Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WARNING!! WARNING!!! I purchased 1000 shares AH around 883, anticipating a short squeeze tomorrow, and more institutional buying. This guarantees a drop in the SP until I get Margin called, or panic sell. You have been warned! :confused:

Now if you had bought those 1000 shares 41 days ago when I bought my last shares you would be up over half a million dollars by now! ;)

To me it sounded like more of a 'lease' option? It sounded like it'd be paid off within a few years rather than a long term paid subscription?

Did anyone else get this impression, or just me?
I thought he said both would be options. When you buy a Tesla, you can buy FSD and roll it into your car loan. If you already own a Tesla without FSD, you can add it as a monthly subscription.

Reactions: ByeByeJohnny
You DID hear 57 minutes of things you wanted to hear about and a lousy 3 minutes about something you didn’t.

Don’t exaggerate and make it out to be something than it was. You’re better than that. Right?
It's not what I heard, it's what every damn article will start with tomorrow (some already), not about Tesla's success, but it's CEO calling the response to the pandemic "fascist," as well as using cuss words. Not appropriate for the conference call IMHO.

And maybe I'm not better than that, but Elon should have been.

I’m so sick of people ranting about how Elon runs his company. Tesla is where it is (and you’ve made as much money off of TSLA as you have) because of how Elon runs Tesla. So please give it a rest because it’s getting really old.
What exactly the hell do Elon's personal opinions about the coronavirus have to do with Tesla, and what exactly is relevant to Tesla during their goddamned earnings call that makes it an ideal platform for Elon to express those opinions? Suffice it to say that a person's individual opinions don't have anything to do with how he runs his company, and you conflating these things is a sign you don't understand this.

Elon is entitled to his opinions, whether they be right or wrong, and he has the same right to express his opinions as anyone else, but what makes him think the Tesla quarterly earnings call is the best time for him to be expressing them? Do you also agree that Elon should be calling random people pedophiles? Do you understand that this sort of thing is not productive for the goals he has set for himself and his company and for humanity?

I don't even think Elon is wrong. I think he has a very good point, and as someone who actually grew up in South Africa he has more experience with government authoritarianism than any of us would ever imagine. But come on. This is a really stupid unforced error. For someone who has a reputation for thinking with first principles, surely he must see that this is straight up unproductive. I don't really know.

Get real, please. Current average salary in Ho Chi Minh $148/mo, highly paid professionals make around $500/mo.
Back in the '90's when your regulation free utopia was created, workers were making less than $1/day. They moved manufacturing from the USA to achieve fantastic profits at the expense of American manufacturing capability.

My answer was a response to do factories move out of California.

Yes sir everything but the buildings and people.

Could Tesla move the equipment in Fremont to a more friendly environment.

I suspect most of it could be moved.

Just spoke with someone (ex-cop) today from the coast, police there are actively looking for order offenders and handing out fines. Same person told me a private contractor acquaintance got pulled over in his work truck on the way to a job - also got fined and told to go home.
So, *gasp* Elon was right!

What exactly the hell do Elon's personal opinions about the coronavirus have to do with Tesla, and what exactly is relevant to Tesla during their goddamned earnings call that makes it an ideal platform for Elon to express those opinions? Suffice it to say that a person's individual opinions don't have anything to do with how he runs his company, and you conflating these things is a sign you don't understand this.

Elon is entitled to his opinions, whether they be right or wrong, and he has the same right to express his opinions as anyone else, but what makes him think the Tesla quarterly earnings call is the best time for him to be expressing them? Do you also agree that Elon should be calling random people pedophiles? Do you understand that this sort of thing is not productive for the goals he has set for himself and his company and for humanity?

I don't even think Elon is wrong. I think he has a very good point, and as someone who actually grew up in South Africa he has more experience with government authoritarianism than any of us would ever imagine. But come on. This is a really stupid unforced error. For someone who has a reputation for thinking with first principles, surely he must see that this is straight up unproductive. I don't really know.

So Elon challenging the authorities that are keeping his company closed has nothing to do with how he runs Tesla. Ok bud

Is anyone else a little confused by Tesla's use of 4 MW as the barometer for 1000 solar roofs/week? That implies a 4 kW / roof allotment, which is...definitely too small. Looking at the orders I've seen in various local and worldwide Tesla groups I'm in, the average order seems to be more like double that amount. My own roof, which is pretty small (has 30 traditional panels on it and is completely covered, north end and all), Tesla quotes out at 5.5 kW for a solar roof, 37.5% above their assumed average target size. I've seen solar roofs quoted above 15 kW for large homes.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying this? Elon is still the CEO of Tesla, that was one thing they wouldn't give-in to the SEC on. (What he is no longer is the Chairman of the Board of Directors.)

OOPS ... ok ... I'll stand corrected on that. I honestly couldn't remember what the settlement included with the SEC ....

In any case, I still wish he was more measured when responding on the calls but that's not who he is ... oh well.

Cheers to the longs.

Nobody is waiting until there is a vaccine. California is doing a phased opening based on getting testing, PPE, etc ramped up to support all these businesses that will be opening. It doesn't seem unreasonable after i read it. Definitely not "fascist"

Coronavirus: California Gov. Gavin Newsom has 4-stage reopen plan

Except that Mr Newsom also is willing to allow the 6 Bay Area counties (including the one where Fremont factory is located) to do their own thing. In this case a more stringent plan with the shelter at home order being extended to June 1 now and NO clear time line when the majority of new unemployed can try to get a job again. That’s 10 solid weeks of no income for a lot people.

The orders don’t actually affect me much, so I can roll with it. And now that toilet paper finally showed up in my local store after not seeing a roll for close to six weeks, I’m real good.

But Elon’s exactly right. There are people losing everything they’ve worked hard for their entires lives. The private contractor I hired to do my renos is one such person. I texted him last week just to let him know the minute he can work, he can count on my job. He was so appreciative to hear that from me.

Then there’s my massage therapist. Same boat and no idea when they can work again. Not cool.

This has everything to do with Tesla. They can’t open their factory because some assholes in the Bay Area are not being reasonable. I for one am glad Elon is standing up to these self righteous pricks. He’s trying to influence public opinion to get the economy going again. This makes sense to me because a depression will cause way more deaths than covid19.

So Elon challenging the authorities that are keeping his company closed has nothing to do with how he runs Tesla. Ok bud

Last I checked governments are elected by the people for the people, and 80% of Americans support the SIP measures to suppress the spread and a similar number express willingness for measures to extend through the middle of May according to this survey. If he had a concrete plan to submit to the authorities we should have heard about it with this ER as the substance of his protest, not childish rants about facism and political bromides.

I just listened to the call, and Elon’s comments on the lockdown seem to come from a far deeper place than just frustration over Fremont’s shutdown. It’s really a strong libertarian principled objection. America the free.

I’m not exposed to many libertarians in my social circles, but there are many very serious people out there that think like Elon. We may not agree with them, but we should certainly listen to them and not dismiss them.

Does it hurt TSLA or Tesla that the CEO is an outspoken libertarian? Not likely under any circumstances, but even less likely until there is real competition for Tesla’s products.

Of course the media will exploit Musk’s outspokenness to get more clicks. Shorts will latch on in a desperate attempt to regain the narrative. But folks, Tesla is doing amazingly well, and TSLA will reflect that.