Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still somewhat leveraged but I think I can manage. I'm planning to sell in tranches if margin calls come up. $300 is my pain point. Other than that, business as usual. My side business as a translator is booming. Hospitals are writing novels worth of COVID PSA and guides. It's going to be a tough 6 months in term of workload and financial gymnastics but nothing unmanageable.

Sorry, but this is mortally flawed goldbug logic. o_O

You need to replace "faith" with "200 years proven track record and the economic self-interest of 300 million citizens, backed up with an army".

If the US lost: "200 years proven track record and the economic self-interest of 300 million citizens, backed up with an army", then maybe, but not even you are arguing that, because it's obvious nonsense.

Using the opaque and ultimately meaningless word of "faith" led you to this flawed path of logic.

Btw., the following argument is flawed in the specifics as well and shows a lack of understanding of how financial systems and treasury bonds work in particular:

That's a very naive understanding of how treasuries work. If there are more sellers of treasury bonds than buyers, and the Fed doesn't like the spiking yields, they'll step in and buy them. There's no danger whatsoever of bonds "collapsing", because the Fed has unlimited authority to acquire them - and has done so in the past.

The "masses" cannot "cash in" treasuries "one day", they have fixed maturities. They can sell them, to the Fed if there are no buyers. I.e. there's no possibility of a bank run on the Fed.

Your argument goes downhill from there I'm afraid.

LOL...ok...treasuries bonds started in 1929 lol...fed reserve act was in 1913...200 years huh?....debt maybe but not treasuries ...yes the whole system is based on faith and I stand by that statement...treasuries are sold and bought all the time as they have different maturity dates ...but true you cannot cash out all treasuries at once due to maturity dates.

"there is no possibility of a bank run on the fed" is one of the most inane statements I have ever heard...you do realize that the Fed Reserve are just bankers right?...who is on the board of the Fed Reserve you hold so dear?...thats right owners of the banks that are traded publicly...the Fed Reserve are private banker and have nothing to do with the US govt on a technical basis despite their accepted relationship.

If things can get really ugly and there is no more faith in our fiat system, the Fed will cease to exist trust me on that one.

Fiat based economies last 50 years on average. None will last forever its common sense.

Take care...:)

Reactions: phantasms
I don't believe that Robinhood is a good proxy (for the little guy). Robinhood is full of young people trading less than 10 shares at a time for entertainment. They are like play accounts. I wouldn't use their trade data for anything. Most of them have no clue what they are doing and their accounts are not big enough to matter.

They bought the dip to $180 pretty damn perfectly, and 10 shares times 170k holding users moves them into the top 10 institutional holders of Tesla.

There's a couple of Reddit WSB heroes who posted meme after meme below $200 and were proven right. I believe they played a significant role in fighting off the TSLAQ horde on Reddit and changing the overall sentiment.

LOL...ok...treasuries bonds started in 1929 lol...fed reserve act was in 1913...200 years huh?..

This is what I wrote:

"200 years proven track record and the economic self-interest of 300 million citizens, backed up with an army"​

Not a single mention of "treasuries", right?

You'll need to make coherent, logical arguments if you want me to answer them.

I don't believe that Robinhood is a good proxy (for the little guy). Robinhood is full of young people trading less than 10 shares at a time for entertainment. They are like play accounts. I wouldn't use their trade data for anything. Most of them have no clue what they are doing and their accounts are not big enough to matter.
So, if wsb = 1M, and they use Robinhood, they all should buy and hodl 20 shares!

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Can’t they just close the stock market for a couple of months like everything else? Isn’t the stock market floor a place of mass gathering? Are the traders able to maintain three foot separation?
Traders do not have to be on trading floor. Technically NYSE is capable of remote trading. Stacey Cunningham, NYSE chief said if it's necessary.
What they should do is banning stock shorts for a period of time during world crisis event like this.

Maybe I should've said "little-est guy"? :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, I think the # of Robinhood users holding is a useful piece of data.

I've exited my position today, due to the USA not taking serious actions against coronavirus. Here in Europe, everything went to a halt and we have universal health care and countries took drastic measures. I can't imagine a health disaster in the USA in the next two or three weeks due to their private insurance healthcare system. It will be a clusterfuck.

I will however gradually buy back my position later.

For those that don't know much about the power of adding more people to the worldwide financial industry (especially those that don't have the werewithall previously to be in it)...

https://www.amazon.com/Fortune-Bottom-Pyramid-Eradicating-Poverty/dp/8177587765

I've been interested in social entrepreneurship for quite some time and find that the lack of access (across many systems of the world) is a direct reason why people stay poor. Kiva was a big start to this. Robinhood, I think, is another - though focused on the US. Access creates awareness and knowledge-building...which helps more to improve their own decision making over time and allow that to compound to themselves, who they talk to, and their future generations.

It's a similar concept to what Tesla is trying to do by reducing the cost of transportation significantly to allow for more participation.

Edited Note: With further changes from climate change occurring (including infectious diseases), it's going to require cheaper alternatives for participation to keep economies nimble and going in a positive direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Tesla deliveries in Europe - here is what I know from Norway:

Delivered the last few days:

09.03.2020: 71
10.03.2020: 35
11.03.2020: 34
12.03.2020: 21
13.03.2020: 2
14.03.2020: 0
15.03.2020: 0 (so far today)

This info is from https://teslastats.no/

Yesterday a ship with Teslas arrived in Drammen outside Oslo.

In general shops and business go on as normal in Norway with the exeption of restaurants, pubs, hairdressers and others where many people usually gather. People are encouraged to work from home and in general stay at home and don't travel or mingle. Shopping centres are open but many have reduced their opening hours.

I don't know any particulars on how Tesla is handling this.

In a Norwegian forum someone waiting for their TM3 said they got a letter from Tesla stating that in one Service Center deliveries may be slower than usual because 50% of the delivery team in Drammen is quarantined. But that they are taking measures to compensate.

So then we know they are delivering cars (almost) as normal in Norway.

I have heard this rumor too. It would be a good move. Americans still don’t get it.

The governor of California finally put an order out.

On Friday night - all the bars and restaurants in San Francisco were still totally full. 2 hour wait at some of them. I was shocked.

On a sad note - I had a factory tour at Fremont schedule for March 25th, which Tesla cancelled. Said to check back in May to re-schedule. I wanted to see those Y's!

In a Norwegian forum someone waiting for their TM3 said they got a letter from Tesla stating that in one Service Center deliveries may be slower than usual because 50% of the delivery team in Drammen is quarantined. But that they are taking measures to compensate.

So then we know they are delivering cars (almost) as normal in Norway.
There are about 1300 infected cases in the entire Norway. 50% of Tesla delivery team are under quarantine? A link to credible source is more helpful