Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take on earnings:

Financial results were solid, but pretty much exactly in line with what I expected if you exclude the $200M in additional credits sales. I had read through the ER before I looked at the SP, and I was expecting it to most likely be between $850 and $900, maybe $900+, because I expected the market react positively to the net income beat, even though it's largely attributable to credits sales. This turned out to be spot on.

Other than that there were a few negatives and a few positives that stood out to me in both the report and during the call:

Negatives:
  • FCF was quite a bit worse than I expected. I knew the increase in inventory would have a negative impact, but I was still expecting about break even, rather than almost negative $1B. I'm not worried about Tesla's cash position though, so I don't care too much about this.
  • It appears as if Fremont is going to cap at 500k 3+Y per year. I was expecting/hoping they'd go up to 750k. It sounds like they believe long term M3 demand in North America might be 200-250k, and MY demand about double. So I now expect Fremont to do 5k/week of each, and a 2nd Giga in USA to produce an additional 5k/week MY.
  • Looks like the near term Shanghai production target is 4k/week rather than the 5k/week I anticipated.
  • The answer to my Solar Roof question was a little disappointing. I was secretly hoping for more ambitious targets after seeing the 1k/week production tweet last month, but it sounds like Solar Roof will only reach 1k/week installations by late 2020 or early 2021, and perhaps 2k/week by the end of 2021. The long term potential seems great, but it sounds like Tesla does not have enough resources to ramp this product as fast as its automotive products.

Positives:
  • Elon continues to be very bullish about FSD on every call. He is only barely walking back some of the targets he set out during the Autonomy investor day. Sounds like he expects somewhere in between feature complete and hands-off this year, and hands-off robotaxis next year. Although I don't believe this will happen, his comments make me want to be very bullish on "safer than a human" FSD in at least some geographical regions in the 2022/2023 time frame.
  • An increase in order backlog both for automotive and battery storage, in spite of COVID-19, is a very strong sign. I remain quite optimistic about Tesla achieving at least 500k vehicle deliveries this year. If the Fremont shut down is extended by another month, that could cut it quite close, but these are great signals about demand nonetheless. I also like the way they're handling guidance. Happiness = Reality - Expectations seems to be their motto as of right now.
  • The hype around battery day remains as strong as ever. "The best day in Tesla's history". And it sounds like the Gigafactory in Texas will be exclusively for battery production.
  • Another Gigafactory announcement within 1-3 months is almost just as much hype. I took it as being a different factory than the battery Gigafactory in Texas, probably the Eastern USA factory for Cybertruck and Model Y we've been hearing rumors about.
  • Elon's answer to the 50% growth rate and 4M+ in 2025 and 20M+ in 2030 was also very positive to me. Although I personally was already expecting ~4-5M by 2025, and by 2030 12M+ in a worst case and 20M+ in a best case, Elon more-or-less confirming this bodes well for Tesla's internal long term aspirations.
All in all, a solid earnings. Nothing too unexpected financially, and as always some negatives and some positives. I'd rank this as a slightly better earnings than Q4'19, but a lot worse than Q3'19. In my opinion, Tesla's Q3'19 ER still ranks as the best in its now almost 10 year history as a public company.

If anything, this is probably elons chess 4d way of selling cybertrucks to trumpers

I think it is right only in the sense of how the broken window at the Cybertruck reveal turned out to be right... i.e it is not intentional but sometimes even Elon's missteps turn out well, and that is a sign of true genus.

Looking at why people buy Tesla cars today:-
  • Agree with Telsa's mission (including me)
  • Like to drive a nice car with good handing and performance (including me)
  • Personal fan of Elon (I like Elon, but does not affect buying decisions)
Looking at my people don't buy Tesla's
  • Don't like the mission - or change more generally.
  • Don't like Elon
  • Perceive Tesla as left wing or California
  • Think EVs are not real cars..
The Cybertruck in general and this blow up are going to flip some from the "don't buy" camp into the "buy" camp.
I don't think that is what Elon intends any more than he intended the broken window at the Cybertruck reveal.

Let's face it Elon is very smart, very driven, and does a lot of great things, he isn't perfect and he doesn't get everything right. But I've never seen anyone so able to learn from their mistakes and turn mistakes around into a net positive... part of that is never giving up and part is attention to detail...

Even though I accept Elon is partially wrong in his messaging, we have to accept him for what he is, and also accept that Tesla will win in the end regardless.

Last edited:
Do you model recurring revenues? I don't think we have much visibility into the uptake of cellular data subscriptions. Very few Model 3's come with free data (for very long). Our first Model 3 came with 4 years of free premium connectivity (I think). But the majority of Model 3's only came with 1 year for free. I subscribed last fall and $10 comes off my credit card every month until I cancel. Of course, I never will because I like the streaming movies, music, and satellite maps. Ten bucks is not much by itself but over the entire fleet (times the adoption rate), this has to add up to some nice recurring revenues. That's $30/quarter times the number of subscribers.

I'm guessing well over half have subscribed rather than give up the streaming services.

I don't model this as of right now. Even if it's $10-20M per quarter, it's too small for now and doesn't really make my model more accurate as of this time in my opinion.

My take on earnings:

Financial results were solid, but pretty much exactly in line with what I expected if you exclude the $200M in additional credits sales. I had read through the ER before I looked at the SP, and I was expecting it to most likely be between $850 and $900, maybe $900+, because I expected the market react positively to the net income beat, even though it's largely attributable to credits sales. This turned out to be spot on.

Other than that there were a few negatives and a few positives that stood out to me in both the report and during the call:

• The answer to my Solar Roof question was a little disappointing. I was secretly hoping for more ambitious targets after seeing the 1k/week production tweet last month, but it sounds like Solar Roof will only reach 1k/week installations by late 2020 or early 2021, and perhaps 2k/week by the end of 2021. The long term potential seems great, but it sounds like Tesla does not have enough resources to ramp this product as fast as its automotive products.
All in all, a solid earnings. Nothing too unexpected financially, and as always some negatives and some positives. I'd rank this as a slightly better earnings than Q4'19, but a lot worse than Q3'19. In my opinion, Tesla's Q3'19 ER still ranks as the best in its now almost 10 year history as a public company.

Solar roof I think Q1 is seasonal bad for Solar installs Q2 and Q3 should be better.

It also takes time to train installation teams and ramp this up, form now on there sold be a trend of growth most quarters except for Q1 2021.

Q2 earnings is very tricky to call at present, the Solar Roof or energy storage can make a more substantial contribution Q2/Q3, but wether than helps make the Q2 numbers look good is anyone's guess.

Taking out COVID-19 and Fremont being closed, Q1 is a very strong result, and the long term trend is all in the right direction.

Part of me honestly thinks Elon is hoping the breakthrough numbers for TSLA will cover for his personal rant.

It's just that the media doesn't work like that and Elon is perpetually clueless about it. Jeff Bezos doesn't even show up for AMZN earnings calls for very good reasons.

The media should always be treated like the enemy. As long as Elon never figures this out, we'll still have things like this. And it is not good for employees, shareholders, or the people of planet Earth when Elon plays straight into the hands of the media with stupid things like this.

I wish someone, anyone, Peter Thiel, Larry Ellison, Mark Cuban, Larry Page, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, somebody would pull Elon aside and tell him how it is. You are not helping yourself, your company, or humanity by doing stuff like calling random people pedophiles and ranting about fascism. Stop doing it. I don't care if you're right or not. No one cares. You are your own worst enemy here, and the media is always salivating for a chance to bury you.

I’m so sick of people ranting about how Elon runs his company. Tesla is where it is (and you’ve made as much money off of TSLA as you have) because of how Elon runs Tesla. So please give it a rest because it’s getting really old.

Not disagreeing with the fact this is unecessary on Elon's part, but go tell that to my parents back in France who got fined last week for taking a drive to go and fix their other property.

Just spoke with someone (ex-cop) today from the coast, police there are actively looking for order offenders and handing out fines. Same person told me a private contractor acquaintance got pulled over in his work truck on the way to a job - also got fined and told to go home.

Just spoke with someone (ex-cop) today from the coast, police there are actively looking for order offenders and handing out fines. Same person told me a private contractor acquaintance got pulled over in his work truck on the way to a job - also got fined and told to go home.

Just to be clear, I am happy with the way Larry Hogan has handled the situation in Maryland, but I'm surprised fines are all you're getting on the West coast. Things seem to be a bit more serious here: MD State Police on Twitter

"
As of yesterday afternoon, since 3/24 police across #Maryland had conducted 16,822 compliance checks, responded to 1,296 calls for service related to compliance with the Executive Order of
@GovLarryHogan
and arrested/charged 28 people for violation of that order.
@MDMEMA
"

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
How valid an indicator are Troy's order tracking spreadsheets?

For example, as a forward indicator of Q2 sales and demand at this point in time.

upload_2020-4-30_11-8-15.png

upload_2020-4-30_11-8-23.png

I do realise that April 2020 still has one day to go. I haven't posted Model S/X because the volume in the spreadsheet is too low to be reliable.

Please don't hurt me for posting something that potentially has a bearish tone. I'm only asking the question, and a perfectly acceptable answer is: "No, they're not, and this is why..." ;)

Source of data:
Teslike Model 3 Survey #4
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker

How valid an indicator are Troy's order tracking spreadsheets?

For example, as a forward indicator of Q2 sales and demand at this point in time.

View attachment 537321

View attachment 537322

I do realise that April 2020 still has one day to go. I haven't posted Model S/X because the volume in the spreadsheet is too low to be reliable.

Please don't hurt me for posting something that potentially has a bearish tone. I'm only asking the question, and a perfectly acceptable answer is: "No, they're not, and this is why..." ;)

Source of data:
Teslike Model 3 Survey #4
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker
@Krugerrand I think he is questioning demand.

I hope he can get a grip on himself. He's entitled to his positions, but I wanted to hear news about Tesla's first quarter and the outlook for the future, not Elon railing against the current methodology of fighting this pandemic.

I gotta tell ya, this makes me concerned about battery day...

You DID hear 57 minutes of things you wanted to hear about and a lousy 3 minutes about something you didn’t.

Don’t exaggerate and make it out to be something than it was. You’re better than that. Right?

Yep the Santa Clara valley used to be the predominant manufacturer of Hard Disk Drives. Almost all of it was moved out of the US in the 1990s. Whole factories of equipment were packed up and relocated.

Get real, please. Current average salary in Ho Chi Minh $148/mo, highly paid professionals make around $500/mo.
Back in the '90's when your regulation free utopia was created, workers were making less than $1/day. They moved manufacturing from the USA to achieve fantastic profits at the expense of American manufacturing capability.