Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GREEN !

upload_2020-4-28_5-55-43.png

"Model Y E27: Rear Suspension, Signs of Air Suspension to Come, and Rear EDM Summary Munro Live"

BTW, a Model Y reservation holder from Ontario, Canada said they were contacted by Tesla asking if they would be able to take delivery of their 7-seat Model Y in Q2.

Sounds like Tesla has been busy upgrading Fremont / Seat production equipment during the downtime. Remember, the 7-seat option is an extremely popular / highly ordered option, and its quite likely a very profitable option for about $3,500

In Canada, the 7-seat option also unlocks the higher MSRP threshold for the Federal EV subsidy (vs a 5-seater like Model 3), so I expect the take-rate (at least in Canada) to be very high indeed. It's "Free seats", plus enough extra to pay for a choice of paint colour.

Model Y is gonna be a huge hit in Canada, what with that heat pump goodness and all... :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Model 3 beats Zoe in Europe 2020 YTD!

EUR.jpg

EV Sales: Europe March 2020
That's a nice result if those figures are accurate. I do wonder how the e-Golf managed 3rd when they haven't been making them for a while now. Were there that many ex demo cars around? I went to a local dealer back in February and they only had two tatty demo cars left.

That's a nice result if those figures are accurate. I do wonder how the e-Golf managed 3rd when they haven't been making them for a while now. Were there that many ex demo cars around? I went to a local dealer back in February and they only had two tatty demo cars left.

I read somewhere that the production of e-Golf was extended until September or thereabouts since the production of ID3 was delayed.

I read somewhere that the production of e-Golf was extended until September or thereabouts since the production of ID3 was delayed.
Ah that would explain it then. That says something about how confident VW were about getting the software sorted anytime soon.
All those ID3s sitting in fields rotting away...

• Funny
Reactions: saniflash
BTW, a Model Y reservation holder from Ontario, Canada said they were contacted by Tesla asking if they would be able to take delivery of their 7-seat Model Y in Q2.

Sounds like Tesla has been busy upgrading Fremont / Seat production equipment during the downtime. Remember, the 7-seat option is an extremely popular / highly ordered option, and its quite likely a very profitable option for about $3,500

In Canada, the 7-seat option also unlocks the higher MSRP threshold for the Federal EV subsidy (vs a 5-seater like Model 3), so I expect the take-rate (at least in Canada) to be very high indeed. It's "Free seats", plus enough extra to pay for a choice of paint colour.

Model Y is gonna be a huge hit in Canada, what with that heat pump goodness and all... :p
Cheers!

I highly doubt the first person they would offer a 7 seat interior to would be in Canada. As this is just a person stating this online with no evidence other than “they told me this on the phone” I’m inclined to dismiss it. Add to that, there is no incentive for Tesla to begin delivering the 7 seater in Canada unless they also start shipping the SR+, as the current LR variant will not qualify for the rebate:
  • a vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;

the comments indicate that Tesla will move forward with temporary permits.

Not much news about GF4. They can't break ground without a preliminary permit about the foundation. I expect that to come in soon as all responsible are positive.

Economy Minister Brandenburg Steinbach said, The project is well underway.

Alex on Twitter

Green has found code in the source that points toward an FSD pay-as-you-go subscription model: Tesla has hidden pay-as-you-go FSD subscription plan in source code - Drive Tesla Canada

Would Tesla be able to recognize subscriptions as revenue immediately?

I don't see why they wouldn't, as long as the feature is otherwise up to snuff to qualify it's backlog of revenue.

however, I hope this doesn't turn into a "those who bought FSD before X date is the cut off to bundle purchase, everyone else has to a subscription." like they did with Supercharging for a bit. At least, before I can buy my baby.

At the same time, is this hidden feature a "loan" of FSD, as in you'll eventually pay it off, or a full on subscription that'll never have an end date?

Green has found code in the source that points toward an FSD pay-as-you-go subscription model: Tesla has hidden pay-as-you-go FSD subscription plan in source code - Drive Tesla Canada

I'm surprised. I didn't think it made sense for a growth company like Tesla to offer FSD subscriptions. Perhaps the disadvantage of less up-front cash is outweighed by potentially more customers and more data.

And before you say that Tesla has plenty cash, yes they do. However, once Tesla Network launches Tesla will want to buy as many of its own cars as it can afford to, because the ROI on an investment in a robotaxi is absurd.

To add to that, @verygreen says in the article the code has been in there over a year, no recent changes.
Subscriptions would be pure revenue as they pass any refund period (minus any data/ HW upgrade costs)

I'm surprised. I didn't think it made sense for a growth company like Tesla to offer FSD subscriptions. Perhaps the disadvantage of less up-front cash is outweighed by potentially more customers and more data.

And before you say that Tesla has plenty cash, yes they do. However, once Tesla Network launches Tesla will want to buy as many of its own cars as it can afford to, because the ROI on an investment in a robotaxi is absurd.

Reoccurring income is king!

I welcome this. I own fsd on my x as a tip to Tesla for the profits I earned. Prior to that I had wished it was a sub because $7,000 is quite a bit for a Model 3/Y buyer.

Let people get into better cars (putting that $7,000 into AWD or white seats or whatever), and pay when they want fsd.

I know many really love navigate on AP during road trips, but do not really need FSD on their short daily commute. May as well extract those dollars.

IHME model just updated

Projects containment phase to start May 20.

Monday June 1 should be absolute latest Fremont restarts.

View attachment 536656
The IHME containment strategy criteria are extremely conservative : infection levels of 0.0001%. And Cali wants to wait even longer?

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and flabellina
Reoccurring income is king!

I welcome this. I own fsd on my x as a tip to Tesla for the profits I earned. Prior to that I had wished it was a sub because $7,000 is quite a bit for a Model 3/Y buyer.

Let people get into better cars (putting that $7,000 into AWD or white seats or whatever), and pay when they want fsd.

I know many really love navigate on AP during road trips, but do not really need FSD on their short daily commute. May as well extract those dollars.
There are a number of advantages to a subscription model:
  • Recurring income
  • Makes it less expensive for Tesla owners to trade up to a new Tesla as they do not have to repurchase FSD
  • Makes it less expensive for existing Tesla owners that do not have FSD to upgrade to FSD (and hence more likely)
  • Makes it less expensive for people that buy a used Tesla to upgrade to FSD (and hence more likely)
  • Allows Tesla to have different service charges. In particular to differentiate use of FSD as part of Tesla Network/Robotaxi
  • Simplifies options both for a new purchase and for used Teslas
This year, as FSD really becomes feature complete and starts to mature, is probably a good time for a move to a subscription model.