Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chanos on CNBC on TSLA right now. "Still max short. One of my favorite positions" "It's a car company, they will lose money again this year and next year" "Building more capacity at the wrong time"

They apparently have to cover at 5% but then will short again if they still like the move.

He keeps saying "It's a car company". It's amazing how much he doesn't understand about the company. Even the host is pushing back on him a bit.

he also called tesla a fraud

amazing what these a-holes get away with

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Andrew Left is short TSLA and long Luckin Coffee

https://money.usnews.com/investing/...-60-on-us-exchanges-hedge-fund-citron-capital

giphy-downsized.gif

I don't get the market reaction to TSLA at all. Are they just now figuring out that the economy is tanking and that Fremont has been shut down for over a week?
Price action for Tsla is probably driven by the option market than anything. So far I have concluded that the sp acts in a random fashion probably determined by money makers. NASDAQ +5% Tesla is down. NASDAQ -2% and Tesla is up 8%. Yeah it's total nonsense right now and I wouldn't try to explain the sp based on any real news.

Reactions: Thumper
I don't get the market reaction to TSLA at all. Are they just now figuring out that the economy is tanking and that Fremont has been shut down for over a week?
A few below average volume days in a row plus coordinated share price attacks tied to a scheduled Chanos appearance on CNBC. I'm actually surprised TSLA has show this much resilience. In years past, the market would gasp in horror and sell.

Remember, these 5% share drops on very low volume are mostly orchestrated and will snap back the moment a positive deliveries report is out. In other words, just because we dropped $50 in the last 2-3 days doesn't mean the $50-80 we were going to gain on a major deliveries beat is lowered by $50. My feeling is we'll rise from the $510 mark, not where we are now.

A few below average volume days in a row plus coordinated share price attacks tied to a scheduled Chanos appearance on CNBC. I'm actually surprised TSLA has show this much resilience. In years past, the market would gasp in horror and sell.

Remember, these 5% share drops on very low volume are mostly orchestrated and will snap back the moment a positive deliveries report is out. In other words, just because we dropped $50 in the last 2-3 days doesn't mean the $50-80 we were going to gain on a major deliveries beat is lowered by $50. My feeling is we'll rise from the $510 mark, not where we are now.

I don't really agree that this drop is insignificant. We need around a 15% move just to get close to 550 and that number keeps getting bigger. While a positive P/D report would probably take us back to 500's, I don't see it putting us solidly above 600 anymore........which is exactly what this manipulation had intended. Not really much of a risk of shorting when you can easily get the share price down 15% to create a buffer to protect your short position.

Edit: Now we need a 20% move.

Last edited:
$580 calls for tomorrow @ $.20 seems like a decent deal to me.

I'm so board right now I'm actually playing with short term calls. Well, we'll see how it goes I suppose.

• Funny
Reactions: Rammstein
I don't really agree that this drop is insignificant. We need around a 15% move just to get close to 550 and that number keeps getting bigger. While a positive P/D report would probably take us back to 500's, I don't see it putting us solidly above 600 anymore........which is exactly what this manipulation had intended. Not really much of a risk of shorting when you can easily get the share price down 15% to create a buffer to protect your short position.

I'm pretty ambivalent about whether it goes up or down before P&D. The way I see it, this move down just reduces the very real chance that the market might react poorly to even a relatively strong P&D report.

Tesla's last 4 P&D announcements:

Q4 2019 - Jan 3rd Friday before market open (~8:15 AM ET)
Q3 2019 - Oct 2nd Wednesday after close (~4:30 PM)
Q2 2019 - July 2nd Tuesday after close (~4:15 PM)
Q1 2019 - April 3rd Wednesday after close (~8:00 PM)

Source: Electrek posts
Thanks for the information. I think we will see the P&D report today at about 4:30pm.
Q1 2019 had the logistics nightmare and I am sure Tesla was taking their time to count every car and took time to carefully word their report. Q2 and Q3 were on day 2 and Q4 was also 2 business days as Jan 1 was a holiday.
Polishing my F5 key now:D