Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I truly feel that society as we know it will change from here....sounds alarmist and extreme, but dont mean it that way...the way we think about epidemiology, social justice, pensions, leverage, supply chains.

1. 2 months ago when I first started hearing about Wuhan, it got my attention. Being in the medical field myself, I could tell this wasn't a SARS type of situation. I bought my N95 masks on Amazon 7 weeks ago when they were plentiful and people laughed at me. During the first crisis in 2008 I also bought dry food, propane tanks, propane generator, solar powered chargers and etc...and yes people laughed at me then also. My point, people need to realize that supply chain stability walks a very fine line between normal and chaos and empty shelves. Bottle of hand sanitizer going for 80.00 on eBay now and local groceries shelves emptied out. People are starting to get this now and in this way, people from here on out will realize that the foundations of society is abit more precarious than they thought.

2. TSLA the stock...now this one is tricky cause everyones situation is very different. For the average person who isn't adept at technical trading and relying on solely on fundamentals, they should probably just hold despite the pains. We are at crucial technical levels right now barely bouncing off the intermediate term bottom channels but if the mkt accepts prices below friday's low with conviction, we will be testing the long term bear channels which is a long way from here...people like me will not hold during this process if it happens.

If we can't hold this week and we head toward the long term bear mkt floor , I feel SPX 1300-1700 would be the target. But just know this, if we head there(and I really hope we don't), please please have some dry powder ready cause just when things look hopeless and dire that will be the time to buy and you can easily double and triple you money form these bottoms...but this also means TSLA will go down withe the general mkt's....mkt's will move in parallel with Corona news...when GILD's new antiviral drug results released in May the mkt's will move.....when I see IT targets taken out to downside, I see repercussions of what this means...I see layoffs, social fear/anxiety, anger, empty shelves, people dying on ventilators...if we can't how IT lines, I see a severe recession lasting this entire year.

People already being laid off now and certain sectors, all sports have shut it down, restaurants rez's down 30-50% already, even my golf club has shut it down.

3. Social Injustices--when the Fed Reserve says they will pump 1.5T into the mkt's, what they mean is that the US govt will print govt bonds(IOU's which will never be paid back if you think about it) and the Fed Reserve will print electronic 000's and buy the bonds.Then the govt gets it first, followed by banks and large corporations as cheap cheap money. The govt expects the avg Joe to get the benefit years later, when businesses start to spend it, make loans, govt can create some new social programs and etc, but during the acute time of need, not much happens.

But if you read social media and mainstream media, UBI(universe basic income) is gaining traction now. There is no better way to help the masses and stimulate the economy than giving this money directly to the people who will laid off and hurting....the mainstream will start to better understand this and demand that the govt do something for them...I think this is coming...Biden and Yang will be best friends soon.

4. The Big Unwind--HF leverage was the highest ever measured like a month ago...as mat's march downwards, this has to unwind...within interest rates so low and borrowing costs so low, they were forced to take huge risks in a bull mkt...with deleveraging liquidity of mkt's become strained the gap between bid/ask alarmingly high...the decoupling of bond prices and equities shows this...even "perceived" safe assets like gold/bitcoin not behaving normally...ETF mkt's are huge now and for the same reason people are excited that TSLA will get accepted into the SPX soon, the same forces were driving equities upwards. During downtimes, the same forces will drive the indexes and its stocks downward as people will pull out of ETF's in mass and amplifying the down forces...hence the mkt's are even more volatile now than 2008 when the entire financial system was on the verge of total collapse.

5. Social Unrest--when we think social unrest, we think of the far left or right with masks on but this won't be the case in 1-2 years...we will see the teachers/firemen/cops with signs protesting broken pension promises...the states can't print money and won't be able to meet obligations soon... people will decry "I had a guarantee"!...but when they realize that the choice is between 70% and nothing, they will take the 70% but they will do it with a lot of yelling....the PBCG will likely go bankrupt and will not be paying anything just like AIG didn't really insure CDS's in 2008 and etc...these entities are there for show and if a few institutions fail they may help but a systematic failure cannot be addressed...PBCG set to go bankrupt within 3 years or so....many teachers/cops who retired at age 52-3 will be going back to work.

6. healthcare--while China, Korea, Iran, Italy gave us the flow chart what was going to happen, the US for whatever reason didnt prepare or even admit this was going to be huge problem...people need to understand exponential growth...in Italy if your 65 years old or younger with significant comorbid diseases, if you get a heart attack they will not pull out the paddles or even do CPR...you will die,..all beds including hallways are used for critically ill and OR's are shut down so no elective surgeries are done now and traumas aren't being treated. While the US has the best healthcare, the number of ICU beds are severely lacking. Even Japan has way more ICU beds per capita.

The Who declared a pandemic a month too late and the US is fumbling around with the testing kits...Korea is testing more per day the entire number of tests that have been done in the US in its entirety.

Our hospitals will be over run soon and medical tents will prob be seen soon. The number of cases we admit to you need to multiply by 20-30...we have no idea how many cases we have due to lack of testing and we are telling people with URI's to stay home and not come into the med clinics and ER unless you need to be admitted...so only 10-15% off the true cases are even seeking medical care...thats why the cases are exploding cause 90% of ill people have no idea of they have a regular cold or corona.

Experts think that the penetration rate will be 20-40 million people will get infected eventually(analogous to the common flu).

But the good news is that social distancing does work and when you shut things down, the spread will slow down.

Sorry for the long rant , but we are in unprecedented times right now...prob a once in a generation event as nobody in their wildest imagination could they have guessed schools would close, sports will entirely shut down, and etc...but people are resilient and we will bounce back as always...and yes the stock mkt will take out all time highs ...may be 1 year from now, or 5, but it will happen...and yes, TSLA will dominate the automotive and energy sector I have no doubt.
Do you think cash in ameritrade or banks are safe, as in FDIC? Inflation aside.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
I truly feel that society as we know it will change from here....sounds alarmist and extreme, but dont mean it that way...the way we think about epidemiology, social justice, pensions, leverage, supply chains.

1. 2 months ago when I first started hearing about Wuhan, it got my attention. Being in the medical field myself, I could tell this wasn't a SARS type of situation. I bought my N95 masks on Amazon 7 weeks ago when they were plentiful and people laughed at me. During the first crisis in 2008 I also bought dry food, propane tanks, propane generator, solar powered chargers and etc...and yes people laughed at me then also. My point, people need to realize that supply chain stability walks a very fine line between normal and chaos and empty shelves. Bottle of hand sanitizer going for 80.00 on eBay now and local groceries shelves emptied out. People are starting to get this now and in this way, people from here on out will realize that the foundations of society is abit more precarious than they thought.

2. TSLA the stock...now this one is tricky cause everyones situation is very different. For the average person who isn't adept at technical trading and relying on solely on fundamentals, they should probably just hold despite the pains. We are at crucial technical levels right now barely bouncing off the intermediate term bottom channels but if the mkt accepts prices below friday's low with conviction, we will be testing the long term bear channels which is a long way from here...people like me will not hold during this process if it happens.

If we can't hold this week and we head toward the long term bear mkt floor , I feel SPX 1300-1700 would be the target. But just know this, if we head there(and I really hope we don't), please please have some dry powder ready cause just when things look hopeless and dire that will be the time to buy and you can easily double and triple you money form these bottoms...but this also means TSLA will go down withe the general mkt's....mkt's will move in parallel with Corona news...when GILD's new antiviral drug results released in May the mkt's will move.....when I see IT targets taken out to downside, I see repercussions of what this means...I see layoffs, social fear/anxiety, anger, empty shelves, people dying on ventilators...if we can't how IT lines, I see a severe recession lasting this entire year.

People already being laid off now and certain sectors, all sports have shut it down, restaurants rez's down 30-50% already, even my golf club has shut it down.

3. Social Injustices--when the Fed Reserve says they will pump 1.5T into the mkt's, what they mean is that the US govt will print govt bonds(IOU's which will never be paid back if you think about it) and the Fed Reserve will print electronic 000's and buy the bonds.Then the govt gets it first, followed by banks and large corporations as cheap cheap money. The govt expects the avg Joe to get the benefit years later, when businesses start to spend it, make loans, govt can create some new social programs and etc, but during the acute time of need, not much happens.

But if you read social media and mainstream media, UBI(universe basic income) is gaining traction now. There is no better way to help the masses and stimulate the economy than giving this money directly to the people who will laid off and hurting....the mainstream will start to better understand this and demand that the govt do something for them...I think this is coming...Biden and Yang will be best friends soon.

4. The Big Unwind--HF leverage was the highest ever measured like a month ago...as mat's march downwards, this has to unwind...within interest rates so low and borrowing costs so low, they were forced to take huge risks in a bull mkt...with deleveraging liquidity of mkt's become strained the gap between bid/ask alarmingly high...the decoupling of bond prices and equities shows this...even "perceived" safe assets like gold/bitcoin not behaving normally...ETF mkt's are huge now and for the same reason people are excited that TSLA will get accepted into the SPX soon, the same forces were driving equities upwards. During downtimes, the same forces will drive the indexes and its stocks downward as people will pull out of ETF's in mass and amplifying the down forces...hence the mkt's are even more volatile now than 2008 when the entire financial system was on the verge of total collapse.

5. Social Unrest--when we think social unrest, we think of the far left or right with masks on but this won't be the case in 1-2 years...we will see the teachers/firemen/cops with signs protesting broken pension promises...the states can't print money and won't be able to meet obligations soon... people will decry "I had a guarantee"!...but when they realize that the choice is between 70% and nothing, they will take the 70% but they will do it with a lot of yelling....the PBCG will likely go bankrupt and will not be paying anything just like AIG didn't really insure CDS's in 2008 and etc...these entities are there for show and if a few institutions fail they may help but a systematic failure cannot be addressed...PBCG set to go bankrupt within 3 years or so....many teachers/cops who retired at age 52-3 will be going back to work.

6. healthcare--while China, Korea, Iran, Italy gave us the flow chart what was going to happen, the US for whatever reason didnt prepare or even admit this was going to be huge problem...people need to understand exponential growth...in Italy if your 65 years old or younger with significant comorbid diseases, if you get a heart attack they will not pull out the paddles or even do CPR...you will die,..all beds including hallways are used for critically ill and OR's are shut down so no elective surgeries are done now and traumas aren't being treated. While the US has the best healthcare, the number of ICU beds are severely lacking. Even Japan has way more ICU beds per capita.

The Who declared a pandemic a month too late and the US is fumbling around with the testing kits...Korea is testing more per day the entire number of tests that have been done in the US in its entirety.

Our hospitals will be over run soon and medical tents will prob be seen soon. The number of cases we admit to you need to multiply by 20-30...we have no idea how many cases we have due to lack of testing and we are telling people with URI's to stay home and not come into the med clinics and ER unless you need to be admitted...so only 10-15% off the true cases are even seeking medical care...thats why the cases are exploding cause 90% of ill people have no idea of they have a regular cold or corona.

Experts think that the penetration rate will be 20-40 million people will get infected eventually(analogous to the common flu).

But the good news is that social distancing does work and when you shut things down, the spread will slow down.

Sorry for the long rant , but we are in unprecedented times right now...prob a once in a generation event as nobody in their wildest imagination could they have guessed schools would close, sports will entirely shut down, and etc...but people are resilient and we will bounce back as always...and yes the stock mkt will take out all time highs ...may be 1 year from now, or 5, but it will happen...and yes, TSLA will dominate the automotive and energy sector I have no doubt.
I could be totally wrong, but this (coronavirus effects) looks a lot like 9/11 (sudden shock, lingering costs, lingering economic malaise) and/or the Great Recession (deep economic effects, heated political squabbling, eventual and durable recovery)--so perhaps not once in a generation. If it turns into a Second Great Depression, then I'm with you. But I doubt it. JMHO. I do agree about TSLA, and I'm holding, with cash available in case it gets stupid cheap.

... I can't even phantom what reason they can have for making model Y deliveries a non event.
Perhaps they are seeing such strong demand for the Y that they don't want to increase it further creating unhappiness with extra long delays between order and delivery.
Or maybe they want to limit early deliveries so that they get some real-world customer experience to find (and fix) any new-product issues before they go full-tilt on production.
Maybe city NOA is on the verge of release and they want to wait until it is released and they increase the FSD price to have higher margins per car before making a big event out of it.

There are lots of potential good reasons.

I strongly suspect Tesla wouldn't be ramping to 1k roof/week production if they didn't see a fair chance to reach 1k/week installation capacity in the near future.

I suspect reaching the 1k/week roof production milestone is one of the things they wanted to talk about at the "company day" in April.
Do we know, guess, dream, etc. of the profit margin of the roofs? My guess that at this stage of the initial ramp it is low or negative, but it should become quite profitable once the process matures.

First pillar installed on the Model Y plant at Shanghai:

Nice progress :D
I hope the supply to construct the building is not interrupted. But since this stuff is probably produced in CN and they got corona under control atm, this should work out.
I hope the machines that build the machine can be ready and shipped in time. Some of them will likely be produced in the NA and Europe.

They even got a head start of 2 days compared to last year: Jay in Shanghai #SaveChad on Twitter

Wondering if Linette learned a thing or two:
Viv on Twitter

Do you think cash in ameritrade or banks are safe, as in FDIC? Inflation aside.

I do think it is reasonably safe hence I am still using my bank and keeping money in Fidelity and Etrade but do I know this with 100% certainty ..no...but this isn't the type of situation that will create a run on the banks like 2008.

I see this as a significant contraction of the economy for the first half of this year, maybe more...but the mkt's always front run these things down or up.

The mkt's are adjusting for this right now but nobody knows exactly how much the economy will shrink right now as its a fluid process.

BTW, the FDIC can only help out if there are isolated bank run events...if there is a "systemic" collapse, then the FDIC couldn't fund 5% of the banks...to understand our economy and where the true equity lies, you need to understand the fiat system created by the Fed's and how it relates to govt bonds and debt, esp after Bretton Woods and the lack of a gold standard. ... inflation/deflation is defined by money supply. expansion/contraction.

Yes, our fiat system is based on faith and by definition it's a ponzi scheme, but its our ponzi scheme and its the best we have for better or worse...faith is what keeps this going and while fundamentally ludicrous, without it it would be millions of dollars for a loaf of bread and Weimer wheel barrows full of money for basic needs , which is a world we dont want to see.

Nice progress :D
I hope the supply to construct the building is not interrupted. But since this stuff is probably produced in CN and they got corona under control atm, this should work out.
I hope the machines that build the machine can be ready and shipped in time. Some of them will likely be produced in the NA and Europe.

They even got a head start of 2 days compared to last year: Jay in Shanghai #SaveChad on Twitter

Wondering if Linette learned a thing or two:
Viv on Twitter

While it is unknown whether Linette Lopez learned anything from gravely underestimating Tesla and Elon Musk, it is quite possible that her employer Business Insider learned something from her Tesla reporting.

You see, back then Lopez was a "senior finance correspondent at Business Insider" focused on Tesla while now she is mere a "columnist" for them.

Yeah, before this crisis it was hard for ICE companies to invest in EVs as their established industry is dying, imagine how hard this is going to be during a crisis where they're struggling to simply survive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see EV regulations loosened this year to 'accommodate' the ICE industry. I thought that even in absence of this crisis the EV regulations could threaten to financially ruin certain lazy ICE manufacturers in the coming years, but if this crisis turns out really bad, governments will possibly have to loosen EV regulations to save a large number of ICE manufacturers from bankruptcy. It's going to be hard to get ICE manufacturers to pay billions of $s in fines if they don't have billions of $s.
Aren't the fines proportional to the emissions of the ICE cars they sell in the year? Thus if they don't sell many, they won't owe billions in fines either.

I can't fault anyone for selling higher than TSLA is at right now, and I think it can fall further.

Worse scenarios include...
* the stock market closes altogether so you can't even sell the stock you've got.
* all stocks fall a long way further down... TSLA to $150 (can't really see it below that)
* Tesla being unable to continue selling cars, either because factory supply issues, transportation, or sales/delivery staff outages
* Continued COVID-19 news dominating the cycle and overwhelming any good news that might be coming out of Tesla. After steeping myself in the news cycle over the weekend, I can't imagine TSLA ending Monday higher than Friday.
* The bad macro conditions could continue to dog TSLA all the way through to the end of the month. I wouldn't be surprised if the first real positive moves we see aren't delayed until the vehicle deliveries announcement around April 2nd/3rd. By this time, the USA (being the biggest victim of the virus due to nationwide hubris and policy delay) may be in an even worse shape to absorb great press releases from Tesla.

I see dirty short sellers breathing a sigh of relief due to COVID-19 - nothing to do with the affairs of Tesla the company - and getting the hell out of there.

However... once the rebound is ready to happen, the market will respond to an amazing amount of positive press and see that Tesla is in fact in better shape then any of the other manufacturers. Not only with auto production, but solar and battery products going well. The other manufacturers will be struggling with lots full of cars, dealerships complaining, and dwindling cash-in-the-bank.

I am confident TSLA will be passing through $900 during 2020.

Disagree. Every retiree should have some money in Tesla. It’s a question of percentage.

Also let’s take the case of someone who is 64 and plans to retire next year and made a super-wise investment in TSLA 10 years ago. According to your theory they should not own Tesla next year, therefore they should sell it all this year.
That’s my point. At some point everyone of us except those passing it on to heirs, will have to sell Tesla and they will care about the share price at that time. Just because that time is not 2020 for you, does not mean it is not 2020 for anyone.

Agree about the need for 3 months to 2 years being wise, but we have seen the stock price being nowhere close to reality for over a year. So some people still care about the stock price as it currently sits. They may have already burnt through their emergency buffer. I’m not saying people should obsess over day to day gyrations, but they may definitely care about the price throughout this year, as they may need to sell.
As a retiree I use a five year CD ladder as well as a Short term fixed income investment grade fund. That's enough cash and equivalents to ride out a five year market swing.
Your mileage might vary.

I was at the doctors office getting my yearly physical when someone made a speech and the market went up.
Looking at my phone at 415 EST I realized I had made a pretty penny.

I had 40 AAPL calls that I paid a few pennies for that expired friday (270). Closed at 278.
Thought they were going to expire worthless.

Called broker at 415.
Was informed that Monday morning I would have 40,000 shares sitting in my account and I could then sell them on monday. Or I could let my calls expire and forfeit the gain..
Did not want to hold 1 million in Apple over the weekend. Not with the markets acting like this.

Asked if there was any other alternative.
After 45 minutes on hold I got the good news they would exercise the call and (just this once) allow me to sell in after hours trading.
Sold at 276.

Many, many times I've had a large number of calls (Normally Tesla) that could have done the same thing.

Are there any US brokers where I can set it to sell at closing ?

While I am here... folks were speculating about the rave cave under Giga Berlin... I never saw anyone describe my explanation. I think they will dig deep during this "levelling" phase and construct one or more levels of undergound parking levels.
* employees can park their cars underground if they aren't taking the trains etc.
* helps disguise inventory & other equipment/projects, as they're shielded from prying eyes
* BEVs don't have exhaust... storing/moving underground requires less ventilation
* underground connections to other parts of the factory, dug by the boring company?
* valuable inventory can survive rain, hail, snow & other bad weather
* and the most important... it saves space at the ground level. Huge parking lots full of cars is a waste of valuable above-ground space.

So - the underground rave could easily take place once the underground level(s) are built. I don't endorse the acoustics of such an event but hey, underground raves are known for underground acoustics :)

I do think it is reasonably safe hence I am still using my bank and keeping money in Fidelity and Etrade but do I know this with 100% certainty ..no...but this isn't the type of situation that will create a run on the banks like 2008.

I see this as a significant contraction of the economy for the first half of this year, maybe more...but the mkt's always front run these things down or up.

The mkt's are adjusting for this right now but nobody knows exactly how much the economy will shrink right now as its a fluid process.

BTW, the FDIC can only help out if there are isolated bank run events...if there is a "systemic" collapse, then the FDIC couldn't fund 5% of the banks...to understand our economy and where the true equity lies, you need to understand the fiat system created by the Fed's and how it relates to govt bonds and debt, esp after Bretton Woods and the lack of a gold standard. ... inflation/deflation is defined by money supply. expansion/contraction.

Yes, our fiat system is based on faith and by definition it's a ponzi scheme, but its our ponzi scheme and its the best we have for better or worse...faith is what keeps this going and while fundamentally ludicrous, without it it would be millions of dollars for a loaf of bread and Weimer wheel barrows full of money for basic needs , which is a world we dont want to see.

I would say it a bit stronger - money is always based on trust and faith. If nothing else, trust and faith that when I accept money from you, I will be able to exchange it with somebody else for something that I value. And do so with a reasonably stable value that all 3 of us accept as the value.

EVEN gold and silver are "money" only to the degree that others will accept it in exchange for something of value. (I realize that they do have some industrial uses as well - my claim is that people accepting gold and silver as money aren't doing so for it's industrial value). Gold and silver, just like paper money, have no extrinsic value as money, any more than paper money does.

Without that trust and faith, then we're quickly reduced to a barter economy, and that would be disastrous. We'd all be heading back to our farms (you all do have a farm right? :)) to grow our own food and try to be self-sufficient. Medical doctors will have to be ready to start accepting chickens in trade for their services, though of course there's only so many chickens anybody really needs.

I also think our money funds are reasonably safe, if for no other reason the alternative is turning into something I don't see a way to prepare for. I DID choose the fund to move into that had the most "Moneyness" to it that I could identify. I passed over the corporate bond fund, and the long dated Treasury bond fund, consciously forgoing interest in exchange for the fund I thought would most be able to maintain the $1 stable value.

I also expect that short date, stable value fund, to see it's interest rate fade to 0%, and I hope it's rate doesn't go negative. I'm ok with 0% interest for a few months while we see what really happens.

I can't fault anyone for selling higher than TSLA is at right now, and I think it can fall further.

Worse scenarios include...
* the stock market closes altogether so you can't even sell the stock you've got.
This is probably the least of the concern. Stacey Cunningham, NYSE chief lady said last week that the stock exchange has prepared, and able to to keep the market open for remote trading.

Reactions: MartinAustin
I could be totally wrong, but this (coronavirus effects) looks a lot like 9/11 (sudden shock, lingering costs, lingering economic malaise) and/or the Great Recession (deep economic effects, heated political squabbling, eventual and durable recovery)--so perhaps not once in a generation. If it turns into a Second Great Depression, then I'm with you. But I doubt it. JMHO. I do agree about TSLA, and I'm holding, with cash available in case it gets stupid cheap.

Economically I dont even think it will be as bad the 2008-2009...what I mean by our way of life as we know it changing is about how we think about the fragility of our supply chains, epidemiology and out breaks, the precariousness of our financial institutions...those kind of things....the only reason why I think our pension systems will somewhat collapse is because the boards that run these state pensions are mostly mom/pop types and not financially sophisticated...they are accepting private equity and HF products without fully understanding what they are agreeing to and certainly not their fee structure...they are being wined and dined by HF's and being played for suckers and the masses relying on these pensions dont get this...they are underfunded and desperate for returns hence they take huge risks with HF's and this works out ok(barely) during the good times, but during bad time, things will spiral out of control.

Another thing that will fundamentally change is this...the mom and pops of society will demand relief from our govt directly this time around...the masses will picket virtually with social media and pressures will mount...mom and pop are paying huge amounts of taxes while companies like Amazon dont pay a cent and this will somehow need to change in the future...UBI will be the solution, is it perfect no, but a good start...once the masses receive this, they will prob never support anyone that doesn't continue to support UBI in the future.

I see this is a moderate recession and not even a severe(definitions will vary) recession and certainly not a full on deflationary depression....jmho of course...during the first phase of this downturn wealth be transferred from mom and pop to the skilled traders...then once the govt gives support over the longer term, wealth be transferred back to the masses more slowly...and then our national debt will rise as the bill has to be paid by someone and the invoice fo this bill be via inflation and expansion of the money supply hence the price of things we will need to live will rise modestly.

While I am here... folks were speculating about the rave cave under Giga Berlin... I never saw anyone describe my explanation. I think they will dig deep during this "levelling" phase and construct one or more levels of undergound parking levels.
* employees can park their cars underground if they aren't taking the trains etc.
* helps disguise inventory & other equipment/projects, as they're shielded from prying eyes
* BEVs don't have exhaust... storing/moving underground requires less ventilation
* underground connections to other parts of the factory, dug by the boring company?
* valuable inventory can survive rain, hail, snow & other bad weather
* and the most important... it saves space at the ground level. Huge parking lots full of cars is a waste of valuable above-ground space.

So - the underground rave could easily take place once the underground level(s) are built. I don't endorse the acoustics of such an event but hey, underground raves are known for underground acoustics :)

My guess is that if they're going to build one, it'll be under the "office" spaces of the gigafactory, since it wouldn't need the weight support network you'd need for under the main building facilities. Cars and the machines that build them are heavy.

This would also greatly impact the space you could have for underground things. Have to go deep/sparsely directly under the factory, and that takes the majority of the space on the property. And, building a tunnel is different than building a working underground floor for cars/stuffs. I don't think the boring company would do it, mostly for the fact that there' be only limited tunnels, and also because it'd be cost prohibitive to ship a digger from the states to Berlin for just that.

BTW, the FDIC can only help out if there are isolated bank run events...if there is a "systemic" collapse, then the FDIC couldn't fund 5% of the banks...

The Federal Reserve can create dollars at will (it's literally a few computer commands), and won't let the FDIC "run out of money". Trust in bank balances is such a basic concept.

to understand our economy and where the true equity lies, you need to understand the fiat system created by the Fed's and how it relates to govt bonds and debt, esp after Bretton Woods and the lack of a gold standard. ... inflation/deflation is defined by money supply. expansion/contraction.

The main force that creates the value of the dollar is that U.S. citizens and corporations have to pay about ~4 trillion dollars of tax obligations per year, which can only be settled in U.S. dollars.

This is what couples U.S. economic activity to the value of the dollar: more income generates more taxes, which generates demand on the dollar, and a 200 years robust track record of this demand creates expectations of this to continue.

Nothing more, nothing less.

"Faith" plays little role, money is not a religious concept. :D

I have serious doubts I can make it in the green by December... when I try to resell my hotwheels CyberTruck. TSLA for sure I'll be way up (already up as of today actually).
That does not bode well for the two I bought as well! Guess I'll just have to race them around in my back patio like I planned to begin with ;-)

Reactions: UncaNed