Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is interest in TSLA doing over on Robinhood ?
My thoughts on the matter really don't fit with how everyone else envisions V2G. I don't see Tesla putting the inverter in the car and making everyone pay for something many are not going to use. It will be 10 years before many states allow V2G. First those utilities and states will want to figure out a way to back charge for usage on the grid (taxes)... but I digress.

I think Tesla will offer a home charger that has the inverter in it. Basically a Powerwall without the batteries that can charge the car or use the car to power the house. It will come off the DC side of the car which bypasses the charger in the car. That would take the expense out of the car. It could also offer 24kW DC charging to the car.

I personalty am not interested in V2G. In my city my utility will never allow it. I honesty do not want to pay for an inverter I will never use. Now if Tesla keeps the car at the same price or cheaper I really don't care.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
upload_2020-5-21_6-36-6.png

Yesterday from Electrek: Tesla installs more production robots at Fremont factory - Electrek

Tesla is installing more production robots at its Fremont factory in order to increase capacity, according to new construction permits.
Electrek found new building permit applications for “MINO Equipment and fixture anchorage” and “MINO robot riser anchorage structural package”...

The equipment is coming from MINO Automation, a company that specializes in automation production systems.

According to their website, they mainly focus on Body In White (BIW) Production Systems:

• Resistance Welding Systems
  • Body Framing Systems
  • Laser Application Systems
  • Sealing Systems
  • Hemming Systems
  • Automated Transfer Systems
MINO’s automation solutions work with Fanuc robots, which Tesla has been using for years.

what date is tesla annual meeting?
Not set yet. Usually in June, but because of Coronavirus, most states are allowing corporations to slip their Annual General Meetings, because the company by-laws often do not allow the meetings to be held electronically. A non-profit I'm on the board of had to cancel our AGM last month for this. Tesla is a Delaware Corporation, though, I'm not sure what Tesla's by-laws or Delaware law would say.

We need to consider the Robot-taxi fleet size, my estimate is 60 Million vehicles in 15-20 years time.
Say vehicles need new tires every 2nd year, that is 30 million vehicles x 4 tires = 120 Million tires per year.
Say Tesla can potentially achieve the following:- Recyclable tires, 30% longer lasting, $50 per tire saving...
$50 - includes, recycling, wholesale margins, retail margins, process improvements, economies of scale etc...
Recycling tires is about the hardest kind of recycling you can do. It's probably about 1000x battery recycling. There are a few plants that recycle tires now and the break even point is 500K tires/year--unless you are shipping them from non-local areas in which case it's a lot more. The reason there is not more tire recycling is that most areas don't have enough tires to recycle and make a profit. This is an area where there are no shortcuts. You have to shred the tires, melt the compounds off of them and sort the compounds (not always possible), separate the steel and purify itl for reuse.

The short lived tires we have now are because the tire manufacturers have put it in the public's mind that low profile tires with big wheels are cool--and they showed pictures of them whenever possible so that the public got used to that look. The original Michelin radial tires lasted an easy 70K miles and many were removed closer to 90K. Now 40-60K is considered good, and many tires don't make it that far.

I believe you're missing how expensive tire design is. It's about the same price as car design, but it's a whole different engineering discipline (means different skill sets). And it's a lot like medicine (as medicine is described in the Coronavirus thread) in that the chemistry isn't always obvious. I can see Tesla working with tire manufacturers (all the car manufacturers do this), but not having their own--at least not for several years.

Some people are making a mountain out of a molehill with respect to this latest stop-production. Don't get me wrong, I think CA is behaving very badly here and this is serious business with serious repercussions. But the fact is that Tesla had to stop production due to the a COVID-19 induced breakage of its supply chain. They continued making cars after the County tried to shut them down until they ran out of parts. Then they shut on their own accord.

The opening will likely be similar. They are already allowed to have 30% workforce on-site as long as precautions are taken. Musk will push hard and has been applying a lot of pressure in ways we don't even know about to move towards limited production (at first) and then full production. He's good at things like this and has spent the last couple of weeks laying the groundwork to make it harder for the County stand firm because they will only look increasingly foolish if they try to prevent progress towards re-opening.

Remember, while you and I were living life, engaging in premarital sex and partying, Elon Musk was studying the blade. He has a deep understanding of the Art of War and how these strange creatures called humans think and function. This is why I say people are making a mountain out of a molehill with regard to the stoppage. He will prevail as soon as the supply chain is robust enough and the optics are good enough (which is very soon). Meaning sometime in the middle of this month. Remember, Elon is not an ineffective leader who follows others while leaving a trail of blunders in his wake. He is successful for a reason and that reason has not changed.

Edit: This lawsuit, just announced, is the final blow that will get the County to cave in. I give it a week or less.

I'm wondering if the members who disagreed with the above post want to go back and edit their response. Not that I care about my rating (because I truly don't), but it might save some embarrassment for the three people who put their lack of vision on full public display. I would be willing to wager these are also three people who had sold off some or all of their shares at lower prices and were hoping that this fight with Alameda County would become a personal disaster for Elon and Tesla so they could repurchase their shares again for less than they had sold them.

It's interesting to note how human emotion intertwines with investors' perspectives. For example, simply hoping for a particular outcome is all it takes for a human to adjust their perception of the likelihood of that outcome happening. The more one wants a particular outcome, the more likely they judge the odds of it happening. This is not a hard and fast rule, just a modifier that tends to be true when emotions invariably enter into the picture. It's always bad for investor performance to let emotion enter the process and it's a knife that cuts both ways. I mean, an investor wanting their investment to soar is just as likely to not the see the negatives as a trader who wants back in at a lower price cannot see the positives.

Being objective when investing is at the crux of having superior returns. But it's not as simple as it sounds and thinking you are being objective does not mean you will be correct. Time and time again I have seen people appeal to reason while trying to make the case a stock has flown too high, too fast. Only to never see the stock return to lower levels. Investors also appeal to reason to make the case a stock is under-valued. Only to see the stock slowly drift to zero. Appealing to reason is not what makes superior investment returns, no, it's that thing that's hard to put one's finger on called "vision". This simply means being correct. And human emotion will always interfere with an investor's ability to be correct. And investors will almost always insist they are being rational when they are not.

I was in college and interviewed with Xerox PARC for an internship around '79. They sat me down at a fancy color terminal and showed me this device called a "mouse" and showed me how to navigate this thing they called a "desktop metaphor" and click and drag pictures around on the screen. So I clicked on a file cabinet icon and the drawer opened and I could drag a file across the screen from one cabinet to the other. The interviewer said: 'You just moved the file from Chicago to Palo Alto over this thing we call "Ethernet".'
I was there at PARC not too many months separated from when Steve Jobs went and saw the same stuff. The difference between him and me at the time was;
I looked and thought "oh that's kinda cool".
Jobs looked and thought "I can change the world with this".

I just had a similar feeling when I watched this presentation. FYI.

I was a few minutes away at SRI at the time. All the techies around me were playing with the "Ethernet" and figuring out how to use it with Darpanet. I still lived in blue screen and punchcards and thought IMS was the epitome of what could happen. Overnight, we all used Ethernet and we all used internet. Thanks of the beginning I still own a url with my name, another for my spouse and ones I gave to my nephews, who only figures out what they had ten years or so later. In the end, only a couple years later we discover LISP and built the first commercially deployed business application other than mineral exploration, or so we claimed.

That was a magical time for all of us then, was it not?

So many stories. Today IMHO the places to be are anything Elon, Microsoft/Amazon and any of dozens of the real innovators in genetics. I wish I were still young enough to be doing some of that.

OTOH, investing in the Musk world has plenty of that excitement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not set yet. Usually in June, but because of Coronavirus, most states are allowing corporations to slip their Annual General Meetings, because the company by-laws often do not allow the meetings to be held electronically. A non-profit I'm on the board of had to cancel our AGM last month for this. Tesla is a Delaware Corporation, though, I'm not sure what Tesla's by-laws or Delaware law would say.

As of 2012, there were few requirements in Tesla's Bylaws Amended and Restated Bylaws of Tesla Motors, Inc.:

"
2.2 ANNUAL MEETING

The annual meeting of stockholders shall be held on such date, at such time, and at such place (if any) within or without the State of Delaware as shall be designated from time to time by the board of directors and stated in the corporation’s notice of the meeting. At the annual meeting, directors shall be elected and any other proper business may be transacted.
"
Somewhere at sometime.

Edit: Delaware requires them every 13 months.. Delaware Code Title 8. Corporations § 211 | FindLaw
(c) A failure to hold the annual meeting at the designated time or to elect a sufficient number of directors to conduct the business of the corporation shall not affect otherwise valid corporate acts or work a forfeiture or dissolution of the corporation except as may be otherwise specifically provided in this chapter.  If the annual meeting for election of directors is not held on the date designated therefor or action by written consent to elect directors in lieu of an annual meeting has not been taken, the directors shall cause the meeting to be held as soon as is convenient.  If there be a failure to hold the annual meeting or to take action by written consent to elect directors in lieu of an annual meeting for a period of 30 days after the date designated for the annual meeting, or if no date has been designated, for a period of 13 months after the latest to occur of the organization of the corporation, its last annual meeting or the last action by written consent to elect directors in lieu of an annual meeting, the Court of Chancery may summarily order a meeting to be held upon the application of any stockholder or director.  The shares of stock represented at such meeting, either in person or by proxy, and entitled to vote thereat, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of such meeting, notwithstanding any provision of the certificate of incorporation or bylaws to the contrary.  The Court of Chancery may issue such orders as may be appropriate, including, without limitation, orders designating the time and place of such meeting, the record date or dates for determination of stockholders entitled to notice of the meeting and to vote thereat, and the form of notice of such meeting.

Last edited:
The tire industry is not as stodgy as the auto industry... Also the tires we have are significantly better than ever before. It doesn't look like low hanging fruit to me.
The advances in tires have been quite amazing, but most people do not notice. Admittedly some fo the most consequential advances have happened with industrial and mass market where the notable increases in longevity, weather adapability and extreme climate are taken for granted.