Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"State of land/air travel" report by Destination Analysts:

Update on American Travel in the Period of Coronavirus—Week of May 25th - Destination Analysts

• Air travel, non-private transportation and indoor attractions are seen as the least safe aspects of the common travel journey.
  • Younger travelers will very likely be key to many destinations’ and travel providers’ recovery.
Wave-11-Safety-of-Travel-Activities.jpg

Anyone know which type of cars that millenials prefer?

Rob (Tesla Daily) got invited to write articles for his own section at TheStreet.com. This should help increase exposure of quality Tesla information to a wider audience!

Announcement
Hi everyone,

Today, I have a very exciting announcement to make. TheStreet.com has decided to add Tesla Daily as a standalone page on their website at www.thestreet.com/tesladaily. It should go live around 1pm PST today, May 28. This is an additional medium and will not impact the podcast or YouTube videos in any way. I am still completely independent, with absolute control over my content. TheStreet will simply help get that content out to more people and give me a platform for additional content while growing the audience and network. I think this is going to lead to other great opportunities, as well.

This is another huge step forward in accomplishing the goal I have had from the start with Tesla Daily, get accurate and valuable information out to as many people as possible. Back in August last year, when I announced that I would be focusing on these projects full-time, I posted this:

"Podcast shareability and searchability are poor. We need content that can do more. I want to bring the same rational, authentic, anti-sensational, anti-clickbait mindset that I approach this podcast with every day to a broader audience through different mediums. I want to make a bigger impact. I want us to make a bigger impact."

The vision was clear, and I'm so excited to be able to move that vision forward one more step today. This move would not be possible without the incredible support on Patreon.

For some background on how this came to be, a few months ago a Tesla Daily listener who works with TheStreet reached out and asked if I might be interested in this partnership. He's been listening for a long time and that was very clear from our many conversations. Because of that, he completely understood my goals and my motivations, and how different those are from the norm. This was a huge factor for me. I was skeptical at first, I think we all know how I feel about mainstream media. After a lot of discussion, I realized how unique this opportunity was and how good of a fit it would be. Having the opportunity to remain completely independent while having a major publisher distribute my work to a broader audience is exactly what I didn't know I was looking for.

There's no catch here. TheStreet will make money from ads on my content and I'll get a cut. That's it, exactly like YouTube. I think you all know I'm not big on ads, but ads are the vessel that allows for broader distribution. If I didn't have YouTube ads turned on, YouTube would have no incentive to show more people my content because they would lose money on it. If I didn't agree to have ads on TheStreet site, well, they wouldn't be interested in my content. The podcast remains ad free, just like it has been from the start.

The other big thing here is that I can opt out at any time. If I don't like how it goes, it's done. We move on. As always, I welcome your feedback.

This is not the end of progress. There are always things happening behind the scenes here, always ideas flowing. I think we are just at the beginning of this journey. Again, I want to thank all of you. Without you, Tesla Daily would have died off. This hasn't been easy, and I thought about giving it up so many times over the years, but what kept me going was knowing how much it must mean to all of you to sacrifice your time and your money to support me.

Thanks for giving me a voice.

Talk soon,

Rob

Site is live: Tesla Daily

More information about it here:

"When are we launching the submarine car? Will it have leather?"

Actually, not funny. At all.

Try to be a smarter, better informed person than your parents:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Just thinking about the ramp in GF Shanghai it seems like it might be wide enough for 2-way travel.

Model Y's could travel down the ramp for loading, but equally car carriers could travel up the ramp pick up a load of Model Ys and bring them back down...

So the first time a Model Y leaves the factory building might be on the back on a car carrier, IMO that is smooth logistics..

It also seems the current staging area might not be big enough for the combined Model 3+Y volumes...

If Model 3s also travel up the ramp for parking/loading, they can build a similar multi-storey car park in the current Model 3 staging area.

Tesla never went with this option at Fremont, but GF Shanghai doesn't seem to have a lot of free space.. perhaps construction is cheaper in China.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Just thinking about the ramp in GF Shanghai it seems like it might be wide enough for 2-way travel.

Model Y's could travel down the ramp for loading, but equally car carriers could travel up the ramp pick up a load of Model Ys and bring them back down...

So the first time a Model Y leaves the factory building might be on the back on a car carrier, IMO that is smooth logistics..

It also seems the current staging area might not be big enough for the combined Model 3+Y volumes...

If Model 3s also travel up the ramp for parking/loading, they can build a similar multi-storey car park in the current Model 3 staging area.

Tesla never went with this option at Fremont, but GF Shanghai doesn't seem to have a lot of free space.. perhaps construction is cheaper in China.

I have wondered for quite some time why transport trailers are not being lined up at the factory gate. Teslas have been able to Summon into very tight garages for years now, so why can't they "Summon" themselves into a transport trailer when directed to do so at the factory?

How hard can this be to code given the number of smart programmers at Tesla?

The current protocol of having a human load the cars one at a time is absurdly slow. It's a time-wasting exercise with a bunch of not svelte truck drivers sliding their bottoms past the B-pillar trim and the door card (which doesn't do them any favors) that is also a drag on deliveries and our stock price.

And it's dumb.

Reactions: AZRI11 and MC3OZ
I have wondered for quite some time why transport trailers are not being lined up at the factory gate. Teslas have been able to Summon into very tight garages for years now, so why can't they "Summon" themselves into a transport trailer when directed to do so at the factory?
Getting a car on a car carrier is not that simple as all the transport damage on cars of every type shows. (The tires and suspension get very beat up during transport). There is actually a skill involved. You'd need at least a couple of extra cameras in front at low level, and at back for the rearward facing cars.

How hard can this be to code given the number of smart programmers at Tesla?

The current protocol of having a human load the cars one at a time is absurdly slow. It's a time-wasting exercise with a bunch of not svelte truck drivers sliding their bottoms past the B-pillar trim and the door card (which doesn't do them any favors) that is also a drag on deliveries and our stock price.

And it's dumb.

Seems like one of those tasks that Tesla could feasibly automate but with unanticipated inefficiencies, sort of like over-roboticizing the Model 3 line initially.

Reactions: saniflash
Getting a car on a car carrier is not that simple as all the transport damage on cars of every type shows. (The tires and suspension get very beat up during transport). There is actually a skill involved. You'd need at least a couple of extra cameras in front at low level, and at back for the rearward facing cars.

I politely disagree.

I've only watched cars being loaded and unloaded about a half dozen times. The width of the track is fixed, and the distance fore and aft is easily measured autonomously.

The truck driver eyes are not at a low level. He/She's only got two of them (not eight), and they are likely somewhere about a foot or two above the steering wheel . . . .

I repeat: A smart coder should be able to solve this problem.

All the truck driver would have to do is tie the vehicles down, and then deliver the trailer to an unload point.

But we are a bit OT at this point, but perhaps I'll suggest it at the Shareholders meeting. Didn't Tesla buy a manufacturer of auto transport trailers in 2018 or '19? I see all sorts of possibilities for this, especially if using their own, identical, in-house trailers . . .

Last edited:
Typical TSLA (groundhog) Day:

Frankfurt exchange walk down
Pre premarket trans continental coordinated bear attack
Premarket walk down
Scheduled drop at the market open
Mid morning dip
Late morning Whack -a -mole
Lunch time low volume drop
Post lunch resumption of whack -a -mole
Frantic pre close market melt down sell off
After hrs beat down .

Rinse and Repeat .

I politely disagree.

I've only watched cars being loaded and unloaded about a half dozen times. The width of the track is fixed, and the distance fore and aft is easily measured autonomously.

The truck driver eyes are not at a low level. He/She's only got two of them (not eight), and they are likely somewhere about a foot or two above the steering wheel . . . .

I repeat: A smart coder should be able to solve this problem.

All the truck driver would have to do is tie the vehicles down, and then deliver the trailer to an unload point.
I hate to say this, but in a past life I had to deal with all the tire complaints from transport damage. The damage is often not visible to someone watching, but initial short tire life (alignment gets knocked out), cuts that cause failures later (the tracks can damage the tires' sidewall), and tread damage (the diamond pattern put there for traction can cut the tread if the tires happen to spin), are all too common. And from what I read on the forum, transport damage is still common (although often not identified as happening during transport). To make it work, additional hardware would be required to accurately track the tracks.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11

They might need to modify the trailer, for example a target that the car can drive towards and other aids/markings to assist the car in accurately loading... and they will need to ensure the cars cameras are accurately calibrated before trying this...

As well if the trailer is parked in the exact same location each time, car can be required to be in the exact same location before starting out. Then it is an identical sequence of steps... which the car can have in memory...

If cars were self loading they could go a bit slower, perhaps the truck drops the trailer and picks up a full one?

So if might be possible if Tesla owns the trailers and modifies them to make self loading possible..

Overall not impossible, but will take some time and money to get it right.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Yeah, my Dad used to work at Convoy and I've seen many carriers loaded (and unloaded) so I concur with your assessment. However, knowing this is Tesla we're talking about, this sounds like a great opportunity to improve the process, especially in conjunction with the coming Semi... who knows what the future brings?