Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No second market halt yet. We got somewhat close to the 13% trigger but never hit it.

They don't want to hit the circuit breaker if they can help it because then they can't suck up any more shares at low prices.

I see an unfortunate rotation of ownership happening, right out of the hands of the little guy and into the deep the pockets of the big guys. And they are getting a very substantial discount to the over $2 billion they bought recently at $746/share. And Tesla still has that cash in their coffers. Now that is the kind of management you want to work for you!

Why do low share prices freak out some people so much? Don't they know it will only be a matter of time before the price gets bid up again? This is how markets work.

They don't want to hit the circuit breaker if they can help it because then they can't suck up any more shares at low prices.

I see an unfortunate rotation of ownership happening, right out of the hands of the little guy and into the deep the pockets of the big guys. And they are getting a very substantial discount to the over $2 billion they bought recently at $746/share. And Tesla still has that cash in their coffers. Now that is the kind of management you want to work for you!

Why do low share prices freak out some people so much? Don't they know it will only be a matter of time before the price gets bid up again? This is how markets work.

Actually, look at Robintrack right now:

robintrack 2.jpg

We're almost back to June 2019 levels of Robinhood investors in TSLA, so the little guy is taking advantage of this dip. I suspect it's more likely that delta hedgers like Renaissance have been unloading a lot of shares to the benefit of 'the little guy'.

The European markets are trading, with TSLA having briefly dipped below 400€.

Also, IB is getting real sluggish...

PS. TSLA back at 420€, a dozen other car makers also in deep red, FCA down 22% today...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Thank goodness for the capital raise or this might be an existential risk for TSLA.

As it stands though, I have a small business and a Model 3. The next months are likely to set me back a year or two from a personal wealth perspective. The debt I'm going to need to take on to sustain myself during this upcoming time will likely take the Model Y I'd been planning on in 3-4 years off the table. Small business are the engine of the economy and I can imagine a lot of people in my position won't be able to make up lost ground very quickly.

I can see very large headwinds coming for the entire economy, not from the virus, but from our (necessary) responses to it. Tesla should be well-positioned to charge into the future, but it could be a rough few years.

It is refreshing to see a small business owner here and I can totally relate to your observations about the small business economy. It is painful to read all these people who think "someone" will still do all services for them as needed and they could just sit home watch Netflix and collect a paycheck from the employer on time.

I don't see drop in demand. I would expect a rise in demand.

Tesla has long stated that Americans do not like to ride together. That is why they don't design for car pools. People don't do it.

On a China business call a coworker stated that the US does not have a lot of mass transit, so there is already more social distance than most places. Tesla vehicles provide even more social distance as they avoid gas stations by charging in the garage.

I looked at this picture after listening to the coworker talk about mass transit:View attachment 522329

Tesla's strategy seems sound in an ever more dystopian world.

Google search obtained:

Does Seattle have good public transit?
Seattle has the third best commute times via mass transit. Seattle ranks third for public transportation resources. Seattle ranks third for safety and reliability. Seattle ranks seventh for accessibility and convenience.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Actually, look at Robintrack right now:

View attachment 522336

We're almost back to June 2019 levels of Robinhood investors in TSLA, so the little guy is taking advantage of this dip. I suspect it's more likely that delta hedgers like Renaissance have been unloading a lot of shares to the benefit of 'the little guy'.

Robinhood still exists?

I don't believe that Robinhood is a good proxy (for the little guy). Robinhood is full of young people trading less than 10 shares at a time for entertainment. They are like play accounts. I wouldn't use their trade data for anything. Most of them have no clue what they are doing and their accounts are not big enough to matter.

I'm really not adding much here, but most swings of TSLA recover quickly... except the whole ship is sinking. Lifeboats anyone?

I'm still holding 400 shares and one contract. I knew today would happen from Futures last night but I'm sitting tight for now. Anyone who calls the bottom is likely wrong. So buy on the way down sounds good, but what if this is a sustained 2-yr bear market as in past recessions? Would that change your buying, considering that a return may not happen anytime soon? I might consider a few more end of the month, but even that might be short-lived by some additional FUD on Q2 demand which I fully expect.

Then again, if Tesla is the only bright spot on the market, it could become the new gold as soon at Apr 1st, which is why I'm still in.

My SPY puts are up nicely (unfortunately), tsla options are obviously in the toilet so I picked up a new one for Jan 2021. IMO, now that solar roof is hitting 1k a week I think the demand for that will offset any weakness in auto. Plus all the stimulus money flooding around might encourage some companies to invest in grid storage, solar, etc. while money is free to borrow.

On the general consumer side I think this will push even more consumers into wanting to be self sufficient. Home solar, battery backup, and an EV and you can completely insulate yourself from grid problems or gas shortages. On top of that rates are basically at all time lows, so people with money to spend may take advantage of that.