three. My IRA is down about 15 percent from its February peak, instead of the 40 percent or so if I hadn't cashed out. The 15 percent paper loss is from trying to catch a few falling knives. With purchases today, I have more TSLA stock than ever, and need it back to 630 or so to recover to my peak.
It will be interesting to see what the production/delivery numbers for TSLA look like, and whether this turmoil costs a few thousand deliveries before Q1 end, and how that effects Q1 profitability. Cars are very deferrable purchases, but as the overall car market volume shrinks this year, EVs may well grow in absolute terms, and even more so on a market share basis. The macro situation is going to make it harder for existing automakers to devote resources to the electric transition, and harder still to accept selling EVs below manufacturing cost to satisfy CO2 emission standards.
If this turns into a relatively nasty recession, Tesla has the option of slowing its growth plans slightly, perhaps delaying the central US factory by a couple of quarters or more. The flexibility for Fremont to allocate between M3 and MY production is going to be critical; hopefully that flexibility is there.
And this turmoil, unless we exit it very quickly with a strong market and economic bounce back, is likely to strongly influence US elections. A Biden presidency with a Democratic house and near 50/50 Senate is likely to result in policies that will benefit Tesla on EV, solar, and energy storage sales. However, if this turns out to be a relatively short-lived panic, voters won't remember it by November.

Yeah, kinda this. We might go down further but it's very unlikely a similar fall will happen again anytime soon. we'll need an insane uptick in a fairly short time for that to happen.

But even more what I wrote. I now have the shares I aimed for. For someone with little savings going 100% into Tesla and taking numerous chances that could have gone bad several times I have zero intention to try to time the market anymore. And having 'worked' this hard to get these shares I'm not gonna risk them again. I plan to sell one each month when I retire in 10 years or so. And if it passes $2000 before that maybe I'll retire earlier.
I'm not sure, this might just be the tip of the iceberg.

At least not as bad as Bitcoin, down 27+%.

And be glad you didn't buy Renault!

$24.42 at its peak two years back :eek:

From a distance it kinda looks like a stock to get into, surely it will come up from here? Well maybe a bit, before the whole company goes down the shitter...

upload_2020-3-12_20-9-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-12_20-8-58.png
    upload_2020-3-12_20-8-58.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 39
Gold dropped in 2008 too as margin calls came through only to take off once the dust cleared and the Fed responded with QE. I'm expecting something similar soon.

Naah, there are very few believers left who think that gold is still money. Unless it cures corona, you are better off buying other assets. You can't do much with that piece of metal.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: GOVA and StealthP3D
Naah, there are very few believers left who think that gold is still money. Unless it cures corona, you are better off buying other assets. You can't do much with that piece of metal.
Not so sure about that. Gold is pretty heavy. Drop a large ingot on someone and they're not likely to give you any more trouble.